Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
2" gun cart (Read 2735 times)
FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

2" gun cart
Mar 13th, 2020 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
My new 2" gun cart just arrived. The photo show it with a big gun. I will be using 2 smaller guns with 5/8 or 11/16 bores. (P85 Guns)

Close as I could come to the 1.6" mountain gun.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2020 at 8:02pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 2" gun cart
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 3:08am
Print Post  
Ya made me look, Fred.

Maybe you can take that down to El Paso and control the border?  Wink

(Don't use it indoors, unless you are washing walls).
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2020 at 1:28pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Mar 14th, 2020 at 3:08am:
Ya made me look, Fred.

Maybe you can take that down to El Paso and control the border?  Wink

(Don't use it indoors, unless you are washing walls).

By controlling the border, you mean washing the dust off scrub brush? Or making a small green spot? The last time I used the small towable pivots they made 5 acre circular green spots if you watered the equivalent of 3 inches. My son said the pasture looked unnatural with those green spots when everything around them was burned up.
Rate of fire with the P85s will be 80 to 100 gallons per minute with a radius of about 100 feet depending on delivery pressure and nozzle size. That will be about 3/4 of an acre, so I have to calculate how long to achieve 3 inches of water. One inch will keep the grass from dying for a while, 2 inches will actually green it up, and 3 inches will make it grow.
If this had different kind of guns you might describe it as delivering 700 pounds of ordinance per minute? Pretty good rate of fire.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Holy Power Washer!
Fred, I just meant you could stop contraband from coming in to the country.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I heard a Corona joke a couple of months ago.
Guy was having a physical and decided to play a trick on his doctor. He smuggle a bottle of Corona into the exam room and substituted it for urine.
A couple hours later the doctor told him I am not sure if this is good news or bad for you, but your mare is pregnant!

Never drank the stuff so I have no clue what Corona tastes like, but I thought the joke was funny.

On border protection I joked with a friend with an air plane about dropping a drum of tri-sodium phosphate into the mud pit at the local mud races with the idea the mud would become so slick that the mud trucks would be swallowed up. I guess a slick enough area on the border would stop the traffic?!?

Copied your photo to another web site and noticed it is titled ANTIDOTE. Not sure which one is the antidote for the other, but if Corona beer is the antidote we do not want to stop it at the border do we?
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2020 at 11:14pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 12:01am
Print Post  
I came across this old photo of a WWI German artillery crew shooting their water canon...Sure looks vaguely familiar?

I read that the German water canons gave the British and French quite the soaking during the battle of the Somme!Cheesy

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2020 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Yeah, I could just see them coming out of the trenches like drowned rats.
I looked at the 4 inch gun cart, but it was just over kill, too hard to move by hand. If you had enough pump to pressurize a 2 inch bore nozzle that would be something.
I have heard that some of the fire boats with an unlimited supply of water and high pressure pumps can blast through brick walls. Gotta be careful with high pressure water. Water jets with abrasive slurry can cut through very heavy sections of hardened steel.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Did some mods to the cart, axle spacers drilled and tapped the axles for grease zerks. I got the pipe fittings the other day and assembled them, built specialized adapters. Mounted the P85 guns, then disassembled them and made new spacers when both the spacers came unglued. Reassembled everything and watered 2 hours last evening. It rained .8 inches last night and is still raining. I need to hire myself out as a rain maker, every time I commit to one of these projects it starts raining when I finish. I will take a picture when it stops raining.

Gotta give a shout out to the guys at Nelson Sprinklers. Gave them a call yesterday at 5:50PM and got a fellow in Washington still at work. The threads on the "shaft" were very tight, not sure if they were not left hand.  Don Zimmerman assured me they were right hand, so I put some more torque on them and got them to let go. While I was on the line he made calls to other employees to try and identify what material I could use to make the spacers. I had some 1-5/8 Delrin plastic on hand and used it to make the spacers. Don also gave me the phone number where I can get parts when it is not an emergency and emailed me a assembly drawing with part numbers. Way better than the service I expected on 20 year old sprinklers.

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Here behind the Redwood Curtain, we live in dairy country.  Those 4" guns don't pump water.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Waterman,
4 inch guns or 4 inch gun carts? Either one would be impressive and smelly spaying from the waste water pond.

I have done 2 tests with the gun cart using the P85 guns with 11/16 nozzles. Each time I tested it rained 4 times the previous rain starting before I could even complete the test. It rained .2 inches a week before the first test and .8 inches during that first test. The second test a couple of days later a 3.4 inch rain started before I finished.  I was thinking about testing it today as I will have a few minutes free but I am not sure we are ready for 13.6 inches of rain.
Thinking about hiring my self out as a rainmaker "have water gun will travel".
Specifications as it sits today. Twin 69 caliber barrels and built in chamber pressure gauge. 4'' valve head with 2 inch reducer beside the cart.
Gotta be careful with these big guns, they could put an eye out at close range.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint