Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Krag range day (Read 5330 times)
Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag range day
Feb 1st, 2020 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
I picked up a Yankee Artifacts Krag a couple months ago I finally had time to load some ammo and get to the range. Overall Iam happy with the rifle and it probably shoots as good as can be expected.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag range day
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Nice groups ... were they shot at 100 yards?

Did all projectiles feed well through your magazine?

(Bullet diameter is .308", not 3.08, unless you have an Artillery Krag).  Shocked

I'm glad you are enjoying your rifle.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Griff
Nice groups!  One of my 1898s prefers 160 gr bullets rather than the 180/220
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 11:31am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Feb 2nd, 2020 at 3:29am:
Nice groups ... were they shot at 100 yards?

Did all projectiles feed well through your magazine?

(Bullet diameter is .308", not 3.08, unless you have an Artillery Krag).  Shocked

I'm glad you are enjoying your rifle.

5 rd groups @100yds off a rest. 3.08” is the C.O.A.L the bullets were all .308 dia. For the most part everything feed well it seemed if there was an issue it was with the first round out of the mag after that they feed fine

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Excellent work. The Krag shoots wonderfully!

I have been able to achieve close to or right at 1 MOA with my M1898 Krag rifle made in 1903 at 100 yards.

I have been working down at 200 and 300 yards though. I can get around 1 1/2 MOA at 200 and 300 yards now. I'm still trying to tweak my loads for longer distances. I've found the M1901 rear sight to be easiest for me to use with my Krag. I tried the M1902 with a larger peep hole in the Sgt Peep sight but just couldn't get the best sight picture compared to the raised ladder peeps on the M1901 rear sight. Make sure your front sight blade is nice and sharp and squared off. A blurry front sight blade doesn't help.

Keep up the good work!

IP Logged

Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Whig wrote on Feb 2nd, 2020 at 1:56pm:
Excellent work. The Krag shoots wonderfully!

I have been able to achieve close to or right at 1 MOA with my M1898 Krag rifle made in 1903 at 100 yards.

I have been working down at 200 and 300 yards though. I can get around 1 1/2 MOA at 200 and 300 yards now. I'm still trying to tweak my loads for longer distances. I've found the M1901 rear sight to be easiest for me to use with my Krag. I tried the M1902 with a larger peep hole in the Sgt Peep sight but just couldn't get the best sight picture compared to the raised ladder peeps on the M1901 rear sight. Make sure your front sight blade is nice and sharp and squared off. A blurry front sight blade doesn't help.

Keep up the good work!

After I settle on a load at 100yds Iam going to go out to 200yds-were our local “100yr old rifle” are shot. Hopefully the 100yd results will transfer out to 200.

I opted for the 1902 sight on advice from this forum and CMP Forum members for the windage adjustment. I made a complete new “peep” sight with a larger hole but I get a blurry ghost image with it so I’ve been using the regular rear leaf. Iam wondering if the 1901 sight might have been a better option. 

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Nice Shooting and thanks for the additional details!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
You should go back out to the 100 yard range and use the same loads and try out the M1901 sight, if you have one. I found a big difference, for me, and am sticking with it.

This is definitely an individual experience. Many find the M1902 better!

I was out shooting my Krag with a friend over New Years. He was shooting a Model 700 Remington in .308 with a nice scope on it. I was shooting my M1898 Krag made in 1903 with mint rifling and the M1901 rear sight with hand loads. After zeroing at 100 yards and shooting at 200 yards some, he started setting his scope for the 400 yard target which, at a friend's range, has a big metal plate with a 6 inch white round plate in the middle that swings back when hit.

My windage was set good and I started shooting just by holding over the center white plate. You could easily see misses. It took me three shots to hit the middle plate and I hit it three times in a row before he got his scope set on that same plate. He couldn't believe that with open sights and a 117 year old rifle I could outshoot him!

That's why I love Krags!

IP Logged

Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Whig wrote on Feb 2nd, 2020 at 3:03pm:
You should go back out to the 100 yard range and use the same loads and try out the M1901 sight, if you have one. I found a big difference, for me, and am sticking with it.

This is definitely an individual experience. Many find the M1902 better!

I was out shooting my Krag with a friend over New Years. He was shooting a Model 700 Remington in .308 with a nice scope on it. I was shooting my M1898 Krag made in 1903 with mint rifling and the M1901 rear sight with hand loads. After zeroing at 100 yards and shooting at 200 yards some, he started setting his scope for the 400 yard target which, at a friend's range, has a big metal plate with a 6 inch white round plate in the middle that swings back when hit.

My windage was set good and I started shooting just by holding over the center white plate. You could easily see misses. It took me three shots to hit the middle plate and I hit it three times in a row before he got his scope set on that same plate. He couldn't believe that with open sights and a 117 year old rifle I could outshoot him!

That's why I love Krags!

New to Krags...my understanding was the rear handgaurd is different between a 1901 and 1902 sight?

Before I bought the rifle I was leaning towards a 1901 sight but I kinda got talked into a 02 sight

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
You are correct that the hand guards are different for these two sights. But, for shooting purposes, you can just remove the hand guard and mount the M1901 rear sight and go to the range. The barrel should not get so hot that you'll burn yourself without the hand guard. You can always look for the appropriate hand guard in the future if you want to keep the M1901 sight. It's all up to you!

The photo from the KCA home page below shows the different hand guards for the different rear sights.

Just a thought. You can certainly keep what you have and learn how to use it well like many others have done.

Good luck!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Do the logical thing and buy another Krag with a model 1901 sight, like the rest of us do!

Krags are more contagious than the "Coronavirus".

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I caught Kragovirus from the president of my cas club, I made the mistake of shooting his correct carbine, and bought 2 [my fake carbine and a Constabulary/school rifle] and then he and I infected another member of the club who bought a carbine and rifle. And then I got reinfected again last year and bought my 1896 rifle. As far as I know there’s no known cure.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2020 at 8:14pm by Baltimoreed »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
I'll say, with an illness like Kragovirus, who needs to be healthy??

(Just kidding, God!)

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
WOW!! 17, you are a very sick man. I like your Constabulary rifles and the brown carbine third from the left. Beautiful collection.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Oldest ones are on the right. Third from the left is M1899 carbine which is parkerized and looks rather nice. Has a M1901 carbine rear sight and short nosed 32 inch stock.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint