Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag Bayonet Catch Missing (Read 1907 times)
7th1st
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Bayonet Catch Missing
Apr 27th, 2020 at 3:01am
Print Post  
I have a nice Krag bayonet and scabbard but the latch/button is missing like this one: (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix it?  I can't see how one could get that done.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Bayonet Catch Missing
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 4:07am
Print Post  
'7th1st' - I don't believe I have ever seen loose Krag 'Bayonet
Catch' parts available.

There would have to be three parts: catch, spring, and button.

The button must screw onto a threaded-shaft, that is part of the catch, (like a 'nut'). Once assembled, it is likely the end of the shaft was 'peened' and finished to blend in with the button.

Possibly, the catch mechanism does not easily come apart without marring or damaging the components.

Potential source for parts, (if loose ones cannot be found): a ruined Krag bayonet.

Maybe Swiss Schmidt-Rubin or K-31 bayonet parts, if available, could be fitted to work.
(The Krag bayonet was copied from the Swiss bayonet. Swiss bayonets are so expensive now, this is a silly idea).

IMHO - As much as I like to salvage things, you would be well advised to cut your loses and buy a better Krag bayonet.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2020 at 5:23am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

7th1st
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Bayonet Catch Missing
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2020 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Thanks for the advice. It is probably for the best to forget about it.  Too bad though...it is a nice bayonet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint