Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Electrolysis for rust removal, you opinion? (Read 1323 times)
Texas10
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Electrolysis for rust removal, you opinion?
Apr 19th, 2020 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
I recently began a restoration of a 1912 Rem. model 12a 22LR. The overall condition was good, but the bore was badly rusted. After an overnight soak with traditional rust removal products and many strokes with a bronze brush, the rust remained.

So I set up an electrolysis tank using a battery charger for power and after a 5 hour soak got all the rust out. Original bluing was untouched, bare steel was bright, and inside the barrel was chrome bright when looking with my Teslong borescope camera.

Have you guys ever tried this method? What were your results and concerns?

I've read that hardened steel will tend to suffer hydrogen embrittlement using this method, and that the fizzing that occurs during the soak is hydrogen gas being released. Not sure how much of that concern is overstated theory and how much practical?

Any and all opinions and concerns appreciated.

BTW: my Krag is in fine shape so not contemplating taking it for a dip just yet.  Cool

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Electrolysis for rust removal, you opinion?
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
This process has been used for many years by people cleaning firearms and badly rusted or leaded bores but has also been the source of a lot of confusion, mis-applied principles and solutions and frequently significant damage to firearms and people with dangerous solutions and by products.

There used to be a product on the market called Outer's Lead Out that used electrolysis but the solution isn't available anymore, commercially. These solutions and methods are explained some on this link:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Here's a discussion about electric bore cleaners also:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Just be careful. I would stick to regular methods like JB Paste and lots of brushes including stainless steel brushes which is what I use, carefully, on a rusted bore.

Many people use too much current with electrolysis methods and damage the metal of the bore.

IP Logged

Texas10
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Yes, easy to make a mistake. But in today's world of instant information, it was easy.

Bought some Arm & Hammer Laundry Booster and Wash Soda (Sodium Carbonate) at wally world. That and a 2 amp battery charger and a length of cold rolled steel and some copper wire is all that's needed.

Don't use Bicarbonate of soda. Not the same thing.

As I wrote, no effect on factory bluing, or parent metal. Just the rust is removed.

I did not try it on any hardened steel.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
FWIW: Krag barrels received heat treating during manufacture process, (as well as, the receiver and action components).

IP Logged

Texas10
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
My recent reading on electrolysis suggests that the bubbles given off by the anode is oxygen with hydrogen being given off by the cathode. If this is correct, hydrogen embrittlement may be less of a concern.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
FWIW - If a barrel is corroded and pitted, the roughness and pits would remain, even if the rust and crud were removed.

It does not appear your .22 barrel was pitted. I am glad you had a good result.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint