Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Krag carbine? (Read 1984 times)
Krag hunter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag carbine?
Mar 12th, 2020 at 1:20am
Print Post  
I found this Krag at a local gun show.  Serial # 771 is all that shows.  Rear site has a "c" on the right side, but I am sure this is a cut down rifle.  Any info would be appreciated, as I get time I will post more pictures.  This is the third Krag in my life, my father had one and I used my Uncle's sporterized Krag for hunting for several years in college. 

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag carbine?
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Sporterized Model 1896 Krag looks interesting. The rear sight looks like a Model 1901 sight but the "c"s would not be on the right side. Need close ups of sight and of receiver to get a better look at the serial number area.

We would need to see lots more close up pictures to figure out more about this interesting Krag you have found.

Welcome to KCA and thanks for sharing this!

IP Logged

Krag hunter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Hi Whig, I will get more pictures and post them.  Not sure what my goal is with this rifle, just always wanted one.  I appreciate any information I can gather on this website.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 4:23am
Print Post  
'Krag hunter' - Welcome to  the KCA Forum.

As Whig stated, your Krag appears to be a 'cut-down' model 1896 rifle.

Your rear-sight appears to be a model 1896 sight to me.

The 1896 carbine rear-sight was marked with a "C" on the right-side of the base.
The 1896 carbine-sight leaf has graduations going up to 20 (2,000 yards) with a "C" on the right 'leg' of the leaf, even with the 20, which is at the top face of the left 'leg'.

The 1896 rifle-sight leaf only goes up to 18 (1,800 yards) with no "C".
There are differences in the 'eye-piece/slide' of the carbine and rifle 1896 sights.

Should you have a correct & complete model 1896 carbine sight, they are quite valuable (worth over $500). The rifle 1896 sight is only worth around $50.

It looks like your barrel is about 26 inches long with a 1903 Springfield front sight installed. Springfield Armory did not make this combination.

Krag carbine barrels were exactly 22 inches long.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2020 at 3:33pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
'Krag hunter' - If you mouse 'click' on the "Krag Collectors Association" Logo, at the top of this page, it will take you to a Main Page. At the Main Page, 'click' on the tab labeled "photos" and you will find some good pictures and descriptions showing various Krag sights, hand-guards, and other features.

IP Logged

Krag hunter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I took a close look at the rear sight.  Definite "C" on the base but the leaf only goes up to 18.  So it appears that I have a combination rear sight.  I attached a couple more pictures. Thanks for the replies.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Looks like a "c" on the right base of your M1896 rear sight.

I can't tell from your picture if it is an authentic carbine base. There have been many faked M1896 carbine rear sights because they are so valuable.

A better close up of the "c" with the slide moved out of the way would be interesting.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 3:24am
Print Post  
'Krag hunter' - The "C" on your base looks good to me.

I think your logic is correct - mixed parts - a carbine sight base with a rifle leaf.

A photo of the slide 'V-notch' would allow identifying whether the slide is rifle or carbine type.

IP Logged

Krag hunter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Ok, I finally got a chance to take a few more pictures and took the bolt apart and a good look at the bore.  Bore looked good and shiny, pleasant surprise.  Not sure where I am going to go from here with this.  Mainly would like to take it this fall deer hunting just because.  But here are the pictures.  Let me know what you think.

IP Logged

Krag hunter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
One more

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Your Krag should be a fine Deer rifle, for woodland hunting, as is.

Take 'her' to the Range and try some 180 grain Remington or Winchester factory ammo. You will have fun, guaranteed!

(Save the Brass for future reloading fun).

It appears your stock is a model 1898 stock that was altered to accept a model 1896 action.

Your front-sight is the 1905 sight for the 1903 Springfield. It appears neatly mounted.
There are commercial sight-blades that can replace the military blade and improve the sight-picture for Hunting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint