Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Range Outing for 1896 carbine wanna be (Read 908 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Range Outing for 1896 carbine wanna be
May 6th, 2020 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Yesterday, I tried out the present rendering of my 'cut-down' 1896 rifle. 
This is the first Range test, since re-shaping its stock, (made by altering a cut-down model 1898 rifle stock).

Now it is more of a model 1896 carbine configuration, with an 1896 (rifle) sight, salvaged hand-guard and '96 carbine barrel-band.

(The 1st attempt looked a bit 'clunky' with an improvised barrel-band and no hand-guard. It shot well, but, I craved more of a slender carbine appearance).

Shooting at 50 yards distance, the taller height of the 1903 front-sight, required the 1896 sight be set for 400 yards.

'Kentucky' windage was utilized, since the 1896 sight has no provision for 'dialing-in' windage. A more prominent 'Bull' would have aided sighting.

Next outing, I am going to try shooting the 'carbine' with a Redfield 102-K 'no-drill peep', held on with just a long side-plate screw. (This will allow a better sight picture and windage correction).

This is a pleasant little rifle to shoot.

(Maybe I should get a 'Pick-Up' with a rack to house my Bubba 'Truck Guns')!
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2020 at 3:20pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

S99VG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Range Outing for 1896 carbine wanna be
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2020 at 4:07am
Print Post  
Nice but I wouldn't call that a "wanna be carbine."  I'd call it the classic american deer rifle.  Many a hunter who couldn't afford a Model 30 Remington, Savage 1920 and Model 54 Winchester got the job done with a rifle just like that.  And in some ways, I think those guns hold a more honored position in history too.  Just my 2 cents which is worth about a penny these days.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint