Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
I blame Whig! (Read 821 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

I blame Whig!
May 6th, 2020 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
A while back, I bought a scoped 1903 sporter, cheap. My intention was to put a surplus 1903-A3 barrel and stock on it to make a quasi-Sniper.

I experienced sticker shock, when I began shopping for parts! (I resorted to making do with stuff on hand and made a 'Fantasy Carbine').

I put front & rear sights on the shortened 1903 and slapped it into a cut-down WW-2 Remington stock from my junk box. I called it a 'Bushmaster - Sniper'.

(It did look like the crude "Bushmaster" carbine).

Before I could get it to the Range, 'Whig' posted a thread showing a cute 'Bantam' 1903, he built.

He added "finger-grooves" to a blocky WW-2 stock! It looked GOOD.

Back to the basement. Now, I have a fantasy 1903 carbine, with scope capability ... and finger-grooves.

I had to groove the stock, re-shape the hand-guard & forearm tip, and re-finish the stock. (Dang you Whig).

I took it to the Range yesterday. I used the 'Triangle-Peep' on the 1905 rear-sight.
(I had to set it for 300 yards, for shooting at 50 yards, due to the shorter sight radius).

It grouped a bit better, when I put a scope (set at 3X) on it.
But, for shooting with a scope, the stock really needs a leather cheek-pad for neck support.

The iron sights were the most fun. Recoil was brisk.

I'm still needing a nice 1903 barrel-band and will have to 'pin' the rear-sight collar in place.
(It was just being held by friction and shifted a bit, during the Range session).
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2020 at 9:48pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: I blame Whig!
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
That's  nice. I like short barrels. It would have made a nice scout rifle. And how old is that ammo at that price?  Never thought I'd see gas below $2.00 again....I know ammo at that cost is not coming back.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks.

Hey, GAS is going up! $1.65 today .... Last week it was $1.29 and I ran out of "containers".

(That box of .30-06 ammo was probably bought On-Sale, 15-20 years ago).

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2020 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Thanks! I have big shoulders!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint