Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
 25 1898 Sporter Serial# 456713 (Read 6388 times)
Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Sporter Serial# 456713
Reply #30 - May 4th, 2020 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
+1 What Whig said!!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #31 - May 4th, 2020 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
mavt wrote on May 4th, 2020 at 9:27pm:
Yes, I think you are onto something there. When looking into the cut with good light there is clearly a bright spot worn through the blueing covering most of the right sidewall of the cut. 

If that rubbed spot is on the barrel and not the receiver it is definitely a warrantee issue. The barrel needs to be tightened slightly(this will move the front sight also), or the extractor cut is not far enough to the right and need so be remachined.

If the wear spot is on the receiver it still may be a warrantee issue. The barrel extractor cut could be out of place for the same reasons as above but on the left side and tries to push the extractor to the right. In this case you might see wear on both sides. Further in on the barrel (left side) and outside on the right side of the barrel.

I bought a barreled receiver from one of the participants in this discussion so I could check things like this. I ran a probe down both sides of the slot and can feel about .002 or .003 mismatch in the one on hand. Sliding the extractor in there without the bolt there is about .005 clearance on the side of the extractor. That is pretty close tolerance. The boys at the armory did good work, but that tolerance makes it hard to duplicate 100+ years later doing only a few barrel jobs at a time. When I did the extractor cut on my sporter, I screwed the barrel in to normal torque then scribed a line on the barrel where the extractor should go and then made the extractor cut about .010 wider than required to allow for tightening error. The armory boys apparently did not have that luxury.

Unless you dropped the bolt and bent or otherwise damaged the extractor, it sounds like a warrantee issue. You might try sliding the loose extractor into the barrel/receiver slot for grins before you send it off. It is fairly easy to do.

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #32 - May 4th, 2020 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
The rubbed spot on the inside of the extractor cut is in an area that is not normally blued on a Krag but because this receiver was mistakenly blued (which was the 3rd miscue with this job and ruined the original finish) it offered a visual contrast not normally seen at that location.

It does appear the extractor cut on this barrel is angled ratherthan being parallel to the barrel that caused it to be off slightly and bind up the extractor. This was obvious enough for BR to pick it up from my picture and suggest the simple  solution. It took longer to go to the garage to get the stone than was spent actually stoning. So little was taken off I doubt anyone could tell eyeballing it.  There was no way I was sending this back under warranty or not for an adjustment of a couple thousands which is all it took.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #33 - May 5th, 2020 at 12:09am
Print Post  
The installer likely over tightened the barrel a couple of degrees or the notch and thread timing were slightly off.

Widening the notch slightly would be an easy fix with a file, if the barrel were off the action.

Very much Mavt's call. Frustrating that it wasn't done correctly and still isn't quite right.

IMHO - If it were mine, it is easily fixed with a little stone work on the right-side of the extractor claw.

I would not want to send it back to the installer and lose the use of a utility Krag for months.

(Oops, 'mavt' fixed it. Well done You! Give us a Range Report, soon).
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2020 at 5:50am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #34 - May 7th, 2020 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Took it to the range and shot four loads with two different bullets and powders from a bench at 50yds. The 170gr FP wouldn't feed and wasn't surprised but used those first to get on the paper. No feed issues with 180gr RN. Two groups were round and two strung vertically but I'm sure those were me. I haven't been able to shoot it for over a year and both front and rear sights are new to me.

I attached a piece of black plastic from a Hodgdon powder can with a 1/16" drill bit shaft to replicate the front sight blade on a repro base to determine approximate blade height needed. The range is covered so the front sight often looks more like a mirage which didn't help and target bull could have been a bit larger but it functioned ok. First group was a bit right. The Rice sight has limited windage adjustment and with it all the way to the left I was still 1.5 to 2" from center at 50yds with the last three groups in the same vertical plane so that is an issue that goes beyond basic functioning. 

I took a couple pictures trying to keep the rifle level as possible that show the barrel/sight/receiver alignment is off a bit to the left which we suspected caused the extractor cut to be off. When cleaning it last night the angle and light was right to see the barrel cut is to shifted to the left of the receiver cut.

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #35 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I did send an email to the service that did this replacement but also saw they are closed until next week so may not respond until then.  This is my first (and last) barrel replacement. What is involved to realign the barrel? Strip down the receiver again and use of a receiver and barrel wrench? Does this affect the blueing? Won't the headspace now be a bit long? The Criterion barrel has an extra ring of material around the chamber opening that is used to fine tune headspace that appears to have already been removed.

As mentioned previously this has has already been returned twice for issues before the fail to chamber problem. The more required to rectify this the more I want to avoid sending it back and look at other options like a front sight base for dovetailed sights aligned correctly to the bore even if it requires cutting and crowning. Financial adjustments have already been made on this job so the only leverage I have at this point is reputation and the need to keep my sanity after a year of this!   

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #36 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
FWIW - It is hard to tell from a photo, but, your front-sight doesn't appear that far off.

You might consider a better quality (no-drill) rear-sight that has more windage adjustment - Redfield 102K or Pacific K-1.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #37 - May 8th, 2020 at 12:28am
Print Post  
I'll repeat it again at the risk of being annoying. I would send it back with a list of issues and request a new barrel, timed and aligned correctly that may require a new sight added since this one appears to be out of alignment with a poorly affixed barrel. You are shooting a barrel that is not 100% and can be considered dangerous. You should not have to be working on it yourself.

I do gun smithing myself but if I send a piece away for threading or repair or whatever, I expect it to be done correctly so I can trust shooting it with my life! My eyes, hands and life are important to me, as well as my treasured Krags!

If the request is not accepted easily, I would ask for a refund and find a more reputable gun smith.

If this is the case, please let us all know who this is so none of us will have him do any work for us. Reputations and quality of work, good and bad, should be shared!

Just my 2 cents. Do what you think is best. 

I feel like I'm getting to be an old snot like Dick, but at a much younger age. (Meant to be a compliment, Dick! You've taught me a lot!!)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #38 - May 8th, 2020 at 5:05am
Print Post  
IMHO - As aggravating as the flaws are, they now seem cosmetic and never were catastrophic.

It seems other factors weigh into the OP's decision. It is his call.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint