Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Working on 1898 rear sight (Read 1520 times)
Rmasters3
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Working on 1898 rear sight
Mar 25th, 2020 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
I am working on an 1898 rear sight--I believe the same sight was also used on 1902 the model.  Regardless, top of the sight ladder broke and I need to replace the ladder.  Parts are on their way, but I wanted to know if there's some special method for removing and replacing it.  Or is ti tap the pin out-remove ladder-tap pin back in?  Thanks

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Sporterized 1896 carbine
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 3:08am
Print Post  
Rmasters3 - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

The U.S. Krag model 1898 sight and model 1902 sight have a resemblance to each other and parts can interchange, but, they are really different sights.

To add further to the confusion, many model 1898 rifle sight eye-piece/leaf assemblies were altered and used in one of the variations of the 1902 sight.

The model 1898 sight has a lower base and a complex spring. The eye-piece has three sighting notches. The left-side of the leaf is smooth.

The model 1902 sight-base is taller. The leaf spring is flat and fits into a dove-tail machine into the base. The eye-piece has one sighting notch. The left-side of the leaf is serrated.

For both sight models, take-down is the same. The leaf (hinge) pin is driven left to right.

The complete 1898 or 1902 sight can be carefully clamped side-ways in a vise with wood protecting the bottom of the base and a narrow piece of wood bearing on the leaf. (I use 2 or 3 stacked popsicle sticks).

The vise is used to put a bit of tension on the leaf to counter the spring.
The pin can be easily driven-out with a brass drift (punch).

IP Logged

Rmasters3
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
I think I have the 1898 sight.  My serial number is 195044, which I think is 1899 production.   Top of my sight ladder is broken off, so I had the slide but not the top--which I have ordered.  This will be a shooter, but complete and with a much better than average stock, based on other milsurp rifles I have of roughly the same vintage.  Appreciate the input and any additional would be welcomed.  I'd add more than one picture if I was computer savvy enough to do so.

EDIT:  Got my sight together.  Only thing lacking is the pin that goes through the adjuster knob.  I suspect almost any wire of the appropriate size would work--I got as low as a 16 Gauge brad, but still was too large--any suggestions here?
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2020 at 7:04pm by Rmasters3 »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 3:37am
Print Post  
'Rmasters3' - A pin can be made from a  small steel nail.

'Chuck-up' a nail in an electric Drill.
The nail should have the 'Head' cut off and be slightly larger in diameter than the hole in the knob.

Spin the nail in the Drill, while reducing its diameter with a file. When getting close to a fit, change to Emery Cloth.

Cut your new 'pin' slightly longer than the knob diameter.

Assemble parts and carefully 'peen' the ends of your replacement pin, being careful not to flatten the 'knurling' of the knob.

Aaron - Your stock is looking good. I'm sorry we have other questions on your thread.

IP Logged

Rmasters3
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Thanks for the input.  I sometimes have to ponder things, generally over a night or two and the wire nail reduction with a drill came to my mind as well.  I've used this before on other firearms.  Also mean to try a couple size paper clips. 

Planning a range visit today.  Will let you know how it goes?  Any cautions about new, commercial ammo?

I ended up with a rounded corner sight head--which I read somewhere was used on 1899 production.  Is this correct?

butlersrangers wrote on Mar 29th, 2020 at 3:37am:
'Rmasters3' - A pin can be made from a  small steel nail.

'Chuck-up' a nail in an electric Drill.
The nail should have the 'Head' cut off and be slightly larger in diameter than the hole in the knob.

Spin the nail in the Drill, while reducing its diameter with a file. When getting close to a fit, change to Emery Cloth.

Cut your new 'pin' slightly longer than the knob diameter.

Assemble parts and carefully 'peen' the ends of your replacement pin, being careful not to flatten the 'knurling' of the knob.

Aaron - Your stock is looking good. I'm sorry we have other questions on your thread.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
'Rmasters3' - The commercial ammo should be fine in your Krag. Have fun at the Range.

Why not start a new thread and post some pictures (around 100 KB works best for me on the forum) of your Krag and sights.

That will beget better answers and feed-back.

p.s. Aaron needs this thread to show his progress with his project.

IP Logged

Rmasters3
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I struggle with the technology of reducing image size to fit this site.  I will try.  Again.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2020 at 3:02pm by Rmasters3 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint