Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krags from the same month and year? (Read 1131 times)
Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krags from the same month and year?
Mar 12th, 2020 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I found a nice Krag carbine on GB that was made the same mo/yr as my school rifle. Anybody here have Krags with close sn’s and is that a valid Krag collecting criteria? I knows what I like and I like what I knows. Haven’t bid yet as I’m waiting for the MACA to pull the plug on the big Baltimore show on the 21st. I’ll try not to cry. What with over 100 colleges shutting down and now the NBA suspending all games and all the other event cancellations I think that MACA will cancel too.
Update....Just got an email, no MACA show this year. I think a lot of us are going to be disappointed this year [Nationals at Perry, End of Trail, Disneyland] It took 4 months for china with its draconian nazi policies to turn the corner. How long will it take this country with its pussy footing around 2 month plus of lag time to turn the corner? Chinese curse,’ may you live in interesting times.’
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2020 at 2:13am by Baltimoreed »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krags from the same month and year?
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
I have on Latex Gloves and a Particulate Mask every time I 'visit' the KCA Forum.
Lots of old cosmoline here and you never know what that could be harboring!

FWIW - I don't think you can know for sure, exactly, what month a U.S. Krag was assembled.
It is normally a best guess arrived at circumstantially and by calculation.
(Other variables can always disrupt smooth manufacturing, processing, and numeric order).

I have two model 1899 carbines, numbered 725 digits apart. According to Poyer's tables, one was made in September, 1901, and the other in October, 1901.
Bill Mook's figures seem to put both in October, 1901.

I have two model 1898 rifles, whose serial numbers are 2,143 digits apart. Both Mook's and Poyer's calculations place manufacture in July, 1901.

I'm happy and content to have an approximation and context of when something was made. I'm not looking for consecutive serial numbers.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2020 at 3:13am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 2:04am
Print Post  
I didn’t win the 1899 carbine that i was bidding on. I stopped at 500.00 less than the 1850.00 buy now that it sold for. Too much in my opinion. Maybe next time.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Anybody check out the 1896 carbine on GB? 25 bids have bid it up to $3370.99. Looks immaculate. Someone has a time machine, had to been built yesterday. His cartouche is not as nice as mine though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint