Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Owned a Krag for 40 years, just found this forum (Read 1107 times)
Rkg1898
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Owned a Krag for 40 years, just found this forum
Jan 13th, 2020 at 2:12am
Print Post  
I have a sporterized Krag that was given me in 1979 to pay a debt. I don’t know details about who did the modifications, but they did a nice job. It’s a pretty rifle with a rich wood stock, deep bluing, and a receiver-mounted peep sight.

I’ve never hunted with it but have occasionally enjoyed plinking or taking it to a range. However, I haven’t fired it in at least 15 years, as rifle ranges near my home dried up as new laws and skyrocketing insurance rates shut them down one after another.

However, now that I’m moving out of the Democratic Peoples Republic of California, I’m going to take up shooting again. At last!

I plan to shoot cast bullets in the Krag and look forward to learning more about the gun, reloading for it, and finding glasses that will allow me to see the front sight.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Owned a Krag for 40 years, just found this forum
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Welcome to KCA and congratulations in moving out of California!

Since you have a nice shooting sporterized Krag, you can spend some quality time reviewing all of the old Krag blogs for sporterized Krags and the other posts. Hopefully we can excite you enough to get the Krag fever and buy an authentic military configuration Krag and start collecting them as well as shooting them. It is addicting.

We always enjoy seeing new and different Krags so, if you have the chance, please post some pictures of your treasure. You have had it a long time! I was in high school in 1979.

So, welcome again!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
'Rkg1898' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. Lots of good guys here with varied experiences and interests.

I've shot and collected guns, since I was a Kid. I finally bought my first Krag 40 years ago. It was a 'sporterized' model 1896 rifle, that had been much altered for Deer Hunting in the Michigan Woods.

I like the 'correct', as issued, U.S. Military models, but, I retain a soft spot in my heart for nicely altered Deer Getters.

Many of us enjoy photographs of each others treasures and learn from each other!

As 'Whig' suggested, explore old threads and the various 'corners' of the KCA site.

IP Logged

Texas10
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Welcome to the Krag forum, ex-californian (me too, BTW).
My dad bought a sporterized krag in Waco, TX as he left Ft. Hood for Christmas leave. That was 1942, I think. I've got a pic of him in his Army uniform standing next to a buck he and his brother took over the holidays, the Krag by his side.

I inherited it and a few of his other guns, but it sat in the closet for years. I'd only shot it once in 1970, so after finding this site, I decided to take it out for a spin, with ammo that was over 50 years old.

It shot great! The peep sight (like yours?) was easy to use, and the following fall, I took my first deer with it.

That was about 75 years to close that loop, and I'll always cherish that memory.

I'm currently reloading with new Winchester brass, and 220 gr round nose Hornadays. Still shoots great, and a look down the bore with my new Teslong borescope (cheap, only $50 on amazon) reveals lands and grooves in excellent condition with little rust pitting and very good throat with mild fire cracking.

Not bad for an old military firearm that's 122 years old!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint