Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Colt's New Python 2020 (Read 2288 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Colt's New Python 2020
Jan 25th, 2020 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
So, as a long time Colt lover and Python owner since I was a teenager, I was watching the new release of Colt's Python 2020. My good shooting buddy Ken Hackathorn was the first official expert to review the Python and he gave it thumbs up and high recommendations. I wasn't real appreciative of his review for a number of reasons. He examined and shot some of my Pythons before and always told me he was more of a S&W guy and didn't fancy Colts much. He focused on the new Python trigger and how wonderful it was not to have the two stage stacking anymore. I actually like the stacking because I can get that double action hammer to pause right before it drops and I get my sights perfectly aligned. But, I'm used to having shot that trigger thousands of times.

There has also been lots of talk about how Colt decreased the number of internal parts by 14 and has maintained the V-spring for the trigger and hammer action. I have taken Pythons a part many times and there aren't many more than 14 parts total to begin with! What, do they have everything working with 2-3 parts total, are they mis-counting for advertisement purposes or is it now solid state digital? I have yet to see the internals of the new Python.

And, now that it has been out a few weeks, there are lots of other people reviewing the new 2020 Python including our fav Hickok45! In his, and others' reviews, the Python is shown to be malfunctioning with light primer strikes and failure to turn the cylinder even with single action. Hickok45 talks honestly about this and you can clearly see how it malfunctions. He did not short stroke anything as some have suggested. I saw around 4 video reviews where people have had problems and read more.

There is a Colt VP who was interviewed at the Shot Show about the new Python. He said that there have been 5 returned to Colt for problems and two were cosmetic. Yea. He also said, after all of the previous advertisements from Colt, that there are "12" fewer internal parts! cont

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Colt's New Python 2020
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
So, are there 12 or 14 fewer parts? Maybe someone at Colt should learn to count and stick with one number.

So, Colt has a big problem. To bring back a classic like the Python is very risky to begin with. They have maintained the great lines, vented rib, under barrel lug, general classic look. The grips are thinner which helps if you are using speed loaders, there is an easier change front sight, the muzzle is recessed, there is a thicker back strap, a different rear sight design with windage adjustment and a slightly different hammer and trigger. Plus, the internals are supposed to be quite different. There is a stupid bar code stamped into the frame on the right side. Retail is $1499. They have made a 6" and 4 1/4 ", which is 1/4 longer to accommodate some stupid Canadian law about 4 inch revolvers. They have not made it in the Royal Colt Blue finish yet.

I fear that Colt, for price considerations, has gone to some MIM or CNC parts for this snake. There may even be some plastic internal parts. It looks fine and shoots fine, supposedly, when it doesn't malfunction.

I never bought my Pythons for investment. I just like them and they shoot great! There may be a price drop on the older Pythons which have skyrocketed in price over the last 10 years or so. But, if there really are pervasive problems with the new Python, I doubt the old ones will stay down in value for long.

Time will tell. I'm not interested in buying a new one, though.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
I'll just stick with my M1917 S&W.  I can shoot two different rounds in the same cylinder with it.  And have never had a malfunction in it.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Yeah, I also saw the Gun Stock Reviews video with Yamil Sued and Hackathorn.  Interesting.  Obviously, Ken carries a lot of creditability as an expert in our arena.   

You are most correct in that should have a consistent story. 

Can you comment on the "plastic parts" any further?
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
No knowledge yet about internals. I'm just supposing they would put plastic somewhere like so many contemporary firearms. Not a fan. I like the old steel!

The old Pythons I have have had internal parts hand polished to the point that they feel smooth and soft. Amazing what they accomplished with hand work years ago. Now everything is machined to save money. Labor is too expensive.

I'm waiting for someone to do a video of what the internals look like int he new Python. If you find anything, let me know.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
There are certainly Colt lovers out there and Colt haters. I live in southeastern, Ohio which is mainly Smith country. Not many Colt lovers around. But, they all love to shoot my Colt Python when offered to them!

There were four things that made the Python what it was:

1. The fit. The parts, especially the lock work parts, were hand-fit and hand polished.

2. The finish. The finish was achieved by polishing the gun on leather-bound wheels to a very high level of finish before blueing, creating the legendary Colt Royal blueing job on the Python.

3. The lockup. If you test a Ruger or S&W revolver in full lockup, you’ll feel very slight wiggle room. If you test a Colt, especially an original Python, in full lockup, you feel nothing, absolutely nothing. Nothing moves, wiggles, shakes, etc. There is no “slop” at all. This is the Colt “bank vault lockup.” This was a result, in part, of the hand-fit parts.

4. The Colt barrel on the Pythons were tighter than the S&Ws and Rugers. Colt Pythons had groove diameters as small as .354 and .355 instead of .357 and .358. They had a faster twist of 1 in 14 compared to Smith's 1 in 18.5 rifling twist. Also, they had very slightly tapered barrels towards the muzzle to increase accuracy and they burnished the Python barrels with something like a tungsten ball (process called "ballizing" I believe) that would harden and polish the barrel internally.

I don't think Colt could afford to do all of the above on the new Pythons today for $1500.

But, we'll see where things end up. I'm just nostalgic for old time hand polishing work.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
My neighbor bought his python in 1970 when he joined the police force. He paid $180.00 for it. That is about $1750.00 in today's money.  Outside of holster wear it is as tight and accurate as the day he bought it. He saved up extra money to get the best. Colt is calling this new revolver "python" even though it is not the same as the original. Maybe they should name it after another variety of snake like the "garter snake".

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
How about the Plumbing Snake?

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Lol Whig!

How about using Snake Oil to keep that New Python well lubricated!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Hackathorn gave me a big green container of old army surplus oil/grease years ago. He said they used to call it elephant cum.

That sure dredges up some nasty images! And to think- it's good for the guns!!

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 10:06am
Print Post  
I used to shoot some IPSC with Ken at Ft Harmar back in the 80s.  He was always a big proponent of gun grease vs gun oil.

Note the Colt Forum thread RE: new Python internals

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reference, Kerz. That's the first I've seen of the internals of the new Python.

I still can't figure out where they are claiming "12" or "14" fewer parts. It looks like a jumble of parts in there still. I'd like to see a listing or side-by-side comparison. I've taken a part mine many times and I don't see many fewer parts. There are certainly different ones. They've stuck with the V-spring which some people still don't like.

I am discouraged by the bad machining left on many of these parts and there are some MIM'd ones with cast marks left on them. What's with all of the weird colors to these different parts? They have evidently smoothed the bearing surfaces enough to make a slick action.

Still waiting on the verdict of the failure to rotate the cylinder issue and weak primer strikes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint