Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
168gn Sierra HTBT Krag Carbine loads (Read 2179 times)
Galvinator77
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

168gn Sierra HTBT Krag Carbine loads
Apr 16th, 2020 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Want to try 168gn Sierra HTBT Matchkings in my Carbine. Looking for load recommendations from folks who have shot them.  I realize this has probably been asked already. If so please point me in the right direction w/ a thread title or date and I will go through the archived pages to find it. I have 4895, 4064, Varget, MR-2000 and Reloader 15 powder available. I tried 147gn M80 Ball bullets w/ 39 gn of 4064. It didn't like that load. Probably more due to the bullet than the powder.

My carbine is one that has been talked about in the Military page. I removed the rubber recoil pad and spliced a section of donor stock back to the correct length so I could reinstall the standard butt plate. Still looking for another donor as the bottom of the butt plate sticks below the stock.

Thanks,
Airborne,
Mark

IP Logged

Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 168gn Sierra HTBT Krag Carbine loads
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 3:09am
Print Post  
I’ve been using Hornady 168 FMJBT and 36.5gr IMR 4895 with my Krag rifle. It shoots real close to MOA

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
All the powders you've listed should work good with a mid weight bullet like the 168 and with a shorter barrel like the carbine.  I don't know a thing about MR-2000 however.  I'm not finding it on the burn rate charts I often use.  I did however find a paragraph saying it was comparable to RL15, so same neighborhood as the others you've listed with 4895 being a bit faster than the others.  I'd try Varget first, lots of fellows dote on the accuracy they get with the powder.  About all the cast bullet benchrest shooters up in MI were using Varget a few years back.

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Read my recent post One More Test, this load gave good results.

IP Logged

Galvinator77
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the inputs. Took it to the range on Friday w/ some 168 gn bullet loads. Had a heck of a time trying to get a consistent sight picture. Old eyes and an aperture on the barrel were not working well together. My buddies carbine (converted rifle) shot decent groups My best was a 3" lateral string at 50 yards with 38.6 gn of 4064 w/ the 168's.   I had a mystery load of a light (under 150 grains and 1900 FPS round nose and
wouldn't feed from the magazine that actually shot the best just, under a 2" group. Barrel shows rifling, it may be one of the barrels that is over .308. I will have to slug it and see. 

Airborne,
Mark

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2020 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
'Galvinator' - For some of us, low-power 'Readers' (1X to 2X), used as Shooting Glasses, helps make Krag sights clearer.
It doesn't matter, if the 'Bull' is a bit fuzzy, when front and rear sight are in sharp focus.
Try experimenting with different power glasses.

IP Logged

Galvinator77
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 1:01am
Print Post  
I tried it w/ my 1.75's but I think I need to get my old sight blacker out and blacken the rear of the front sight. One of the previous owners had painted it orange which did nothing for me.
When I removed the paint the rear of the sight is a little shiny. Thanks for the tip, I have other powered Cheaters. Will experiment.

Airborne,
Mark

IP Logged

Galvinator77
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
The light load was a 90 gn partially jacketed
bullet over 9.5 grains of a flake powder possibly bullseye at 1900fps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint