Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 The Well Dressed Krag Target Shooter (Read 5224 times)
Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

The Well Dressed Krag Target Shooter
May 11th, 2020 at 1:03am
Print Post  
From the cover of the old weekly Shooting and Fishing in 1903. The well dressed Krag shooter leaving the firing line with Silver trophy and trusty Krag rifle in hand. Probably a veteran by his campaign hat. The spent cartridges on the ground indicate he has just completed firing. Perhaps the next Krag team match at Camp Perry, we could all sport  bow ties, vests and pocket watch chains.

Wouldn't that be "spiffy".

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: The Well Dressed Krag Target Shooter
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2020 at 4:31am
Print Post  
Is there a site where I can down load that issue?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2020 at 4:38am
Print Post  
Nicely polished shoes, too!

I wonder if the illustrated competitor is Dr. Walter Guy Hudson?

Most notable U.S. shooting site in early 1900's was Sea Girt, N.J. (The first U.S. National Matches were held there in 1903).

I don't recognize the trophy. It is not the Wimbledon Cup or the Leech Cup.

Label on the magazine is interesting ...  Harry M. Pope?

A 1905 photo taken in the Club House at Sea Girt may show the illustrated trophy (circled) next to the Leech Cup. (The recent caption under the picture says the trophy is currently 'unidentified').

It would be fun to read that copy of "Shooting and Fishing". It might ID the trophy and recipient.

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2020 at 4:31pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2020 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
A link to some 'NRA - Shooting Sports USA' articles on early trophies.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2020 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
It would be fun to know if Cat Man's "Well Dress Shooter" is an artist's generic competitor or a rendering of a real trophy winner?

The man in the drawing appears to have a United Spanish War Veterans 'pin' on his lapel.
The unidentified trophy he is holding, appears to have existed back in the period.
The caricature bears a vague resemblance to Dr. Walter Guy Hudson. (I don't know if W.G. Hudson was a Veteran. He was in the N.J.N.G.).

'Inquiring Minds' want to know!

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2020 at 12:16am
Print Post  
I was hoping someone would be sharp eyed enough to take the bait. Yes the mailing label is addressed to the late great Harry Pope.

Some years ago at a antique flea market I happened onto a fellow who was selling various stacks of vintage paper magazines. There was a stack of these old Shooting magazines from the turn of the last century in the 1901 to 1904 range. They looked really interesting with lots of cool shooting ads and Krag articles. It was then I noticed the mailing label was Harry Pope. Needless to say I negotiated a very fair price to buy the entire lot. Several years worth and the seller had no idea who Harry Pope was.

As I looked through them I found that Pope was very good at making notes in the margins. It takes some deciphering to make out his pencil scrawled notes but it seems he was quite a keen observer and did not mix words when he thought something in print was BS. His hand written comments about the Stevens Pope barrels and the dust up with the British team is quite interesting.

If our fellow Krag collectors would care to see some of the vintage articles and Popes notes I can share some of the more interesting  issues.

Cat Man

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2020 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on May 11th, 2020 at 4:31am:

Steve, Tell me what you want to see from that issue and I can scan it and share

Cat Man

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2020 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Unfortunately, there are no pictures. But here is some Michigan competition fodder from 1903.  Smiley

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2020 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Cat Man wrote on May 15th, 2020 at 12:19am:
Culpeper wrote on May 11th, 2020 at 4:31am:

Steve, Tell me what you want to see from that issue and I can scan it and share

Cat Man

I'd like to read the article on the 6mm lee rifle.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2020 at 7:41am by Culpeper »  

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2020 at 8:51am
Print Post  
'Cat Man' - Great story about snagging Harry M. Pope's gun magazines.

I saw the label with the name & address and knew it was beyond coincidence.
I didn't realize that you actually possess the magazine!

Can you look and see if it contains an article, report, or story explaining the dapper shooter's ID and the name of the Match Trophy?

Kaa...nute! - Thanks for the link to The Michigan Adjutant-General's (2 year) Report, from 09/30/02 to 09/30/04. Lots of interesting stuff in there and great read, for me.

I didn't know the Mich.N.G. sent a team to Sea Girt in 1903, and Ft. Riley, Kansas, in 1904, (the first two National Matches). The Michigan team did not do well.

Amusing orders in the report instruct the Mich. Team to take Krag-Jorgensen rifles to the 1903 Sea Girt National Matches. (It would have been interesting if they used Remington-Lee rifles).

This period is an interesting transitional time. My paternal Grandfather and my Mom's Uncle were in the 3rd Regiment, Co. E, from Calumet. (That company gets rave reviews in all the Inspector Reports).

The Adj.G.'s report is especially full of details on uniform changes, annual encampments, and trivia on the State's switch from Remington-Lee rifles to Krag-Jorgensen rifles.

Attached photo is from 1901 or 1902 Manistee, Michigan, Annual Encampment. "Uncle Ben" is first man kneeling on the left. Sergeants have Krags (from first 500, as mentioned in Report) rank & file have Remington-Lee.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2020 at 3:09pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2020 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Knute1 wrote on May 15th, 2020 at 2:51am:
Unfortunately, there are no pictures. But here is some Michigan competition fodder from 1903.  Smiley

Very Interesting!!!  It mentions that the competition for the selection of the Michigan team to the National Matches were to be held at Island Lake.  Island Lake Range still exists, and is where I usually go for practice and to work out new loads.  Chuck and I have met there and shot together!  It's now part of the Kensington Metro Park complex just east of Brighton and north east of Metropolitan Detroit.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2020 at 11:53am
Print Post  
For the Michigan fans:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2020 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
FWIW - I believe, this trophy displayed at Sea Girt in 1905, was the "DuPont Cup".
Not to be confused with The DuPont ('Archer-Figure') Trophy awarded, since the 1920's.

The DuPont Cup was won by a Marine Corps Team in the 'skirmish team match' of the 1905 - National Matches.

If I got this right, it was the third time the trophy was won by a Marine Corps Team, so it was permanently awarded to the USMC and ceased to be competed for as a prize.

(I wonder where is it now)?

The DuPont Cup appears on page 64 of the 1905 report of match results. (Knute provided the Link).

Maybe Cat Man's "Shooting and Fishing" Cover Guy & Trophy is just an artistic generic thing.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #13 - May 17th, 2020 at 11:13am
Print Post  
I found that issue on line.  Sadly it was not an article of the Win Lee but a request for information regarding its use as a hunting rifle.

Also the first appearance of the Well Dressed Krag Shooter was the Jan 1905 issue.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2020 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
It would be fun to know if a 6mm USN Winchester-Lee was put to the test in a shooting match at Sea Girt.

Culpeper - Thanks for finding and sharing "Shooting & Fishing" copy.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2020 at 3:48pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint