Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag Trigger observations (Read 1787 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Trigger observations
Dec 17th, 2019 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Attached are some pictures, I took today, showing details of the U.S. Krag trigger.

1. Relationship of Sear & Cocking-Piece Sear Notch.

2. Position of Trigger, when there is complete Sear Engagement.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Trigger observations
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2019 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Stage 1: As the Trigger is pulled, its "front-hump"radius bears on bottom of receiver, causing the Sear to begin to descend.
The "rear-hump" of the Trigger makes contact with bottom tang of the receiver. (This contact can distinctly be felt).

Stage 2: Continuing to pull the Trigger causes it to lever on the "rear-hump" and draw the Sear totally out of engagement with the Cocking-Piece. The Striker is released.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2019 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Krag Sear/Trigger Spring detail:

(FWIW - I imagine a slightly lighter Trigger-Pull, and easier reassembly, could be achieved by carefully removing some material from both ends of this spring or by substituting a quality spring with less tension).
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2019 at 6:33am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2019 at 1:40am
Print Post  
A Radical Idea:

The Krag Trigger/Sear assembly is anchored to the receiver and pivots on a 'knuckle' that is on the front part of the Sear. This 'knuckle' fits into a hole machined into the receiver. The 'working' surface is the outside of this 'knuckle'.

There is a manufacturing hole through the 'knuckle' and a blind hole at the bottom of the receiver recess for the Sear.
A 'Stepped Pin' could be fashioned to serve as a support pivot for the trigger/sear assembly.

This pin might provide a smoother pivot, through internal support. Since the two holes are different diameters, the pin needs to be 'stepped'.

(If I had a Lathe and better understanding of steels, I would make one and try it out).

These are approximate dimensions; the larger diameter is for the hole in the receiver.
If such a pin was inserted, large end first, into the 'blind hole' in the receiver, the smaller diameter would point outward and serve as an 'axel' for the sear/trigger assembly.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2019 at 6:43am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2019 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Till we get there with that pin, one could carefully hone any dings off the knuckle and lightly lube it for the least friction. I could see an extension on your pin and a nut on the outside for support. I would not overly polish the outside of the knuckle or the corresponding bore in the receiver other wise slop could be introduced that could have a negative effect on pull consistency.

Nicely detailed photos by the way!

On spring mods do them carefully, you can remove so much tension that the trigger will not return if partially pulled. I was pig hunting at night and pulled the trigger on my Enfield, to the point it almost discharged. The pig moved and I took my finger off and was pushing on the safety causing it to discharge. Quite unsettling besides spooking the pigs. Many hardware stores will have an assortment of compression springs, probably once you find a likely candidate the piece will be long enough to make many springs.

Grammar and spelling mostly corrected. Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2019 at 3:03pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 26th, 2019 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
What # trigger pull should a Krag have? But I would think that the sear engagement/angles would be more important than the trigger knuckle in achieving a better than average trigger.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
I am just thinking about smoothness, by reducing friction and creep in a two-stage trigger.

It is likely the optimal 'release', for the second stage, is 3 to 3 1/2 pounds.
This keeps a margin of safety and probably complies with most Match Rules.

The angles and engagement are probably "OK" in the Krag trigger, as issued.

What I don't like is the 'mechanical roughness' or 'Creep', I notice in some military triggers.

IMHO - In the Krag, this would likely be improved by carefully 'stoning' and lubricating the working surfaces to reduce friction and also in improving the 'spring action'.

My 'trigger pin or pivot' idea, just seems like a possible and 'legal' way to reduce friction of the issue, "knuckle & Socket", arrangement.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
I agree that smoothness, a clean and recognizable break and exact reproducibility are key aspects to trigger characteristics with shooting. The break doesn't have to be too low, even 4 pounds is fine, because of the extra weight of the Krag. It handles well and the recoil is easy to handle for resetting for the next shot.  I use a shooting grease on my Krag triggers after stoning them for smoothness. Holds and lasts better than most oils.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
My thought on a krag sear mod would be a centered spring loaded bearing in the sear knuckle at 2-3 oclock to push against the rearward force exerted by the sear spring. But I’m curious how your pin idea works out. I stole your photo for my drawing if you don’t mind.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint