Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Buy your dad that Krag (Read 1159 times)
Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Buy your dad that Krag
Mar 19th, 2020 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
In a post yesterday, Mike asked about the very interesting 1896 Carbine he purchased as a gift for his father. Comments including concerns that it went for a pretty high price on GB.

Well Mike, I say, So What? Buy the rifle and give that gift and GOOD FOR YOU! The price doesn't matter as much as the time remaining with your father.

Here is my story about Krags and Dads. My dad was a collector. He was a shop teacher and never made a ton of money. But he would save up and buy a military rifle here and there. The first Krag  I can remember was an 1898 rifle that stood in a rack at my grandparents in the 1960's. Dad bought a few Krag parts and projects in the 1970's before there were any collector books about them. Friends started to offer Krags to him for sale as our knowledge and interest built.

Fast forward to the 1980's. I was through college, just married and starting a working career. We had chatted with Bill Brophy a few times before his book was published and Bill Mook and others tracked dad down to talk Krags as well.

As the collection grew, Mook invited us to meet him and his Krag buddies at some of the major national East and West gun shows. My dad declined saying plane tickets and hotels cost too much.  Here is my point. The cost didn't matter. I bought the plane tickets and we made a number of very memorable trips together on my dime. Later on as I had a few extra bucks I was able to purchase some Krags for our collection that dad could never afford. Again the price didn't matter much, because dad passed away early, just as we both were spending more time together. I am so thankful that we shared that Krag time before he was gone.

So Mike, I sincerely hope you and your dad get to spend many happy days together shooting Krags and making memories. The money doesn't mean so much.

I miss my dad and treasure our shared Krag collection.

CAT Man

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Buy your dad that Krag
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Cat,

That's a fantastic story about your dad that you will treasure the rest of your life. I have great memories of things my dad taught me that influence things I do every day.

Mike bought a beautiful Krag carbine that is one of the nicest I've seen. It looks like it was refurbished, to me, and I have numerous Krags and carbines myself to compare it to. I stated that the military collector's value is different (lower) than the appeal and value as a beautifully restored or refurbished Krag carbine.

Mike's dad will be a proud owner of this treasure but, more importantly, it is a gift from his loving son.

Now That's Priceless!!

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing Cat Man but I bet if you daddy were alive today he'd probably have a lot to say about paying $3,925 for a Krag carbine. Cheesy

For many of us $3,925 is a lot of money and makes for an expensive purchase...but i guess it's all relatively speaking.

Like you...I also say "So what!"...if you can afford it then go for it and enjoy the memories.

Unfortunately for me most of my memories include the voice of my wife saying "You paid how much for that thing!!!" Huh

BTW: Whig could you please stop displaying that picture...every time I see it I break down and cry with envy.  Just kidding...your a very fortunate man to have such a beautiful collection!!!
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2020 at 5:10am by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Cat Man - Thanks for sharing about your Krag adventures with your Dad.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Great thread! 
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member