Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Trying to find out what I should pay 30-40 Krag (Read 1072 times)
gostrider
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Trying to find out what I should pay 30-40 Krag
Jan 17th, 2020 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
This belongs to my uncle and he is willing to sell it to me but neither have an idea as to what a good price would be. I will take a simple picture of gun and if you need more please let me know.  Thanks for any help.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Trying to find out what I should pay 30-40 Krag
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 12:32am
Print Post  
A Krag receiver is going for around a hundred or so...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Welcome to the Krag Collector's Association. We can give you all kinds of info about this Krag but we really need more info and lots of pictures. Krags are very unusual and have lots of little quirks with numerous changes throughout its short lifetime.

Your Krag started life in October 1898 as a Model 1898 Krag rifle. It may have seen active battle use but it is not listed in the Springfield Research Service manuals as a documented serial numbered Krag.

If you can post pictures of the entire rifle and close ups of every part, we can help. What is the history, as you best know it, of this Krag? Many Krags that have had an adjustable sight added to the receiver has usually had alterations including a cut down barrel. Any alterations to the Krag that are irreversible have made your uncle's Krag a "sporterized" rifle that has no collector's value but has value as a hunting rifle or shooter. It also has value to you that it belongs to your uncle.

Sporterized Krags may be worth in the $300-400 range depending on certain factors. That's what we need to determine in your case. Sometime the parts are worth more than the rifle.

Thanks and welcome again! We'll look forward to hearing more about your Krag.

IP Logged

gostrider
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 3:51am
Print Post  
Thank you for the info. I will get more pictures soon.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 4:36am
Print Post  
'gostrider' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. I look forward to seeing more pictures of your Uncle's Krag.

I took the liberty of editing your current picture so it is easier to view.

As pointed out by 'Whig', this Krag was most likely started its 'life' as an infantry rifle. The U.S. Krag rifle was built with a 30 inch long barrel.

The Cavalry carbines were built with a 22 inch long barrel.

In the 1920's, when the U.S. Krags were sold to commercial bidders and NRA members, many were 'cut-down' and altered to make them more useful for Hunting.

Altered Krags are often mistaken or passed off as "carbines".

Correct, as issued Krags, command more money than civilian modified guns.

We will be glad to guide you through this evaluation process. Clear pictures of the front-sight, muzzle 'crown', rear-sight, and stock forearm-tip are most useful.

BTW - The 'peep-sight' on this Krag is a commercial Redfield - Number 102K. This is called a 'no drill' sight because it used existing holes on the Krag Receiver and did not require new holes and tapping.

This aftermarket sight often sells for about $100.

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2020 at 4:50pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint