Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 I told myself not to get into the carbine weeds... (Read 2868 times)
Lead Snowstorm
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

I told myself not to get into the carbine weeds...
Jan 22nd, 2020 at 12:27am
Print Post  
...I told myself, self, you got no business buying a Krag carbine, you don't know enough.

But then myself didn't listen.  What have I done, KCA?  Shocked

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: I told myself not to get into the carbine weeds...
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Well, I don't know what you paid. And I'm no full fledged expert. But I think you did pretty durn good. The finish may not be original, but it appears you have all the right markings. I'd be happy to own it.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Congrats. Looks like you made a nice purchase if the price was not unreasonable. Your M1899 was made Sept 1899 with the stock cartouche matching. This is an early M1899 in the first grouping of M1899 carbines. The stock having some wear and refinish is not significant for everything else being good. The M1901c rear sight had a higher front sight blade than earlier carbines. Usually the front sight blade has the "c" stamped high enough so you can see it. I can't tell on yours because of scratches. Might be there.

The bolt is the correct bolt for this carbine also. Some of the carbines and rifles in this age range had the headless cocking piece. But it's sort of hit or miss on these.

I see a repair in the front of the hand guard. Be careful removing that. Looks unstable and might need cleaned up and re-glued at some point.

Is there an oiler and cleaning rods in the butt stock?

How's the bore? If you have a good bore, that's really a keeper!

But looks great! Welcome to the Krag carbine owner's club!

IP Logged

Lead Snowstorm
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Knute1 wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 1:05am:
Well, I don't know what you paid. And I'm no full fledged expert. But I think you did pretty durn good. The finish may not be original, but it appears you have all the right markings. I'd be happy to own it.

Snap, I forgot the rest of the details!  Another Gunbroker find, $850 + shipping/fees.  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

I could see a hairline crack in the handguard just ahead of the receiver, but the photos nicely disguised the bigger crack ahead of the sights... Roll Eyes  Like my other Krags, the rifling is pretty worn.

I did wonder about the stock finish, but not too hard given that the cartouches were still visible and...darn if it wasn't pretty good looking.

IP Logged

Lead Snowstorm
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 2:55am
Print Post  
Whig wrote on Jan 22nd, 2020 at 2:43am:
Congrats. Looks like you made a nice purchase if the price was not unreasonable. Your M1899 was made Sept 1899 with the stock cartouche matching. This is an early M1899 in the first grouping of M1899 carbines. The stock having some wear and refinish is not significant for everything else being good. The M1901c rear sight had a higher front sight blade than earlier carbines. Usually the front sight blade has the "c" stamped high enough so you can see it. I can't tell on yours because of scratches. Might be there.

The bolt is the correct bolt for this carbine also. Some of the carbines and rifles in this age range had the headless cocking piece. But it's sort of hit or miss on these.

I see a repair in the front of the hand guard. Be careful removing that. Looks unstable and might need cleaned up and re-glued at some point.

Is there an oiler and cleaning rods in the butt stock?

How's the bore? If you have a good bore, that's really a keeper!

But looks great! Welcome to the Krag carbine owner's club!

Yep, I'm not sure if there's a C on the front sight blade or not, and that's after looking pretty closely...for awhile...with a strong light, lol.

The handguard crack *is* very unstable.  I'm going to need a tutorial on getting the rear sight off, so's I can get the handguard off eventually.

Buttstock totally empty, alas.  Bore is a bit worn, 3+ on my gauge.  Doesn't look terribly pitted at first glance, but veeeery dusty.  Haven't had a chance to scrub it out yet.

ETA I did run a couple of patches.  Looks promising, but the proof will be in the pudding...

Before:

After:

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 3:41am
Print Post  
I believe this carbine is in good hands.  Good on ya.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 3:52am
Print Post  
Model 1899 marked Krags were built as carbines, so you know you have a legitimate carbine.

Some of your metal parts appear to have a copper cast to them. This is likely from 'Plumb Brown' and 'Cold Blue' metal touch up. (I thought your front-sight blade was brass at first).

Your wood appears to be Italian walnut that has been stained and refinished. A lot of these stocks were used in 1899, 1900, and 1901.

This is a good Krag to use without guilt about using it.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 6:39am
Print Post  
I don't know...  Looks like an uber dangerous carbine.  Maybe you should send it to me so I can enjoy, er, ah, hrrmptf, evaluate it and ensure it is safe for you to shoot.

I agree with the rest of the guys.  Ya did real good now git us a range report.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 7:42am
Print Post  
'Lead Snowstorm' - The rear-sight comes off by removing the two mounting screws. (Model 1901 rifle sight shown in photo).

Then remove the barrel-band by sliding it forward, while compressing the band-spring. (Remember the "U" on the band goes on the right-hand side of the Krag).

Remove the stock by removing the two trigger-guard screws.

Now, the hand-guard can be slid down the barrel toward the muzzle. As it moves down the barrel taper, the pressure is relieved on the hand-guard's spring-clips.

Coins (a Quarter and a Nickel or Penny) can be twisted into the loose hand-guard's 'spring clips' to counteract the spring pressure. This will help hold the cracked wood in position for gluing.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2020 at 3:21pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
...I told myself, self, you got no business buying a Krag carbine, you don't know enough.
But then myself didn't listen.  What have I done, KCA?

If you are an alcoholic and fall off the wagon, get involved in an accident and end up in jail, that is one thing.

Looks like this falling off the wagon was akin to landing 2 foot deep rose petals, did not get hurt, and now you smell like a rose. Smiley

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
BTW - The Krag model 1899 carbine front-sight blade, (when removed from its base), is .355 inches tall.

The rifle blade for the 1901 rear-sight is .413 inches tall.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Curious though while we’re talking carbines, why does my 1899 school rifle have a carbine stamped rear sight on it? Also has the humped handguard. And of course the milled bbl for the bayonet. Was it originally a carbine that was restocked into a school rifle as opposed to a cut down rifle? Do I have a carbine in sheep’s clothing?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
School rifles were usually (not always) M1899 carbines that had a rifle stock cut down slightly to be able to have a front barrel band used that had a bayonet lug and the end of the 22 inch carbine barrel, which was thicker than the muzzle end of a Krag rifle, turned down to hold a bayonet ring.

So, the "school rifle" would often, correctly, have one of many carbine rear sights.

But, many bubba-ed carbines were made to be like school rifles which could have been a rifle cut down which would not necessarily be wearing a carbine rear sight.

What is the serial number of your carbine? Is it a Model 1899? All Model 1899 Krags started life as a carbine.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2020 at 12:56am by Whig »  

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 12:03am
Print Post  
My school rifle is an 1899, sn 280506.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 12:54am
Print Post  
I have a school rifle made from a M1896 carbine, SN: 68128 with a M1896c rear sight.

My Philippine Constabulary rifle is made from a M1899 carbine, SN:225798 with the unusual M1902c rear sight.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint