Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Quite a Price for a Nice Condition Krag Bayonet (Read 4051 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Quite a Price for a Nice Condition Krag Bayonet
May 11th, 2020 at 1:18am
Print Post  
This seller always has the most superb condition firearms and accoutrements I have seen. Everything is superb, mint, often with original box and papers. These things must have been collected years ago and just stashed away somewhere.

Nice bayonet but I would never pay anything close to that price! There were about a dozen different bidders over $200.

I have a few Krag bayonets but don't know much about them. Not really a collector, they just enhance my Krag rifle and carbine collection.

Are 1899 Krag bayonets more rare to justify this price? Or is it just condition?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Quite a Price for a Nice Condition Krag Bayonet
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2020 at 5:04am
Print Post  
Crazy bidding war and things got out of hand.
No, the bayonet isn't worth more because of the date. However it IS a nice bayonet and in my opinion $250.00 to $300.00 would be tops if the scabbard had all of the bluing.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2020 at 8:53am
Print Post  
I was close, Fred. I was thinking $200-250!

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2020 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Good lord!

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2020 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Whig wrote on May 11th, 2020 at 8:53am:
I was close, Fred. I was thinking $200-250!

I got caught up and increased the estimate! Cheesy

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2020 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
If you really want the nice stuff money is no stumblling block to that end.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2020 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Oh no the bar has been raised...better buy those Krag bayonets now before the big jump in price!

I agree...way over valued!

Wonder what the big draw was...Maybe President McKinley used it to dig potatoes out of the White House garden?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2020 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
For some of us, a lot of the fun in 'collecting' is finding something good and interesting for not a lot of money.

It is part of the challenge.

Having some knowledge, being lucky, or observant, has occasionally allowed us to find a gem missed by others.

It is not about money. (God knows, the dollar is never what it use to be). It is the HUNT and ADVENTURE that makes things fun.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2020 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on May 11th, 2020 at 4:21pm:
For some of us, a lot of the fun in 'collecting' is finding something good and interesting for not a lot of money.

It is part of the challenge.

Having some knowledge, being lucky, or observant, has occasionally allowed us to find a gem missed by others.

It is not about money. (God knows, the dollar is never what it use to be). It is the HUNT and ADVENTURE that makes things fun.

Hear, hear, amen!!

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2020 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Well I think part of collecting IS about the money.

As BR said "For some of us, a lot of the fun in 'collecting' is finding something good and interesting for not a lot of money".

I'm more inclined to purchase something I can afford.

Outside of the pleasures that we enjoy with our hobby I would say that it's nice to see our investments increase in value.

I'm sure many of us have Krags purchased long ago for a few dollars that have increased many times the original purchase price.

In fact...If I had tons of money I would have tons of Krags, bullets and accessories!!! Cheesy

Oh yes...and bayonets!
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2020 at 1:11am by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2020 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
I love it!

Tons of Krags!!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2020 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
When stuff gets too valuable, it gets hoarded .... put in the back of the 'gun-safe' and not played with. "Look what I Have" !!! (Maybe, the nice stuff gets occasionally shown off).

Having 'safe queens' is not so much fun for me. I'm not writing a book or building a museum. I tend to like, what I enjoy using or restoring.

My house is cluttered with too much assorted crap, (acquired and inherited). My stuff is important to me.

Someday, I will die. My kids would like only a few items that I possess. They will hate me, if I don't make it manageable for them. I try to give them things, now, and share experiences with them.

Stuff may help elicit good memories, historical interests and images, or past adventures. Unless you're selling or buying something, its 'cash value' is kind of off the subject.

The question I most dislike on gun forums is: "What is it worth"?
Ultimately, it's all in our heads.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 11th, 2020 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
It seems that in the heads of some of the bidders that over 600 dollars is an acceptable price for a Krag bayonet that started this discussion.

Why many comments have been made on this forum concerning the cost of purchasing a Krag rifle/carbine or replacement parts depending on the subject of the topic.

We've also made recommendations to individuals to "not mess with their Krag because it will diminish it's collector value."

BTW: Have you watched the show 'Hoarders?'...Very few times is the thing hoarded of what we would consider valuable.  Most of the time it's garbage and rat turds.  The individuals who are considered hoarders have usually had some traumatic event in their lives...like as a child my father sold the family Krag and now I have to buy more Krags as an adult because of the trauma I've experienced. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - May 11th, 2020 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
I would give anything (short of my soul) to be able to collect... however, financially it's just not possible for me.  I have only a couple Krags - my WW1 Vet (which was given to me) and my sporter.  I have a Garand, a 1903A3, a Type 99 Arisaka, a K31, and the SMLE that my Dad purchased for me in February.  I shoot everything that I have.  I'll inherit my Dad's 1873 Carbine and his 1873 Bannerman Trapdoor rifle when Dad passes.  If anything happens to me... it all goes to my son.  I'd LOVE to get another Krag so I can use it for Matches and retire my WW1 Krag (it's getting a little beat up)... but since I'm not swimming in cash, I'll have to just settle for the way things are for the time being.

When I hear guys talk about going to the CMP and buying 10 Garands a year... and I can't afford to buy one... it just breaks my heart, especially with the way prices keep going up on this stuff!  Anyway, I hope one day I'll fall into a windfall and things will be different.  Until then... it'll have to continue to be hope!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - May 12th, 2020 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Paul,

Just thought I'd let you know that the discussions we have had on these posts with your experiences with your two krags has taught me more about the passion that you have, and I now share, for Krags than anything else!

This is the main reason I started posting here, the ONLY place I regularly check and post about anything (!) because of you and a few others who taught me a ton about Krags. I have spent many hundreds of hours over the past few years studying, researching and collecting because it is a passion I have and have had all my life for antiques and firearms. I shoot as much as I can and love cleaning and fixing and reloading for all of my firearms.

But, the passion for collecting Krags is from you and a few others here.

So, you don't need a cache of firearms to find the kind of joy you have found. You get more out of what you have than most others out of many more.

Thanks a ton!

(I hope you can get many more in the future too!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint