Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 Bought an 1998 on GB (Read 4081 times)
Lead Pusher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Bought an 1998 on GB
Dec 30th, 2019 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I won an auction on GB for an 1898 Krag. It is in carbine fashion though I doubt started life that way. Serial number is 86959. The barrel has a nice standard crown to its 22" length but the front sight is a Springfield 1903 style. the stock has been cut down and had the cleaning rod hole nicely filled in. Can hardly make it out. A pistol grip was cut in and some crude checkering done. I have a new 80% walnut stock that I'll fit to it.  A magazine cut-off style peep had been mounted and some tack welding(very small spot) has held it tight. The sight had been broken so all that remained was the base. It broke of with just a bit of pressure. A touchup with 320 grit polished off the spot weld. Now I need to locate a cut-off lever. My goal is to get it looking nice again and paper punch with it. Smiley

IP Logged

Lead Pusher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Bought an 1998 on GB
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
In addition to my original post, the sling on it may or not be an original. The front attachment is a hook affair thing and it has a steel buckle. Very old looking leather strap.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Looks nice for a sporter, it could be a very good shooter also.
FYI the "8" is probably a "3" punched a little deep.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
'Lead Pusher' - Your Krag, #86959, is actually a 'cut-down' model 1896 rifle. It was likely manufactured around December, 1897, to February, 1898.

FWIW - The "Model 1896" receiver stamping is often deep and easily misread. The 1896 and 1898 actions (and parts) have many differences.
Some 1898 parts, especially the Bolt Mechanism, will work on the earlier Krag actions. Some magazine mechanism parts will not.

The model 1896 Cut-Off Lever has a long shaft, however, the shorter model 1898 Cut-Off will also work on a model 1896 action.

The model 1896 action requires additional wood removal, in the bolt-handle area, in order to seat in a Stock fitted to a model 1898 action.

Pictures of the remains of your rear 'peep' sight would allow likely identification by Forum Members.

It looks like your barrel-band is for a 1903 Springfield rifle.
Your Stock did not have a 'Clearing-Rod'. The filled-hole at the Stock-Tip was a channel to lighten the Stock. It became exposed when the Stock was shortened.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
My OOPs. If that is a 1896 with a five digit number the first number may be an "8". Did not even count the digits, sorry if I confused things.

IP Logged

Lead Pusher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the information. I wondered about that band not looking like the other Krags I've seen. I need to find one of those too. The gun is far from a collector piece but to me it will be a nice addition to my collection. A fun gun to shoot.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
After all that's happened to it over the past 120 years, it's still a Krag! Enjoy it!

IP Logged

Lead Pusher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I went and looked at the date on it and it is an 1896. The 6 is smudged a bit. I thought I might have a barrel band but it must be from another model gun. It's very loose on the stock. Are there different bands for the Krag that I need to look for?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
All U.S. Krag Rifle rear barrel-bands are the same.

Photo of Krag (rifle) Barrel-Band on 'cut-down' Stock:
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2019 at 9:44pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
I have a sporter pretty much the same, except my rear sight is still a Model 1896. However, the barrel is from a 1903 Springfield and the barrel had been tapped for the two rear sight screws. I don't know what your intentions are for a rear sight, you may want to make sure it has mounting holes on the barrel. That may help you decide. A peep sight may still be your best bet from an installation and cost standpoint. But hey, it's your gun.

IP Logged

Mark21
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 31st, 2019 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I have a 1896 long shaft cut off.  If you want it PM me.

IP Logged

Lead Pusher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2019 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I have a barrel band and a short cut off coming. The short cut off works I'm told on the 96. When I ordered it I was thinking I had a 98. I fitted the new stock this morning and I am glass bedding the action so it's snug. I have some 96 rear sight parts coming from Grandpas' Parts and I will install them on the base I have. I do have a Williams  Krag peep sight that I may go to later on if I have a time with the standard rear sight. My eyes aren't the best. I was looking at the sling that was on this girl when I got her. I have never seen one like it before. It's not like the 1887 sling. Don't know what it's off of.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Does the receiver read "1896" or Model 1896"?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Lead Pusher
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
My receiver says Model 1896. I mentioned the sling that was on it which is very old. It's not one that would have been used like the 1887. (I think that was the Krag sling)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Gosh, you post some Big Pictures!

I believe your sling is commercial and of a type that was popular in Europe and Britain (including use on shotguns).

It should have two of the "sling-hooks" which are intended to attach to a simple "eye-fitting" that screws into the butt and forearm, or an "eye" brazed/soldered onto the barrel(s).

IIRC - Winchester also offered this sling arrangement on a custom basis.

This system offers a quickly detachable sling, but, can be noisy with metal on metal contact.

The use of this "sling-hook" on your Krag is rather redundant, since you already have front and rear swivels.

The "sliding-buckle" is clever, secure, snag-proof and quiet. I don't believe it is "military". A smaller version is seen on some binocular cases.
A buckle of similar type may be found on some Horse Equipment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint