Norwegian Krag screws (Read 1567 times)
sixfive
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Norwegian Krag screws
Feb 26th, 2020 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Hello Krag-Jorgensen enthusiast,

Can anyone tell me what thread pattern was used on Norwegian Krag-Jorgensen rifle action screws?  Or what thread pattern type/system was used on Norwegian Krag-Jorgensen screws in general?  Thanks.

Regards,
sixfive

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Norwegian Krag screws
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
I have never seen one of these in person. Do you have any samples on hand (even worn or broken would be helpful)? If so I have measuring equipment that I can identify the thread form and identify other critical dimensions critical dimensions.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
sixfive,

I read on another forum the following, if it helps:

The krags were developed at a time where the metric (SI) was not yet used commonly (Still not Wink). The screws are in the BSW *(British Standard Whitworth)
Size on the receiver is a mix of nominal metric and inch measures.

and:

Looked at some action screws (Norwegian Krag) I have. They seem to be 1/4 X 20 tpi.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2020 at 6:55pm by Whig »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2020 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
If they are Whitworth the pitch diameter will be different than American unified threads, also the flank angle of the threads is 55 degrees instead of 60 degrees used in all American Unified and metric threads. Never tried one but I doubt they will even screw together, if they do they might work loose with use or some other bad thing might happen or not.

IP Logged

sixfive
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Hello,

Thanks for the information.  I had wondered about Whitworth threads as well.  I can't figure out how to post pictures at this point but, I can give some dimensions. 

I am no machinist at all but, I am in the process of making some stock inletting guide screws and a replacement extractor retaining screw for a 1912 and 1894. 

The outside diameter of the action screw threads is .240-.250".  The outside diameter of the extractor screw threads is .150".  At first I did not think a 1/4-20NC die would work for the action screws but after threading some 1/4" rod it appears it threads into the action OK.  Good enough for guide screws anyway.  As for the extractor retaining screw the closest die I found was M4-.75.  It is not a perfect fit but may serve the purpose.

I was just hoping someone might know offhand what the Norwegian Krag-Jorgensen used.  Thanks again for the information and any additional information is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
sixfive

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Good luck with your fabrication. Keep us informed in case anyone here wants to do the same thing.

IP Logged

sixfive
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Hello,

Well, I tried a 8-32 die for the extractor screw and that did not work at all.  It looks like for my purposes I will be sticking with a M4-.75 on the extractor screw, and 1/4-20 threads for the action screws.  Since I am just making inletting guide screws and a extractor screw I will not go to the trouble and expense of ordering Whitworth dies at this time.  I can't justify it for what I am doing.  However if I do ever get my hands on Whitworth dies to try, or get better information on the topic, I will be sure to post my findings.  Maybe some more digging in the Krag reference materials will yield some answers.  Thanks to all who helped out.

Regards,
sixfive

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
You might check at a knowledgeable bicycle shop for a replacement extractor screw.

There could be a relationship to old British Bicycle thread screws.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint