Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Target Shooting Sight Micrometers (Read 4662 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Target Shooting Sight Micrometers
Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Whelen's text regarding sight-micrometers:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2020 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Whelen pointed out a further advantage of sight-micrometers.

He also gave Dr. Hudson's volatile recipe for dirty soldiers, like Culpeper, who 'blacken' their sights.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #17 - May 1st, 2020 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Here is a source for Suggestions to Military Riflemen and other classics

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2020 at 12:29pm by Culpeper »  

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

HeyJoe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - May 1st, 2020 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
O'Hare also offered parts to add to '03 windage adjustment screw and wheel that give 1 MOA detent clicks.  Cost was $2.00.  That would be nice to have

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #19 - May 2nd, 2020 at 5:47am
Print Post  
I saw this over on CMP.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - May 2nd, 2020 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on Apr 30th, 2020 at 8:12pm:
There ya go confusin' everyone with facts!   Fer Shame.  naughty naughty.

It was the other guy!  Really!  HE needed to blacken my rifle.  Not I needed to blacken my rifle.  Well , I just had to let him do it for me since I was an innocent and pure and modest first time CP shooter.  And... And..

Anyone buying this?   > crickets chirping <  Hello?  Anybody there?

Roll Eyes  Cheesy

The "Other Guy" just ordered a fresh can of Calcium Carbide. Just about ran out from being asked by other vintage shooters to blacken their sights on their vintage rifles.

Helping target shooters new and old for 50 years! Our junior shooters firing fancy scoped AR15's tell me my shooting kit is a Vintage Collectible. Ya that's a younger me at Camp Perry in 1974.

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - May 2nd, 2020 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on May 2nd, 2020 at 5:47am:
I saw this over on CMP.

I guess the days of picking them out of the Miscellaneous junk box at a gun show for $5 are over Sad

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #22 - May 2nd, 2020 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Cat Man wrote on May 2nd, 2020 at 2:18pm:
The "Other Guy" just ordered a fresh can of Calcium Carbide. Just about ran out from being asked by other vintage shooters to blacken their sights on their vintage rifles.

Helping target shooters new and old for 50 years! Our junior shooters firing fancy scoped AR15's tell me my shooting kit is a Vintage Collectible. Ya that's a younger me at Camp Perry in 1974.

Hey, hey, hey!  I wasn't naming names here.  You should have said something I have a whole can of calcium carbide from Lehmans just waiting to be put in water.  However being stuck in Africa for next couple of months precludes me from using any of it. 

And in case I didn't say it too often or at all thank you for helping out a new guy at Camp Perry.

Yeah.  I agree about cheap things.  Everybody, thanks to the internet, is chasing after finite resources of which shooting items are part.

So is there any way to make a D2 street legal?  I want to get a used one for grocery shopping.  Just short trips back on forth.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - May 2nd, 2020 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
My parents were from a Northern Michigan Mining Town. My Grand-fathers were Copper Miners.

Although, Battery Lamps had been in use since the 1930's, the local hardware stores in the Keweenaw Peninsula still had old inventory Miner's Lamps into the 1960's.

I've had this stuff for a long time.

My 'Grampa' showed me how to check the 'drip' from the top water tank and clean the 'jet' with a wire. Once assembled with carbide in the bottom tank and the water valve 'ON', you could smell the acetylene gas start.

Cup your hand over the reflector and trap some gas. Quickly swipe the meaty part of your palm across the 'flint-wheel' and 'POP' .... blinding light! Regulate the flame with the water flow valve.

BTW - If you don't use one of these every day, the working parts get very corroded from the caustic slurry in the bottom tank. It is easy to understand why they went out of fashion in 'shooting kits'.
If you want to buy a used one, take off the bottom tank and check the rubber-seal, function of the valve-parts, check for tank cracks and corrosion.

The lamp soot is the ultimate sight-blacking!
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2020 at 3:58am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint