Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
 25 Accidental discharge! (Read 7720 times)
Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Re: Accidental discharge!
Reply #30 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 6:22am
Print Post  
FredC wrote on Jan 15th, 2020 at 3:00am:
. . . Still planning to take the front step off the trigger to lengthen first stage travel. No down side to that plus a little extra sear engaged initially is a good thing. . .

Downside is that shortening the front hump will likely also lengthen the second stage, making it feel both heavier and "creepy". Restoring short, crisp second stage will then require taking some off the rear hump.

In other words, if the second stage is good now, don't hump it!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #31 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Parashooter,
Take a look at reply#6 Butlersrangers reposted one of my photos with a box drawn around the trigger where it will contact the trigger guard. On the front of the trigger there is a small pad that limits the sear engagement and maybe a little extra thickness at that point. I intend to take that pad off as well as a little extra on that front surface. I too like the humps of the first stage and do not intend to touch them. Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2020 at 12:08am by FredC »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #32 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Details, this next one is a small thing that may not of contributed, but I will address it also. In the bottom of the recess that the sear is installed, in the area of the pivot pin I did some scraping with a burr knife. It must have been a little tight there or I would not have done that scraping. There are a couple of smooth spots that could have been made with fine wet or dry sand paper or could be wear from the sear. The sear with the pivot just above does not show any wear ,but just in case I will go in there now with a small milling cutter to make it a little deeper. You can see the angles on the inside of the corner on the trigger, I must have been at the limit of the depth the grinding wheel could do. This was a borrowed surface grinder and my boss probably would not have appreciated me dressing all that material off his grinding wheels.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2020 at 5:55pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #33 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Gee whiz.  A week in Niger and all heck breaks loose.

Glad nothing but the wall and a little pride was damaged.

signed

The little Ohio guy in Africa. Angry Cheesy

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #34 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Fred - Here is a nice drawing you can enlarge, frame, and hang on the wall .... hint, hint.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #35 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
You guys see the overtravel stop in this system?  It's in the wood, right below the trigger spring housing.  Whenever I look at a used stock, I look to see if that area's been messed with.  Course it has to be properly timed with the sear.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #36 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jan 15th, 2020 at 6:19pm:
Fred - Here is a nice drawing you can enlarge, frame, and hang on the wall .... hint, hint.

Since I have given up on using the hole for a pencil sharpener, your suggesting that I hang the drawing over the hole to cover it? If so I am catching on.

The drawing was made way before CAD was available so I expect a few discrepancies. The trigger guard that came with this sporter had been pounded flat (changing the distance between the screw holes.). The one in BR's drawing has one angle, the one I bought from Dan Lowry has two angles. Model change, my new one is wrong or just an oversight on the drawing?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #37 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 12:35am
Print Post  
I believe all U.S. Krag trigger-guards are interchangeable between models.

Nothing simple about the Krag. The trigger-guard screws are angled.
As you say, there appear to be a couple angles in the trigger-plate section of the guard.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #38 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
I just want to add that was some kind of good shooting.

Well done.  See you at Camp Perry. Cheesy

(Didn't want ButlersRangers to feel disappointed about me not yucking it up.  Still glad no one got hurt)

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #39 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
You really can't put too much stock in one shot.

Rifle performance should be judged on "repeatability" .... meaning Groups.

Remember to wear Hearing Protection!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #40 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
You guys started it...

Guy Creates A Pistol That Can Shoot IKEA Wooden Pencils:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #41 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 12:35am:
I believe all U.S. Krag trigger-guards are interchangeable between models.

Nothing simple about the Krag. The trigger-guard screws are angled.
As you say, there appear to be a couple angles in the trigger-plate section of the guard.

Good to know I did not trade one bad trigger guard for another.

On repeatability I once delivered parts to Mr. Kleinguenther while they were sighting in a new 375 H&H magnum. 3 shot group with less than 1/8 in center to center at 100 meters, I was dumb founded that an elephant gun could shoot that tight a group. They said that 375s usually do that well. I guess the reasons a 375 is not used for regular target shooting is the recoil is somewhat punishing, it uses a lot of powder, and lack of good bullets with a high ballistic coefficient.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #42 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
"Heavy Artillery" is accurate.

BTW - The .300 H&H was a popular 1,000 yard match cartridge at Camp Perry. But, it's tough on pencils and walls!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #43 - Feb 1st, 2020 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I have done a lot of repairs and enhancement to the trigger since the last post. Today I made a new pivot pin to increase the press fit. Also deepened the groove in the trigger for clearance and smoothed up the hole with a couple of turns of rolled up abrasive cloth in the sear spring hole. I thought it could not hurt to smooth out any dingle berries and scale from heat treat. Took a photo to show what I did and found another contributor. That ding on the 5 o-clock position of the sear on the right was big enough to catch the over sized spring. It was a perfect storm of mistakes. I had assembled and disassembled this thing so many times I forgot to lube the trigger assembly, flipped the spring that used to work and did not catch the ding that had probably always been there. Some of the other things you all suggested are potential problems others could run into. These threads we think are only viewed by us regulars may be viewed by thousands of others. Before this is over I will go through and make a list of things to check based on suggestions made here.  I have made a bunch photos of the work so far and will post them soon.

I need to get some real gun grease as I can not find the old tube, the only reason I did not assemble the trigger today. good thing as it gave me time to make the photos. I plan on stopping at a gun shop Monday as I will be going to a dentist in San Antonio. No good places to find gun grease in Dewees.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #44 - Feb 5th, 2020 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I want to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. Some I did not acknowledge at the time because I knew it was not a contributor to my accident or another member addressed it. But this thread will be read by many in the future and those non issues for me will be helpful to others, so again thanks.

I do have some more photos and observations that I may add to another thread as I think this one should be for fixing or preventing ADs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint