Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
I may have found me a good one! (Read 1552 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

I may have found me a good one!
Jan 12th, 2020 at 4:05am
Print Post  
A good bullet mold that is!  I managed to snag a Hoch 314225 nose pour mold off ebay for a reasonable price.  Being nose pour, it'll have a little flat at the tip of the otherwise round nose, but I think the ogive will move the nose out enough that the flat won't be hitting the edge of the chamber.  I really like nose pour molds and have several Eagan molds.  First cast bullet I ever shot out of my Krag was from an Eagan mold that I had made with the cherry from Eagan's estate and it was more than just a little impressive!  Made me toss my Lee 160gr to the side as I could not get a good base from it.  I've since figured out why I kept getting outtie cutoffs, the top of the mold had burrs on the edge and the sprue plate was sitting above the mold body!  It was a single cavity off Lee's bargain page, so I wasn't out much.  They don't even make the single cavity molds anymore!  Back to the Hoch, I'll have to see if the nose casts big enough for my rifle, but I think I've finally found the bullet that will be into the rifling and under max magazine length.

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: I may have found me a good one!
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Looks like a good one, not only for the Krag, but any other US thirty cal, looking forward to hearing the casting dimensions.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
I bid on a whim Rich, as I really don't need it.  My 311284 really fits just fine, it's a NOE, so the basing is good, but I suspect this 225 will cast a little heavier in my alloy than the 284s.  I don't know what alloy Hoch based their bullet weights on.  I'll likely start working more with 860 since I got another 8lbs at Camp Perry a couple years ago.  The mold will be here soon, the seller is here in Ohio.  He's the same guy I bought the Eagan cherries from years ago.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2020 at 9:21pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
It's here already! It's going to have a big nose!  Not huge maybe .303-.304".  A good bullet for those large bore Krags or .303s perhaps.  It'll be about the same length as my 311284.  The .3025" ogive of one of the 284s will fit down inside the nose of the Hoch mold.  The driving bands don't line up or the whole bullet would fit down in there!  The sprue plate does not line up with the nose cut as good as an Eagan mold does, it's off center.  It's off center and there's no adjustment.  I thought I noticed that in the auction pics.  Might not be any problem, I'll see.

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 7:26am
Print Post  
If you never had a Hoch nose-pour mould before, you are in for a treat.  Too bad about the gas check.  Just adding a second part to a cast bullet means you are increasing the probability that something will go amiss with your bullet. 

I shoot only lead & tin alloys in a 28-30 Stevens.  I breech-seat my bullets.  I have 5 moulds; 2 Lyman 285221s, 2 Pope nose-pour and a Hoch 140 grain nose-pour.  I'll take the Hoch every time.  Far easier to use than the Popes.

AFAIK, Hoch bullets are designed to shoot as cast.  Try them as cast before you try running them through a lubrisizer.  Seat the gas check and then pan-lube them.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
There's a conversation going on the CBA forum about basing.  I've seen it make a big difference in one case.  If I'd have purchased the .308 version of the NOE MX2-30-H, I could have compared nose pour vs base pour with nearly identical bullets, but I bought the larger sizes, since I already had the .308 Eagan version, which isn't easy to cast with.  He made the vent lines big for someone so if I try pressure casting with my ladle they come out with fin bones sticking out of them!  I figured out how to pour just right with a Rowell ladle to stop that. I do often wonder how much of an effect that little divet on the base can make.  This is my first Hoch mold, for better or for worse, I'll see how it goes.  I know I have some barrels that slug larger than the parkerized Krag's barrel, the bullet ought to fit one them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint