Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 What direction to take this project? 1898 project (Read 3967 times)
CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: What direction to take this project? 1898 project
Reply #15 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Still working on this, but wanted to share.  I know it's simple, but really enjoyed putting it together.  Need to sort a loading/feeding and the butt plate issue, but otherwise looking good.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Nice job.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Looks nice so far. The offset of the S&K mount takes a bit of getting used to but the system works well and you should still be able to use the original irons as a back up. One tip when scoping a Krag that ejects straight up. rotate the scope to the left to take the adjustment turret out of the way of the empty brass. This also takes a little getting used to and requires you to stop and think when you adjust (right is up and left is down, down is right and up is left  Huh) Also doesn't work with some scopes with fancy cross hairs. Good looking project and thank you for sparing a military barreled action!!!!!

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: What direction to take this project? 1898 projec
Reply #18 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
I got into a very intense conversation with the gentlemen at the Scout Rifle forum over my Krag/scout build’s scope location. I mounted mine as far forward as possible but it overhangs the action enough that a load would not eject however mty cases ejected fine. My statement to them was that the Krag was designed as a single shot rifle with a magazine. As it has a side gate to load or unload it the only thing ever ejected will be mty brass. The only way to get the scope clear of the action would have been to use higher rings or cut on the Kraghaus mount. Didn’t want to do either.  Big part of a scout rifle design is the low powered and low mounted scope so when the rifle is shouldered your eye naturally aligns with the scope. However a side mount is a good compromise if the holes are already there. Your stock turned out sharp.

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Thanks guys - the 4x scope is a post style reticle, so no turning that one.  The 2.5, however, is a duplex, so I can turn that one.

The offset will take some getting used to, bit I liked the idea of no modification to the gun to use it.  I'm excited to get this one to the range.  I probably will try and find a cheek rest solution, since the scope ends up pretty high because of these rings.  They have standard rings, but I think it would only get me 1/4" drop - which isn't that much. 

Yes, the irons, in the flat position, still work, which is a GREAT side benefit of this mount style.

I got the barrel band screw (originally it had a stacking swivel screw in the barrel band) today, but I'm waiting a couple days for the 1898 follower to see if I can address a feed issue.

With all the covid fears now, it looks like I might have a LOT of time to test her in the upcoming weeks.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 4:04am
Print Post  
Since your scope is off-set about an inch or two inches to the left, it is useful to adjust the scope so your shots center that distance to the right of point of aim.
This will keep the 'line of sight' parallel to the 'path of the bullet' (in terms of windage) at all distances.

If you adjust the cross-hairs so point of aim intersects with the bullet grouping, at 50 nor 100 yards, beyond that distance, projectiles will continue angling to the left.

The groups distance from point of aim will increase as range increases.

If the 'line of the bore' and 'sight line' are parallel and bullets group 2 inches to the right at 100 yards, the group will be centered approximately 2 inches to the right at 600 yards.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: What direction to take this project? 1898 proje
Reply #21 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Look at the Triad buttpack to go on your buttstock. Well made. It uses velcro to attach it on the stock and has extra velcro strips and can be adjusted for height and width. I bought 2 and put the plain one on the Krag and the one with the outside pocket on my mini30/m1a build. Holds a spare 20 rd mini30 mag. Might make it easier to see through your scope. I would think about lower rings, 1/4 is more than you think right next to your eye. And they have a choice of colors. I like mine.

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Hey all, I think it's finally good from a function standpoint.

Replacing my clearly 1896 follower and carrier with an 1898 model fixed the majority of the feed problems.  I still sometimes would have the last round hanging up just below where the bolt could grab it.  Looking more closely at where the anchor for the s&k sticks in the cutoff opening (I had filled the gap where there was no longer a cutoff blank when the cutoff was in the "off" position), the front of the anchor, although slightly rounded, sticks into the path of the cartridge rim slightly.  Just a little work with a small file to create more of an feathered angle on the profiting part of that rod/pin allowed the rim to easily slide all up to the top and be picked up by the bolt.

Once this snow melts away it'll be off to the range.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint