Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
 25 Sporterized 1896 carbine (Read 8688 times)
Aaron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Sporterized 1896 carbine
Mar 23rd, 2020 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Hey guys I'm new here and recently picked up a 1896 krag carbine with an unknown stock and a side scope mount. I'm looking for advice on finishing the stock and cleaning up the rust. It's missing a few things and I have ordered a few parts to finish it off. Thoughts comments and ideas to complete this rifle would be great.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Sporterized 1896 carbine
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
I just bought a barreled receiver recently not for a build just to look at and measure. It had a lot of paint of all things and some rust. Some of the paint removers are very toxic so I used brake fluid to get the paint off.
Important is do no harm, so sand paper, wet or dry paper and abrasive scotch brite would be a no/no for me. Penetrating oil and paper towels can do a lot, on heavy rust maybe fine steel wool with lots of oil. There is a nonabrasive scotch brite made from blue plastic for dishes, not sure how it would work on steel parts with oil for flushing it out. Might be worth a try.
Picture of the stock will help the others give the best advise. Oh and we like to see Krags anyway, even if it does not help us give advice.
One more thing, Welcome to KCA.

IP Logged

Aaron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 3:10am
Print Post  
She's not pretty and I took it apart last night

IP Logged

Aaron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Here is a closer picture

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Just curious if you plan on scoping it. Not that it matters much since it already had been scoped with the modifications already done. Looks like a personal choice in my opinion. But your choice may give you different advice on going down the path you have chosen. Also curious about the dovetail for a sight with straddling tapped holes for a different configured sight. Doe the barrel have any markings on it, especially near the muzzle? What is the length of the barrel? 24"?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Aaron, Welcome to KCA during the world pandemic for the flu. Nice to be playing with Krags during the govt controlled lockdown and violation of our freedoms! Great country we live in!

We love Krags here and are always willing to lend a hand in figuring out what you have and what to do with it.

First, if you can post some more pictures of the Krag including the receiver. Are there holes drilled at all in the receiver? I can't tell from the pictures you posted. What is the serial number? Krag carbines were made at different times and have a variety of serial number ranges. Sometimes we can tell for certain, based on the serial number, if the Krag started out as a carbine or rifle and was cut down to carbine length or had a barrel switch. As Knute pointed out, barrel length is important. That's the measurement from the muzzle to the front of the closed bolt face. The carbine is exactly 22 inches. With a banded front sight, you may have a cut down barrel done after production.

The raw wood stock would certainly appreciate numerous coats of Boiled Linseed Oil. That will give it a nice darkened military finish. Let the coats settle in for a while before wiping down repeatedly.

If you mount an authentic Krag rear sight, it should cover the added dove tail on your barrel. These sights are available on ebay and Gun Broker as well as other parts sites on the internet. Check out granpasgunparts.com. He's running a sale right now on Krag parts and he's a great guy to work with for what you need!

As you progress, let us see more pictures so we can enjoy your progress.

How is the bore condition? Many Krags have very pitted or worn bores from years of use with corrosive primer shooting. But, even a shot out or pitted bore can still shoot well, we have found out.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Also, if you have some surface rust, I have found that if you take a copper penny (made before 1982) and scrape the rust with the edge of the penny, it will scrape off rust well without even damaging bluing. Put oil on the rust before scraping. It's a neat little trick that I have used for years. Scrape carefully with oil and see what happens. Helps a lot for surface rust but cannot fill in holes if pitted, of course.

IP Logged

Aaron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Looks like I have a p on the barrel right past the receiver on the bottom side. I believe the serial number 81502. Also I did think about scoping it as it's already drilled and tapped for a mount. I put the bolt in and measured 22 1/2 ☚ī¸

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Pictures help but the "P" is usually there as a proof mark put on at Springfield Armory to show that the barrel passed pressure testing . If the barrel is 22 1/2 inches, it probably is, then, a cut down Krag rifle barrel. That's real common. Long 30 inch rifle barrels were frequently cut down to be used and carried easier for hunting. The .30-40 Krag round is a great hunting caliber in this part of the world.

I don't have my lists with me but the Krag serial number 81502 was made around October 1897.

By memory, I believe that this was made slightly after the second grouping of M1896 carbines and would, therefore, have been originally made as a rifle. That would confirm that this was a M1896 Krag rifle cut down to carbine length.

IP Logged

Aaron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 11:59am
Print Post  
That's what I was afraid of, it definitely is a nice length. I found a 1901 rear sight on eBay. I also ordered the selector switch for single feed or magazine fed. I will try to get more pictures and will take a good look at the bore. Thanks for a knowledge 👍

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
'Aaron' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your metal does not look that bad to me. There appears to be lots of finish still on your barrel.

Using small #0000 steel wool pads soaked with penetrating oil or Hoppe's #9 will remove light surface rust and not harm metal finish and patina. Use just a light pressure and keep things moist with penetrating oil.

Heavier scale can be broken down with a worn bronze bore-brush, copper penny, edge of a discarded brass cartridge case and penetrating oil.

I have had luck with a mixture of linseed oil & pumice or rotten-stone, used with the edge of a Popsicle Stick, to create a 'slurry' and burnish a rusty barrel surface into a pleasant patina. Go slow and occasionally wipe off mess with paper towel to check progress. (Repeat process until happy with results).

Aaron, I don't know if you are familiar with original Krag finishes. The various metal parts received specific and different metal finishes.

The metal was not a uniform "Bluing".

Krag barrels were rust blued (officially called 'browning').

The Reciever, side-plate & magazine-door were case-hardened. This was mottled colors that often turn silvery with age.

The Bolt body was polished bright. The extractor-spring was flame blue. The striker-knob and bolt-sleeve were case-colored. Screws were blackened.

BTW - Original Krag American walnut stocks were stained at Springfield Armory with Logwood, which gave a reddish-brown color, prior to getting their linseed oil finish.

An original Krag rear sight will hide the unofficial 'dovetail' that was added to your barrel. The Krag sight screws are a peculiar 30 tpi. Reproduction screws are available from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y.

(FWIW - I have Krag #81028. It is a cut-down model 1896 rifle. I recently fitted it to a poorly cut-down model 1898 stock, to make what I call, a 'Faux' or false 1896 Carbine. The front-sight is a 1903 Springfield sight, so no one should be deceived in the future).
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2020 at 3:18pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
We are just so full of helpful advice! If you do go with an original sight it will only be accurate at 100 yards or whatever you set your front sight for (I might go for 150 yd zero). Grandpa's for that cut off switch.  I think they may be different for the 96 receiver. If you end up using the scope and the cut off is in the way a piece of steel could be fitted and filed to shape to allow cartridges to feed freely and without damage to the rims, I think I have heard of the right size nail being filed to shape for this.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
'Aaron', from your photos it appears your Krag was drilled for a Weaver #2 side-mount plate.

The scope mount that attaches to this plate is still made or available. This is not a bad rig if you ever wish to try a scope on your Krag.

I have a model 1898 carbine that was unfortunately 'drilled & tapped'. It is a good Range gun.

(p.s. Any of the various U.S. Krag 'magazine cut-offs' will work with the model 1896 action. The Weaver side-mount interferes with rotating the issue safety-lever, but, not the cut-off lever).

The Weaver mount is off-set to the left, so the 'iron sights' can still be used with the scope in place.

Attached photos of Weaver #2 plate and mount:

IP Logged

Aaron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Wow you guys are really helpful, I do plan on using the sights for now and possibly a scope later! I will keep you guys updated with my progress and questions. I also bought some brass for reloading.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Besides being helpful, these guys are a lot of fun. We have this thread going but it has not been updated lately (see below). There are a lot more feet photos not added, but you will get the idea and contribute one of your own one of these days.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint