Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Seeking to Identify Krag (Read 1681 times)
Hammerhead06
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Seeking to Identify Krag
Mar 13th, 2020 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Good Morning, I purchased a Krag rifle some time ago and have only recently become curious about its provenance.  I was shooting with a friend who has an 1894 Krag and we noticed mine was shorter than his.  It is not a carbine and we both become obsessed with finding out more about it.  My Krag is an 1896 Springfield and the serial number is 87986.  If anyone can assist me with learning more about this rifle I wold greatly appreciate it.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Seeking to Identify Krag
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the KCA. These guys are good at identifying all the nuances of Krags. Detailed pictures will help. Front sight and rear sight especially. From what I have read here there were some experiments with 26 inch Krag barrels. If you have one with an original Krag front sight you have a rare bird. Most with 26 barrels will be sporterized with a 03 Springfield or a commercial front sight.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
'Hammerhead06' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

As FredC stated, close, focused photos of sights, markings, muzzle-crown, and forearm tip will help identify what you have.

Model 1896 U.S. Krag, #87986, was assembled around January or February, 1898, as an infantry rifle with a 30 inch long barrel, (if measured from barrel muzzle to 'closed' bolt-face with a cleaning-rod).

BTW - Krag carbines had 22 inch barrels.
(The 26 inch barreled rifles, FredC alluded to, were built in 1902 on Model 1898 actions in the 387,000 to 389,000 serial number range).

In all likelihood, your Krag was privately 'cut-down' for hunting convenience or VFW use, after it left U.S. Government service.

For 'starters', exactly how long is the barrel now?

IP Logged

Hammerhead06
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
I have to go home and measure it, I did have some work performed on it by my Gun Smith and he told me the barrel work  looked to be factory work (in his opinion).  When I get home I will take some photos and get the exact measurement of the barrel.  I appreciate the assistance.  It does fire as I have taken it to the range several times.  It also has not been sporterized.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
A U.S. model 1896 and model 1898 Krag front-sight base and barrel 'crown' will have this appearance. (see attached photo).

(Note - The pinned-in 'blade', that was intended for use with an 1896 rear-sight, will be shorter).

Very early model 1892 Krag barrels (receiver is marked 1894) may have a 'flat' square crown, if not updated.

IP Logged

Hammerhead06
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Well, mine does not look like that, must have been modified for some other use.  My wife sent me these images of the front sight and forearm tip.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Your Krag's original front-sight has been replaced with a 1903 Springfield sight. This is not Springfield Armory work.

The barrel has likely been shortened and the muzzle 'stepped-down' to accept a Krag or 1903 Springfield bayonet. (Both should fit).

If your barrel is around 24 inches long, it was likely done by a VFW or American Legion Post for their Honor Guard.

If a 22 inch barrel, the work was possibly done by Bannerman's or Stokes-Kirk surplus stores to make a cheap imitation "School Rifle".

Not a lot of collector interest and value is lowered to around $300, but, it still can be a fun rifle to shoot!

IP Logged

Hammerhead06
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks very much, it is good to have the mystery solved.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Goes to show again how much many "gunsmiths" know about Krags.

Welcome to KCA and glad you now know what you have.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint