Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
San Juan hill hotchkiss (Read 1136 times)
King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

San Juan hill hotchkiss
Feb 11th, 2020 at 6:07am
Print Post  
Cool piece of history. Good home defence weapon.
       (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: San Juan hill hotchkiss
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
SSSHHH! Do not let Butlersrangers know about this. He will pawn all his Krags for to try and get this one. SHHH!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Krags?  What are Krags?  I sold those to buy my hotchkiss.

Ha!  Just kidding.  But I can dream.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Mr. Hotchkiss was quite the Arms designer.

The 37mm revolving cannon is impressive. There is also a video displaying a 1/2 scale replica that fires .50 caliber BMG cartridges loaded with Black Powder. (How Practical)!

I still relish the Hotchkiss 1.65 inch Mountain Gun. It's breech mechanism is just super cool!

A 1/3 scale Mountain Gun, firing .50 BMG loaded with Black Powder, would make a helluva "Hood Ornament"!

A fuzzed exploding projectile would make it just the ticket for Cow Birds.

You build one Fred and I'll come down to Texas and help you crew it (and stomp birds).

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I listened to part of the video. The old Hotchkiss is an antique not a destructive device. So no paperwork required. I am not sure you could finish building a new one before going to jail and not passing GO!
Working Gatling guns with a lot of polished brass hardware are worth $500,000.00 or more. No polished brass on the antique Hotchkiss, I did not look to see when the auction date ended. Just for grins it would be interesting to know what it sold for.
The thing the guy was calling a bolt did no locking, seems more a correct description would be a pusher/loader.

Yeah, quite the hood ornament. An acquaintance did a very nice restoration of a Sherman tank, it had rubber treads so it could be driven on the street. I asked Fred if people gave him respect when he drove it. He said yes, everyone pulled over and took pictures! One way to clear the road.  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

"A fuzzed exploding projectile would make it just the ticket for Cow Birds"      It would definitely thin the birds, it would also take out every tree hit. Was looking for just stunning the bird brains.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2020 at 2:14pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint