Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krags of Southern Illinois in the 1920's (Read 1200 times)
Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krags of Southern Illinois in the 1920's
Jan 11th, 2020 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Guns of the Charlie Birger gang of Williamson County, Illinois.  Photos taken at the "Shady Rest".  The truck was referred to as a "tank", being armored.  It was used in open fighting with another gang and against the KKK.

The firearms were not for posturing,,,,,,

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krags of Southern Illinois in the 1920's
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately for bootlegger Charlie Birger, he didn't have a Krag to display in this photo. In 1928 he was apparently the last person publicly hung in the state of Illinois.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Southern Illinois Hospitality!

I only see two likely Krags in the photos. It is too hard to tell, if they are 'cut-down' rifles or carbines.

'Charlie' is wearing a suit and appears to be smiling at his execution. That is some 'Attitude'.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2020 at 6:56pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Fascinating story!

(I didn't realize the KKK was pro-Prohibition and blamed ethnic minorities and Catholics for supporting 'Bootlegging').

Here are closer views of the two guys with likely Krags:

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
I must say, I'm tickled to see the response to the OP, especially so to realize Knute is also an Illinoisan.

Charlie was widely reported to be in affable spirits and joking.  IIRC, he was the last publicly executed in the state.  My wife is a retired V.A. nurse who did home visits for veterans when they got down enough that going to the VA was too hard for them. 

One of her last patients was a gentleman from Benton who witnessed the hanging as a boy.  TBQH, it still troubled him all these years later.

If anyone else is interested, there is a fine book called "Bloody Williamson" that gives some very good reading.

I would also note that Williamson, Jackson, and Perry citizens contributed to a company of men who fought as a recognized Illinois force for the South during the War of Northern Agression.  I cannot lay hands on the book at the moment and am unable to recall the title, my apologies.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Per 'Wikipedia', Shachna 'Charlie' Birger was born in Russia to Jewish parents in 1881. (1883 appears on his gravestone).

When a child, his family emigrated to the U.S. and settled in St. Louis, Mo., where he grew up.

On July 5th, 1901, he entered the 13th U.S. Cavalry, Troop "G" at Ft. Meade, S.D. He was Honorably Discharged, on July 4th, 1904, and was reported to be a good soldier. (It appears the 13th U.S. Cavalry was in the Philippines from 1903 to 1905. I don't know if Birger saw service in the P.I.).

Apparently, Charles Birger was married four times. It appears, his first wife's name was Beatrice ('Bee'). They divorced.
(His fourth wife was named Bernice).
He worked as a Newsboy, soldier, cowboy, Coal Miner, Mine Operator, Saloon Keep, and Bootlegger & proprietor of the "Shady Rest".

IMHO - He is a lot more interesting than Clyde Barrow. He would make a good subject for a quality movie, about the wild era and area, he lived in!

In the photos, he looks pretty fit for a 'middle-age' man, with bullet proof vest, leather puttees, and all.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2020 at 2:03am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Birger's family and fate of the 'Shady Rest'.

Birger obit. and another gang picture (They had quite the 'photo shoot' that day).
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2020 at 2:08am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint