Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Early Testing In 1894 - Nevada (Read 925 times)
Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Early Testing In 1894 - Nevada
Dec 28th, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Below is a link to "Appendix to Journals of Senate and Assembly" for the state of Nevada. Starting on page 11 is an interesting trial of the Krag rifle by National Guard members in 1894.  One such remark I found particularly interesting on page 15: 

"If, as in the days of the Army of the Potomac, when, with leather collars and burnished barrels, men were drilled to stand up and die like soldiers, but not taught to kill, this rifle is a complete success. But, if on the contrary, it became desirable or necessary to teach men to become masters of their weapons, self-reliant, and how to kill, this rifle is absolutely worthless."

Wow, this must be an old boy from the Civil War with one of the most scathing comments I've read so far on the Krag rifle. Oh, and he didn't like the sights and his men got slight headaches from the fumes of the powder. In closing, he said:

"permit me to suggest that our militiaman requires Americanism, perfect mastership of his weapon, discipline and drill, in order named, and until the principles are thoroughly taught, and as much attention paid to the fitting of a perfect weapon to the man as to the cut of his coat, your militia will not be found available for all purposes nor up to the standard you require."

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
nate&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjarbS5_tjmAhVGHc0KHWWRCWU4ChD
oATAAegQIABAC#v=onepage&q=krag%20jorgensen%20senate&f=false

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Early Testing In 1894 - Nevada
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Heck, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a bullet from or a bayonet attached to a Krag rifle in battle. Seems like it would have been pretty effective to me, at least compared to the Trap door single shot!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
"Damn Foreign Rifle" ....

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
My Great Grandpappy would say those would be fightin' words. Grin

He could have gotten a lever action in .30 Winchester Centerfire for deer hunting. But instead he got a lever action in .30 Government (like he had in his army rifle), so he must have been sold on it. Whenever he got the Winchester (made in 1899) the Krag rifle likely wasn't being sold by the government yet. Otherwise, he may have sporterized one for hunting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint