Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Looking for a broken 1896-1898 Krag stock... (Read 1242 times)
CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Looking for a broken 1896-1898 Krag stock...
Mar 11th, 2020 at 5:15am
Print Post  
Whoa - yes, you read that right.  Trying to button up a pretty cool (to me at least) Krag project  (THANKS WHIG).  The stock I have currently had about an inch and a half taken from the butt to install a modified butt plate.  I'd like to return to original configuration and buying a broken stock is one such way.  If you've got one laying around that is maybe split through the wrist, etc, and is beyond repair - I need just the last 2-3" or so of the butt.  I don't need any metal bits, just the end of the butt stock.

I apologize in advance, I know this isn't a classified section, but the market for Krag parts is a small one, and I figure a collection of guys knowledgeable on the Krag sporters would be my best audience.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Looking for a broken 1896-1898 Krag stock...
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I actually use a Pachmayr Decelerator butt pad on my Krags when I shoot for any length of time. I have a set of three different sizes I use on a variety of milsurp rifles. I'm not a wimp but not stupid either. It saves the sore shoulder syndrome!

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
I think they should've issued those with the straight pull Steyr rifles!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Heck, have you shot the Jungle Carbine? That hardened rubber butt pad feels like a rock against your shoulder if you don't put a rubber pad over it!

IP Logged

CoRifleman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 1:49am
Print Post  
I've got a SMLE, but not the JC variant.  Full power 303 with everything lightened and a 60yr old rubber butt pad?  Yikes!

And I may have found a 1903 springfield butt stock to try, I'm not sure on the contours, but it has the potential to be easier than starting with a rectangular block.  (And I ordered a decelerator for the meantime. Cheesy Cheesy)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint