Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Want to Modernize a 1898 30-40 Krag SN 84997 (Read 1424 times)
joesamwise
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Want to Modernize a 1898 30-40 Krag SN 84997
Apr 13th, 2020 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Morning Everyone,

I have a story and request. About 8-10 years ago, I received my great grand fathers, who has since passed away, 30-40 krag that he had used in the army. It had been sportized, but it was mine. Fast forward a few years, my house was broken into and the rifle was stolen. Never recovered. Even afte all these years later it still makes me mad that someone did that to me. Anyhow, I was at a gun show a few years back and purchased this 30-40 Krag. It has definitly been sportized and pillaged. I have taken it to the range and fired it few times after I had it checked out by a local gun smith. Overall, the functionality of the firearm is in good working order. I love how this firearm shoots. It's wonderful.

So a couple of things. Would someone please tell me a little bit of the gun? Was it a rifle or carbine? I looked up the serial number (84997) and found it was built in 1897 according to oldguns.net. Also, could someone please tell me what has been done to the gun? I can tell that the stock has been sporterized. Something happened to the barrel between the chamber and the front "barrell band". Also, it looks like the front sight has been messed w/ too (Maybe dremmeled awhile back?). 

The second thing is this. Want I want to do is to modernize this firearm as much as possible. I plan on sending in the parts to CMP to get everything cleaned and reblued. What I need help with is this. Any tips or things to know when doing this? Second, and more importantly, what are some suggestions to where I can find a modern style stock, maybe synthetic, that fits the 30-40 krag? Maybe a custom one depending on cost. Also, I am thinking of removing the front and rear sight and mounting a scope. Any suggestions on mounts? OR what would it take to take this firearm and bring back it to original as much as possible and would that be a better option?

Any advice, thoughts, tips, etc, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

IP Logged

joesamwise
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Want to Modernize a 1898 30-40 Krag SN 84997
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Here is the link to the google photo album that I set up that has the rest of the photos that I took of my Krag.

Thanks!

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
'joesamwise' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. I am sorry that your grand-father's Krag was stolen from you. You have a rather nice 'sportered' Krag.

Your Krag, #84997, is actually a U.S. Model 1896 rifle that has been cut-down for sporting/hunting purposes.

It was likely manufactured around December, 1897, to January, 1898. The barrel was originally 30 inches long.

Your 'wood' was customized from a Krag military stock.

Your rear-sight is a Redfield model 102-K (which required no new holes, but, utilized the discarded 'magazine cut-off' opening).

Your 'banded' front-sight is a 1903 Springfield sight. (A common replacement sight on customized Krags.

IMHO - Your Krag is a nice example of the work that was done to Krags in the 1930's and 1940's, to make them into useful Hunting Rifles.

It has been refinished to what use to be considered a desirable 'blue'. The 'case-colors' on the side-plate, magazine-gate, and some of the action are a nice touch.

I would recommend you leave it as is. I am aware of no synthetic stocks for the Krag. Money spent on 'CMP' gun work or a re-finish, would be wasted.

I do not consider the Krag a good candidate for a scope, when there are good iron sights present. A receiver mounted scope has to be 'off-set' for ejection purposes and will interfere with the issue safety-lever.
(A barrel-mounted, long eye-relief, 'Scout-Scope, is more practical).

If your rifle were mine, I would eventually just discard the steel-strap 'barrel-band', after replacing it, with an 'anchor-screw' or custom barrel-band. I would reshape the 'stock-tip' into a proper Schnabel forearm shape.

(p.s. - Because the Krag trigger-guard screws are so close together, a barrel-band or barrel-screw is needed to prevent 'barrel whip' from splitting the stock in the action area).

I've taken the liberty of editing and attaching some of your photos.
The light spots on your barrel appear to be 'filled' screw-holes. Lots of possible holes for a 'Scout' mount.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2020 at 4:01am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Welcome Joesamwise. Butlersrangers gave you a lot of good info. Before you ditch that rear sight you may want to change the aperture to something that suits you better.
If your eyes are getting old and you really need a scope the long eye relief "scout scopes" are really a good deal for getting on target fast and have several other advantages. Some of the members here have some and have shared photos many times. I got a feeling they will not mind sharing again. Hint, hint.

I made a custom red dot mount for mine but it is for specialized hunting in low light situations. Looks way out of place on an old rifle.

If you pull that rear sight do not throw it away, you may want to reinstall it in the future and if not some of the members here would love to have it.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2020 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Here are a couple of model 1896 Krags (a restored rifle and a 'cut-down' rifle) that I enjoy shooting.
I recently re-worked the 'cut-down' into more of a carbine configuration. (Its shortened barrel was fitted with a 1903 Springfield sight, like OP's).

I do recommend you enjoy your Krag pretty much as it is. (BTW - That Redfield model 102-K rear-sight is a gem for 'Hunting' and sells for around $75 to $100 on EBay).

Warning: A Krag project can easily become a big 'money pit'. Krag metal and wood parts are getting harder to find and prices are goofy.

With antique guns it is better to educate yourself and determine what you really want, while saving your money to buy it.

FWIW - Most 'sportered' Krags will only be worth around $300 and they can be hard to sell, even at that price.

Most 'buyers' want an original military Krag.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2020 at 4:57pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I own original Krag Rifles and Carbines, but also like and own several nice VINTAGE sporters. After I looked at your pictures and the post about updating the rifle I started to formulate a reply.

When I read Butlers recommendation, he covered my thoughts just about word for word and item by item. Great Krag minds think alike. Can't say more.

Why modernize an antique firearm into something it will never be?

Keep what you have, remodel the stock fore end and maybe put a nicer ramp front sight on the muzzle. There is another similar rear sight that has adjustable target knobs that I prefer over the type you (and I) have on our sporters. Easier to adjust. That is all. Keep it vintage.

Here is one we built about 40 years ago. Paid WAY TOO MUCH back then for the bluing and stock fitting and would not do it again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint