Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
I am possibly getting this next week (Read 763 times)
Infantrytrey
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

I am possibly getting this next week
Jan 31st, 2020 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I am currently the high bidder on this rifle, I am definitely a newbie with these rifles and was wondering of anyone can give me input on when I should bail on bidding. Also info or possibly when manufactured as well thanks. S/N 257065.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: I am possibly getting this next week
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2020 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Trey-welcome to KCA. We love Krags and love sharing our experiences with our Krags with others.

You are embarking on this Krag venture backwards! You should have asked us before putting a bid on the rifle. Hopefully, you're not too high right now. Too many Krag newbies do it your way and buy something and then come here and say "How'd I do?" Sometimes, we'll say "You did well" or "You got real lucky!" Many times we just say "Wished you'd asked first!"

But, having said that, Krags are difficult animals to get to know. Many details to their histories and intricacies to their parts. This adds levels of confusion to the uninformed to make mistakes.

It also depends on what you want. If you want a collectible, historic piece for your military collection, the Krag you would be looking for is completely different than if you want something to shoot at paper targets or hunt with.

Your Model 1898 Krag rifle, from the few pictures you posted, is SN: 257065 which was made in February 1900. It has the full length barrel, correct Springfield Armory front sight and a Model 1901 rear sight. Probably the rifle rear sight. Carbine rear sights are stamped with a "c" in 3 places on the M1901 version. Can't see that in your pictures.

The sling looks old and valuable, the metal is rough and has slight rust in many areas and the stock is rough and shows lots of use. There is a nice cartouche still legible. The initials are JSA for J Sumner Adams, the assistant foreman of Springfield Armory when this was put into service.

Your Krag looks like it could use some TLC, wiping it down with oil and cleaning the stock with some boiled linseed oil.

(Continued)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2020 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
The condition of the bore is important when considering the value and shoot-ability of the Krag. If there is an oiler and cleaning rods in the butt compartment, that adds a little to the value of this Krag.

I checked the recorded records for this serial number. It is not listed with any known provenance that might increase its value.

Again, there is not quite enough info about and not enough pictures of this Krag to give a complete valuation and inspection but I wouldn't spend more than $600-700 for it. The sling adds $60 or slightly more. If there is anything in the butt, that could add $40-50 more value. The condition of the bore can drop this valuation or add to it slightly.

This Krag shows honest wear. Who knows how it was used in its history. It was made a little late to have been used in some of the important battles Krags were used in but it could have seen some action or use later.

This Krag could be a great shooter. It appears to be all there, not cut down or damaged much so it is collectible as a military rifle but just not in great condition. Many collectors want that great condition Krag for their collection.

Good luck and I hope this helps. Others may chime in and add info. There is frequently discussion or debate about some of these descriptive points.

Welcome again!

IP Logged

Infantrytrey
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2020 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input, I am mainly going to keep it as a show piece and possibly occasional shooter if possible. How do you go about look down barrel on these rifles? I tried but I'm not a big fan of looking down a barrel as well. I will attempt to get more photos of the questions as well. Thanks again

IP Logged

cquickel
KCA Forum Member

Krag Lover

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
You mind if I add your rifle to the KCA serial number database?

Curt Quickel

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint