Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Another project 1903 Springfield (Read 4674 times)
Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Another project 1903 Springfield
Reply #15 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
I’ll take one only if FredC can get the price point down a lot from the current $30,000.00- 40,000.00. Hey, how about Uberti, they’ll make anything. WW1 reenactors would love it except the Pedersen assault never happened. Duh. And I finally read what the spring and plunger were for on the spindle, to keep pressure on the ejector to prevent it from binding up the PD when it was removed from the rifle. Nice pictures.

Had an aha! moment and figured the cutoff spindle out. It uses a spring and plunger to keep pressure on the ejector so the ejector doesn’t interfere with removing the PD. That end of the spindle is hollow and as such can’t have a piece milled out all the way around for the cutoff lock screw to lock into like the later solid spindles so there’s a simple hole for the screw. The slot on the end is simply there to orient it as the hole and slot are aligned. Brilliant, [the design-not me].
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2020 at 11:01pm by Baltimoreed »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 4:28am
Print Post  
FWIW - Pedersen had patents filed in 1917 and granted in 1920.

The numbers I found were: 1355417, 1355418, 1355419, and 1355420.

From reading through the documents, IMHO, patents 1355417 and 1355420 seem most relevant to the Model 1903 Mark-1 Springfield Pedersen Device.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Tried to talk my wife into using some of her inheritance and bid on this auction lot...What an investment opportunity I says!...Ain't gonna happen she says. Cry 

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Listed below is a c&arsenal pedersen device you tube video:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Built a Mk1 dummy spindle to go on my Mk1 out of a Marlin stock bolt.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 6:37am
Print Post  
"Baltimoreed" working on his 1903 Stock!

Actually, a Springfield Armory worker shaping a regular model 1903 stock at one of the Hill Shops, (circa 1910).

Also, a view of the 1903 Mk-1 Springfield ejection port and necessary stock clearance cut.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:31am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Made it tacticool with a 1903 extended mag that Numrich sells. 11+1, fed them fine, supposed to hold ten but this one held 11 and the bolt closed. Now I’ll be competitive with the enfield guys at our next club BAMM shoot. Doesn’t look too off the wall like the air service rifle mags do.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Wow, that looks kind of Nautical .... Submariner Model?

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Feb 16th, 2020 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Started on another 03 build. This one is going to be a .30 cal target big brother to my 1922M2 .22. Still waiting for the donor rifle to arrive but a few parts have come in. Have been playing with a duffle cut ‘c’ stock with patches trying to make the patches disappear. I think I’ve about got it done except for the forend tip and truoil.

IP Logged

1911Ron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Feb 22nd, 2020 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Great job on the restoration! I like the "carbine" what's the story behind it, if you don't mind?

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 1:20am
Print Post  
 Ron, It started out as one thing but ended up another. I like project builds so I found this 1930 vintage sporterized 1903 a few years ago. It had an unmolested recvr but only a 21 inch very molested bbl. My initial build never happened and the rifle got ignored for years. Well I suggested that my cas club try a BAM match so I used a Krag and a couple DA revolvers. The match was a big hit so the guys decided on a 1911 pistol BAM match so I decided to remilitarize my cut down rifle to have a sorta correct rifle to use for a 1911 BAM match. Wore my 1912 summer uniform ala Pershing's Punitive Expedition.
  As the bbl was roughly cut 3 inches I cut the stock 3 inches to keep things proportional, moved the lower bbl band back 2 inches and reshaped the handguard to blend it. I cut the grasping grooves on my HF mini mill. It had no gi sights, just Williams front and rear sights. The replacement stock was a junky scant stock that I reshaped, stained and refinished. I recut the muzzle face, installed a rear sight collar and front sight and slicked up the action. Used all milled parts. The extra Williams sight holes are hidden under the handguard except for one at the muzzle. The pix is how I did the handguard, it’s actually 2 handguards cut at their humps. Of course the hump end is shortened an inch and the skinny end cut 2 inches. Doing it this way allowed me to keep both of the steel handguard inserts. The curved brass is epoxied to the hump end and the skinny part goes over it. The bbl band holds it all together. I also pinned and glued a block onto the end of the stock to hide the exposed lightening cut under the upper bbl band. Looks like its a solid stock. Last month I bought one of the extended 1903 mags for it. It’s a really handy dandy carbine.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2020 at 3:13pm by Baltimoreed »  

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Excellent work as usual Baltimoreed!

Here's a pic of a 1903 that I refurbished a number of years ago sporting a 20 round extended mag.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2020 at 1:59am by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Neat build. Can’t never have too much ammo.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Can't never have too much!

IP Logged

1911Ron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Baltimoreed wrote on Feb 23rd, 2020 at 1:20am:
 Ron, It started out as one thing but ended up another. I like project builds so I found this 1930 vintage sporterized 1903 a few years ago. It had an unmolested recvr but only a 21 inch very molested bbl. My initial build never happened and the rifle got ignored for years. Well I suggested that my cas club try a BAM match so I used a Krag and a couple DA revolvers. The match was a big hit so the guys decided on a 1911 pistol BAM match so I decided to remilitarize my cut down rifle to have a sorta correct rifle to use for a 1911 BAM match. Wore my 1912 summer uniform ala Pershing's Punitive Expedition.
  As the bbl was roughly cut 3 inches I cut the stock 3 inches to keep things proportional, moved the lower bbl band back 2 inches and reshaped the handguard to blend it. I cut the grasping grooves on my HF mini mill. It had no gi sights, just Williams front and rear sights. The replacement stock was a junky scant stock that I reshaped, stained and refinished. I recut the muzzle face, installed a rear sight collar and front sight and slicked up the action. Used all milled parts. The extra Williams sight holes are hidden under the handguard except for one at the muzzle. The pix is how I did the handguard, it’s actually 2 handguards cut at their humps. Of course the hump end is shortened an inch and the skinny end cut 2 inches. Doing it this way allowed me to keep both of the steel handguard inserts. The curved brass is epoxied to the hump end and the skinny part goes over it. The bbl band holds it all together. I also pinned and glued a block onto the end of the stock to hide the exposed lightening cut under the upper bbl band. Looks like its a solid stock. Last month I bought one of the extended 1903 mags for it. It’s a really handy dandy carbine.

It does look like a real handy Rifle, thank you for the write up!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint