Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag carbine sights (Read 638 times)
Battis32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag carbine sights
Feb 11th, 2020 at 5:30am
Print Post  
I had posted about an 1896 Krag carbine that I was looking at.  I went back today and checked it out - it looks really good.  I'll pick it up in the near future.
This is the carbine with the base for the Lyman #34 sight, without the sight.  Are there any other sights that might be compatible with the mount that is there now, or even compatible with the alterations done to the side plate and stock, and the drilled holes?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag carbine sights
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 6:33am
Print Post  
'Battis32' - I believe the Lyman #33 and #34 sights use the same base. The #33 has a 'lock screw' to hold windage adjustments. The #34 has a 'micrometer' windage adjustment. These sights show up from time to time on eBay.
I am not aware of another sight that can use that base.

It is possible to just take the Lyman base off and substitute a Redfield 102K, Redfield 70K , Pacific K-1 or K-2 "No-Drill" receiver sight.
These discontinued sights show up on eBay quite often for around $100. They use existing holes and would maybe help hide some of the present blemishes on your Krag.

If this Krag were mine, I would just put a Krag model 1896 rifle rear-sight on it. These show up often for $50 to $75.

I would remove the Lyman base and 'plug' the upper hole.

I would buy a model 1896 side-plate and replace the altered one. This would cover the lower Lyman hole.

I would put a wood patch where the stock wood was removed.

IMHO - The Lyman #33 & #34 sights were not that good. The elevation 'locking-lever' often seems to be broken or missing on this family of sights.

IP Logged

Battis32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info and suggestions.  I have another carbine that I did put a rifle rear sight on.  The side plates are available, which would be easier than finding a Lyman, or even Redfield, sight. I put a repro handguard on the other one, but matching the wood is tough.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
The 1896 side-plate is different (thinner front tongue) than the model 1898 side-plate.

Make sure you are buying the correct plate.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint