Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Help finding correct rear sight on 1898 Krag (Read 2035 times)
ArizonaTravis
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Help finding correct rear sight on 1898 Krag
Mar 2nd, 2020 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone,
I am attempting to restore my grandfathers old 1898 Krag. It is a sportified gun and has a solid single pillar front sight. It fires great and the bolt is still silky smooth. I took off the cheap scope that had been placed on this gun which it appears my grandfather drilled two holes into the gun to attach. This does not seem to effect its function. I have been attempting to locate a correct rear sight for this gun but have been having some problems. In googling, I have found most returns come back to a rectangular sight with an elevation slide that attaches with two screws, in front and back. However, I cant find where this would attach on my gun.

If anyone knows what sight, either original or a close to original as possible would fit this gun, I would be most grateful. I have attached a couple of photos hoping this will help.

Thanks

P.S. If I have posted this in the wrong area, I apologize and will move it if needed.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Help finding correct rear sight on 1898 Krag
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2020 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Travis,

A couple comments on your Krag. It's quite a treasure to have a functioning rifle that belonged to your grandfather. I have an old shotgun of my grandfather's that doesn't function but I love having it. Since I love Krags, I would cherish one belonging to my granddad!

Your Krag receiver has been drilled for a scope mount. I don't know which one would fit but that is why there is no rear sight.

The rear sight for the Krags all have the same screw holes. All Krag sights are inter-changeable but the hand guards, which yours also does not have, are different for different rear sights.

You might have a replacement barrel on your Krag. It also might have had the two rear sight holes filled in. I cannot tell from your picture.

The cut out on your barrel is a dove tail that has been made to slide in a rear sight that fits that specific dove tail. I had one of these on a Krag I got years ago.

So, you can use a scope or find a dove tailed rear sight that fits.

Others may chime in to add more info about the receiver mount for a scope or other details.

Hope this helps some.

Good luck and keep us informed!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2020 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
A couple notes here. I noticed the carbine stock. Does it have a carbine length barrel? Original sight is going to be expensive. More photos would help figure out if is should be restored as a deer getter or carbine.  A close up of the area of the sight dovetail may show plugged screw holes. A photo of the front of the stock will reveal the condition of the stock. If restored as a deer getter trading an original carbine stock for a rifle stock could get you some funds for a lot of do-dads for a deer rifle (dovetail sight or good scope).

IP Logged

ArizonaTravis
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2020 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the help so far. I have attached a few extra pictures to help.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2020 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Can you add an additional photo of the front right side of the stock? This is necessary to determine, as Fred pointed out, if it is a carbine stock. The remains of the sling ring does not guarantee it was originally a carbine stock, although a sling ring was used on some original carbine stocks.

IP Logged

ArizonaTravis
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2020 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Absolutely. Here are some photos. Thanks for all the help so far.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2020 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Well, that is (was) a nice carbine stock. Someone dug out a channel under the barrel band to put a sling ring through. Ughh!

There is a slotted screw put on the front of the stock to, apparently, stabilize a large crack. This should be removed, if possible. It can be filled and glued instead of using a screw.

The barrel band is backwards and should be removed and put on so the "U" is on the right side.

How is the bore of this sporterized Krag?

IP Logged

ArizonaTravis
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2020 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
The bore is actually pretty good. I don't know how much my grandfather used it when he was alive but I know he used it at his ranch for predators who might have threatened his cattle. A lot of critters probably met their end there.

My grandfather was a rancher who was brought up near the end of the depression so he would jerry-rig and fix anything himself instead of throwing anything away or buying anything new. I assume this is where the miscellaneous alters to the gun would have taken place. Also, I can't imagine the amount of banging around this would have had on the tractor and other equipment he brought this on and probably just tossed around. This is definitely a gun that has had better days but because of that, reminds me of him and is priceless.

My end goal was to keep the gun as close to how he left it as possible but just did not really like the old cheap scope that he had on it which was actually loose. I have actually purchased a really nice restored krag last year and that is the main one I shoot (when ammo is not super expensive) but it is nice to take this one out once in a while. It just has a more well used (in a good way) feel.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2020 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
If the scope mount is good and the rings are for a common size putting a good scope on it would be the fastest way of getting it back to a shooter. I saw no traces of filled screw holes for an original sight. If the dove tail is a common fit, any number of good sights may be available. Using an original SA sight would entail drilling and tapping new holes or finding the originals and removing the plugs.

Many here do not mind revealing the serial number, the number might be helpful in knowing whether this was an original 1898 carbine. There is a current list of 98 carbines being compiled on KCA. So far there are less than 20 of the 5000 or so originals known. I am not sure if the list includes heavily modified sporters or not.

If this was an original carbine it might be worth looking for a box of parts that were removed, many times the original parts are found in a corner or somewhere. Carbine rear sights are worth more than a pretty penny.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2020 at 12:02am
Print Post  
You're right that you've got a priceless family heirloom there. Just think of the stories that could be told of your grandfather carrying that Krag around with him on the farm and plugging away at unaware predators. What fun!

So, fix it a little to stabilize the stock and I agree a nicer scope would be great. But, keep it otherwise as it is to remind you of your granddad.

You should show us pictures of your other Krag too. Love seeing new ones.

IP Logged

ArizonaTravis
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2020 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Sure thing Whig. Its a 1895 Krag that shoots awesome. I know its not completely original but that wasn't the goal when I bought it. I bought is as it was in pretty good shape and there wouldn't be any problems with shooting it. The only thing that is wrong with it is that it is missing the magazine cutoff. It's on the magazine fed setting anyway so that is a minor thing I would like to fix eventually. I just haven't found the best way of doing this without having to a lot of disassembly to it.

And if I haven't said it, thanks to all of you who replied with help and advice. It's nice to know that there is a community like this that exists.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2020 at 4:24am
Print Post  
Hi Arizona Travis,

I have an 1899 carbine that was also dove tailed to allow for the Marbles sight mounted on the rifle when I purchased it.

Fortunately for me the original Krag rear sight holes were not filled-in and I was able to easily restore to its original 1899 configuration.

Your grandfather's Krag has a neat history and I would leave it as is with the exception of trying to stabilize the crack where the screw is on the left side.

Additionally, if you choose to do so, Marbles or Marbles like buckhorn sights are easily available on the web.

You can also fill-in the scope holes with set screws you may have laying around or you can acquire them from a gunsmith or hardware store.

Otherwise, trying to restore it to original condition would be a costly endeavor!

BTW: I think the front sight is kinda cool!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint