Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1898 Krag - Ser 203929 (Read 1422 times)
Nevinator
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 Krag - Ser 203929
Jan 14th, 2020 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
I was out hitting some pawnshops today and came across an 1898 Krag rifle.  It has a nice 1901 cartouche and a P proof mark behind the trigger guard.  The barrel is frosted, but the bluing is decent.

I don’t have a Krag in my collection but think that this might be a nice addition.  I’m not looking for a shooter.  Any idea what the fair market value (range) might be?  The shop is asking $695.

Thanks.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Krag - Ser 203929
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Useful info for figuring a fair price,
Hand guard
Type of sight
Color of stock and hand guard. The lighter Italian stocks might be worth more or not
Cleaning rods under the butt plate
Barrel length and original front sight
Even if you do not shoot it condition of the bore will affect what it is worth

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
That price is not way out of line if the Krag is still in military configuration. We would need more info and pictures to give a better answer. If it is sporterized in any significant way, the value probably drops to $350-400.

More info would help.

It's great, though, to be checking here before buying. Too many people buy first, without any knowledge of Krags, and come here asking questions. Then we frequently give them the "bad" news.

Good luck and welcome!

IP Logged

Nevinator
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 2:20am
Print Post  
Thanks for responding so quickly.  I do know that the rear sight goes out to 2000 yards (20 marked on the leaf).  I did not see a “C” marking on the sight which I know would make it more valuable.

Not sure what I should be looking for on the handguard, so any help there would be appreciated.  The front sight needs a replacement.  Someone did a bush fix and inserted a portion of a dime where the blade on the front sight should be and then re-pinned it.

The stock and cartouche are in VG to excellent condition.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 3:22am
Print Post  
If you go back to the main page, click on the Krag Collectors Assoc. logo on the top right of the page, then click on photos. Different sights are shown as well as hand guards.
If the one you are looking at has a factory front sight  that putting a part of a dime in there is fairly common so that may be a good sign.
Ask at the pawn shop if you can take some photos, members here can tell you many things about where it fits with all the possible variations.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Krag SN: 203929 was made in the middle of 1899 and is situated in the range of rifles so the rear site could be a M1896 rifle rear sight that is calibrated to 1800 yards. It could also be a M1898 rear sight from the Springfield Armory that is calibrated to 2000 yards with three notches in the eyepiece. These rear sights have been changed many times from the armory and by owners over the years. The sights are interchangeable on the barrel but the hand guard needs to be appropriate for the specific sight. The "Photos" section of the KCA website, as Fred mentioned above, has pictures of these parts shown.

Any changes to the rifle from original armory manufacture can significantly change the value. If the barrel has been cut or the stock has been altered or holes drilled in the receiver or the front sight base changed, the value can be negligible and only used as a shooter. Krags like this have no collector's value. A correct front sight base, dovetailed and brazed to the barrel, can have the blade replaced to make it correct.

A collector is also interested in the condition of the bore. Pretty much only a documented issued rifle, as noted in the Springfield Research Service manuals, can be a collectible if the bore is bad. Your Krag's serial number is not listed in these manuals.

That's why we need more info and pictures. The "c" marked rear sights are only seen officially on Krag carbines that have exactly 22" barrels.

IP Logged

Nevinator
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the detailed information about this rifle and the particular aspects that I need to pay attention to.  From everything posted here, it appears this rifle has the 2,000 yard rear sight, but the frosted barrel is a big negative for me.

Y’all saved me $695.  I’ll keep looking.  Thank you!

Here are a few photos I was able to snap while looking at the rifle...
(See Link):  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Good choice! You're one of the smarter ones to ask here before plopping down some greenbacks for something you're not really wanting to buy.

Let us know about the next prospect!

IP Logged

Nevinator
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Will do, for sure!  Many thanks again!

IP Logged

cquickel
KCA Forum Member

Krag Lover

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
You mind if I add your rifle to the KCA serial number database?

Curt Quickel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint