Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 What direction to take this project? 1898 project (Read 4014 times)
CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

What direction to take this project? 1898 project
Jan 19th, 2020 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Hey all -

I've a 1898 full length rifle that was given to me nearly a decade ago that is all original, and didn't want to mess with.  But I love the cartridge, the action, and the accuracy.

I set out searching for a base for a deer / elk carbine project and found a 100k serial 1898 that has had, lets say, a rough life.  Missing the handguard, replacement butt plate, cut down and refinished stock, broken rear sight ladder, missing front site post, missing side cover screw, and - surprisingly - metal in the white.

My end goal here is a carbine length with no tap scope mount (either side or rear sight replacement).

Opinions are welcome, but at the risk of ruining a piece of history by modifying, I wanted thoughts on if I've truly ruined anything by cutting this rifle down.  At bare minimum the finish/patina has been permanently ruined, the stock is beyond saving, and it needs a handful of metal bits.  All of that, to me, adds up to a rifle that needs a new life.

I believe my first plan of attack is to check out the bore/barrel condition.  Next would be the essential metal bits (it needs a cover plate screw, front sight blade that I'll make for testing, and a rear sling swivel/barrel band solution).  Test firing for accuracy at that point, cutting the barrel down next.  Adding the scope mount next, and then, if after all that I still have a shooter, I'm considering trying my hand at rust blue on the modified rifle.  Finally, refinishing the stock with simple tung or BLO.

Feel free to poke holes, offer insight or direction from experience.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: What direction to take this project? 1898 project
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
I'm going out right now but before cutting anything down, I have a couple of sporterized, cut down Krag rifle barrels and attached receivers with an added front sight that I'd be willing to trade you for your barreled receiver. That way we would avoid cutting down a good rifle barrel and you could ave your base carbine length receiver and barrel to build up a good shooter/hunting carbine.

If interested, when I get back, I can post some pictures of what I have that I don't need anymore. The only cost for each of us would be shipping charge. I wouldn't charge you anything if you would want to do the same.

Let me know. Might save you some trouble and help me find a good home for a cut down Krag that I don't need. We don't like to see good Krag rifles cut down any more than they need to be. Yours can still be made into a nice rifle in the right stock. Metal wear "in the white" is not too bad if the barrel has not been cut or the receiver has not been drilled for a scope mount.

What is the serial number of this receiver?

Welcome, also, to KCA!

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks Whig, I'll have to roll that around.  The serial is 105510.  One of the attractive features, for me, because it's an antique and I won't pay a transfer.  I plan on getting my c&r this year, but haven't yet.

And thanks for the welcome!!

Whig wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 4:11pm:
I'm going out right now but before cutting anything down, I have a couple of sporterized, cut down Krag rifle barrels and attached receivers with an added front sight that I'd be willing to trade you for your barreled receiver. That way we would avoid cutting down a good rifle barrel and you could ave your base carbine length receiver and barrel to build up a good shooter/hunting carbine.

If interested, when I get back, I can post some pictures of what I have that I don't need anymore. The only cost for each of us would be shipping charge. I wouldn't charge you anything if you would want to do the same.

Let me know. Might save you some trouble and help me find a good home for a cut down Krag that I don't need. We don't like to see good Krag rifles cut down any more than they need to be. Yours can still be made into a nice rifle in the right stock. Metal wear "in the white" is not too bad if the barrel has not been cut or the receiver has not been drilled for a scope mount.

What is the serial number of this receiver?

Welcome, also, to KCA!

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
That appears to actually be a model 1896. The serial number is near the end of model 1896 production. Might be best to keep it full length and restore it or swap it and let someone else do it. Just a thought.

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Here's a closeup of the receiver...

Ned Butts wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 6:58pm:
That appears to actually be a model 1896. The serial number is near the end of model 1896 production. Might be best to keep it full length and restore it or swap it and let someone else do it. Just a thought.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the SN. I wanted to check for you to see if it was listed in the Springfield Research Service manuals as a documented rifle that might have some important history behind it. It is not listed. Only about 5% of all Krags are listed in these manuals which sometimes adds value. Your Krag rifle receiver was made in May 1898 and is the Model 1896 still, as Ned mentioned above.

if you want to consider a swap, let me know and I'll get pictures posted. The two or three I have I believe are later serial numbers after Jan. 1, 1899 so they would need to be sent through a C&R or FFL. I got my FFL years ago for mostly my own collecting purpose.

I do not plan on getting rid of these anytime soon, so, take your time.

But, as you are seeing, the consensus is to NOT cut down a good barrel. There are enough sporterized cut downs out there to get what you need. We like to see Krags restored to more original condition if possible.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
That appears to be a "hard struck" six, not uncommon. Krag stampings can be deceiveing . An examination of the other side of the receiver and the bolt handle "support" will tell us that it is a model 1896

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
'CoRifleman' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

It would be a pity to shorten a full length Krag barrel, especially, when it is attached to a model 1896 receiver.

It is a 'crime' to put new holes in the receiver of a Krag worthy of restoration.

A lot of model 1896 receivers are deeply stamped and "1896" is easily misread as "1898". There are a lot of part differences between the two models, which tips off more experienced eyes.

IMHO - "Whig's" proposed trade makes a lot of sense and would be a mutually beneficial - "Win Win".

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Here's the shots I have of the bolt side.

This has given me great pause on the direction of this project.

Ned Butts wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:01pm:
That appears to be a "hard struck" six, not uncommon. Krag stampings can be deceiveing . An examination of the other side of the receiver and the bolt handle "support" will tell us that it is a model 1896

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
The bolt handle ramp on the receiver and flared stock cut for the bolt handle do confirm you have a M1896 Krag rifle receiver and stock. The M1901 rear sight was a later change which is perfectly fine for this rifle. I prefer the M1901 sight for shooting accuracy. Some prefer the M1902 sight with the little Sergeant Peep sighting hole.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
I’ve cut bbls that have already been cut but I would have to say that if you want a Krag sporter do some horse trading instead of hack sawing. With a Kraghaus scout scope mount and a IER scope you can build a nice slick deer hunting carbine. I built this Krag from my first Krag that was supposed to be a nra sporter but wasn’t. I like the way it came out. Here’s it is for some inspiration. Good luck.

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
All - I haven't quite nailed it down, but I'll either sell or swap this for a carbine starter, or rebuild it as the rifle it was.  The barrel won't be cut.  Replacing the fore-end, adding a hand gaurd, and then extending the butt stock (toughest task) to original length will go a long way.

I've yet to see the bore.  That will most likely be the deciding factor if I restore it or pass it along.

Whig, I'll PM you shortly.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Sounds good. Glad to not have another Krag barrel chopped!

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 5:30am
Print Post  
An update before I get back into this again thanks to Whig, who traded the pretty worn rifle barrel/receiver for an already sportered barrel/receiver.  None of this happens without his help, honestly.

I ordered a side plate, rear barrel band, loading door, butt plate, rear sling swivel, S&K no drill rear mount, low safety, a Weaver K4-60B and a Weaver K4-2.5x MicroTrak, Lee reloading dies, and a box of Sierra bullets.

Ideally the barreled receiver will make it here by the weekend, but either way, we're moving forward.

I removed the lacquered finish, and have applied many coats of tung oil to the stock. It's beautiful.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
That stock does look great after your Tung oil treatment.

The Krag should look really nice after it is all re-assembled. The bore in the barrel headed your way is almost unused in appearance and should make a good shooting Krag. Hopefully your experience with it will pan out.

Good luck and thanks for the updated pictures.

It's always nice to see a good restoration job after seeing all of the torn down Krags being sold on ebay and Gun Broker.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint