Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 New krag owner trying to learn more about them (Read 7177 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New krag owner trying to learn more about them
Reply #15 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Reproduction Krag front-sight blades can be purchased from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y. (Their Catalog is view-able online).

The Krag front-sight pin is tapered. It should be driven Left to Right. The rifle blade (alone) is normally .413" tall, when measured out of its base.

A taller front-sight will lower the point on the target where your 'cut-down' rifle groups.

Since this Krag's barrel was shortened, the front sight base was undoubtedly re-attached.
The base is very likely shorter than it was originally.

You might be further ahead just making a new 'taller' blade (out of a coin, sheet metal, or brass) and experimenting.

It is unlikely an original blade will be quite the right height, because the location and base height have all been changed.
These changes have altered the 'sighting angle' to the point you are shooting a foot high.

Maybe the gunsmith, you have working on this Krag, can estimate, make, and insert a taller blade, while he has your gun?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Just an after thought on your 'cut-down' Krag.

Plated or Chromed, painted stock, shortend barrel .... It is likely this was made into a 'parade rifle' by some Veterans or Drill Group.

IMHO - You don't want to pour too much money into this Krag.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
The chrome or nickel plated Krags were only used for parades or other celebratory purposes. If done well, they can look really neat. I have one in my collection that was nickel plated. I bought it because it is in nice condition and the nickel plating is excellent. But, as Butlers says above, they are not in much demand and not very valuable.

All Krags can be collected and enjoyed. If yours is plated, though, it may need the bore and chamber checked out. Sometimes these were altered to allow only blanks to be shot or to prevent shooting altogether. Some of these parade rifles had the firing pin removed or striker hole welded shut. Also, if the bore was plated along with the external metal, it could affect proper function with a .30 caliber bullet.

So, be cautious if considering trying to shoot the parade rifle.

I sent a personal message to you. Look at the top of the page to link to your message.

Can you post pictures of the parade rifle?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
As Butlersrangers mentioned above...replacement Krag front sights can be purchased from S & S firearms.

Here's a link to their website which list an extra tall front sight that can be filed down to meet your needs.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Gunnutz
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Thank you Capt. Frank l will try that, so far l have tried shooters choice and sweats 7.62. I don’t have a borescope but if l hold it up to a light it looks like it has some pitting in the chamber and in the barrel, not sure if it had Ammo with corrosive primers shot in it and not cleaned or just neglected over it’s lifetime. The rest of the gun on the outside looks great, like a 120 year patina. I am going to try your method and see if it will clean up some more. Thank you all for welcoming me to your forum and for the ongoing knowledge you share, these rifles are a great part of our firearms history and l am enjoying learning more about them.

IP Logged

Gunnutz
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:36am
Print Post  
butlersrangers, l will check that website out for front sight blade, thank you. I just stopped by the gunsmith shop today and l think l am just going to have him refinish the stock, he got all the baby crap brown thick paint stripped off and l really can’t nor could he, believe what a beautiful piece of walnut was hiding under it. He has done quite a few older military firearms and he said he has never seen wood like that. It is nickel finish on it and in very good shape he said it was done very well so l am going leave it alone. He set the barrel w/action back in the stock and it looks pretty good. I will get some pics posted as soon as l get back. He is going to do an oil finish so l am excited to see the finished product

IP Logged

Gunnutz
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2020 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Hi all, just got my other Krag back today from the gunsmith. I had the stock stripped and refinished, he put 10 coats of tiny oil on, worked on the trigger pull, fixed a couple cracks in the stock, replaced two pieces of wood that were missing just in front of the bolt handle and just in front of the side plate and glass bedded the action, it was a little loose in the stock. Still amazed at the wood on this 120ish year old military rifle

IP Logged

Gunnutz
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - May 2nd, 2020 at 1:46am
Print Post  
More pics

IP Logged

Gunnutz
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - May 2nd, 2020 at 1:48am
Print Post  
Krag pics

IP Logged

Gunnutz
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - May 2nd, 2020 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Pics

IP Logged

Gunnutz
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - May 2nd, 2020 at 2:07am
Print Post  
I debated about the nickel finish if l should have him get it back to blued but it is in good condition and l ended up liking the contrast of the natural walnut with the nickel plating so l am going to leave it that way. Not sure if anyone can give me any info on the he sights it looks like a SA installed front sight but l’m not sure. The barrel has been cut to 23 1/2 inches on it. Would that be something SA would have done? Cutting the barrel down reinstall the front sight and put nickel plate finish to make a ceremony gun or parade gun? Thank you for any info you can give on it

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - May 2nd, 2020 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Gunnutz-

Your reworked Krag looks great with that wonderful new stock finish. Very nicely done and it certainly has brightened up the rifle dramatically. I have a nickel plated Krag rifle and, even though it has no military collector's value, I bought it because it looks neat! The nickel plating is much nicer than the chrome plating crap I've seen.

Generally, Springfield Armory did not refinish Krags in nickel or chrome and did not create "parade" rifles. They did create school rifles to be used at certain military institutions but not like ours. Your barrel was apparently cut and a new front sight was put on by someone else.

Your front sight, in the one picture, looks a little off. The top of the sight base looks non-parallel to the barrel. The base does look like a good welding or brazing job but I can't see the entire base.

The pictures below show how precisely Springfield Armory brazed the bases on the Krag barrels. It is seemless and almost invisible. There can be seen a small rim where the brazing was done but very light in most cases.

Otherwise, you have a nice Krag. You can shoot it, if the action is sound, and enjoy it. Many pitted barrels have enough rifling to still be very accurate. Don't worry about that.

Good job!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - May 2nd, 2020 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Here are pictures of my Nickel Plated Krag.

IP Logged

Gunnutz
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - May 3rd, 2020 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Whig, your nickel plated krag looks great, very clean. After looking at your front sights in the pics l noticed mine looks different at the base, it doesn’t flare out as much front and back, could mine have been cut off when the barrel got shortened and re-welder maybe? That may be why it shoots about 14” high at 50yds here is another pic of my front sight.

IP Logged

Gunnutz
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - May 3rd, 2020 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Whig, l meant to ask, which rear sight is that on your nickel krag? I’m still trying to learn about them all, thank you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint