Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Question on powder (Read 4694 times)
King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Question on powder
May 13th, 2020 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Hello to the forum. I am having a hard time finding powder for reloading. My L.G.S. offered me a 5lb. unopened can of Hercules 2400 powder. I know it is older production but it has been stored in a temperature stable environment. Any ideas on its age. Also I know the sniff test for bad powder. Is there anything else I can check to see if it is still good? I would like to use it for cast reloads in my Krag and Springfield 03.
    Thanks in advance, KC

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Question on powder
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2020 at 4:04am
Print Post  
Hercules became Alliant Powder in 1995 so it is at least 25 yrs old.  Is there a date on the can?  I have a 5lb plastic  jug of Alliant Unique someone gave me already opened quite a while ago I'm still using that is production dated Jun 29 1995 and appears to be still good.   I would think an unopened can stored properly would be good for quite a bit longer than that. But Hercules and 2400 had been around a long time before 1995 so it could be a lot older than that.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2020 at 5:04am
Print Post  
Thanks: I could not find a date on the can. It seems to be in good shape, no rust or dents.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2020 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Interesting that it's referred to as a 'rifle powder".  Today's description is magnum pistol and .410.  Although it was originally developed for the 22 Hornet.  Per Alliant. 
The date would have been hidden in the batch code I suspect.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2020 at 10:54am
Print Post  
If it passes your visual inspection and sniff test, you could try it out and see how it works. I'd suspect, considering the above, it might be just fine.

But, I don't think I'd depend on it for accuracy unless you test it out and see how it works for reliability and consistency.

Depending on how it was stored, what's on the bottom may perform differently than what's on top! Might want to roll it around and mix it some after initial inspection.

I've used old powder of my brother's from the 1970s without issues!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2020 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
I have not finished up the canister of Unique that my father acquired sometime before 1965. I earlier asked if anyone else was using a powder that old or older. If I remember correctly no one else admitted it.
The Unique was originally in a paper and cardboard canister, it wasn't till about 20 years ago that I transferred it to a mason jar. Still using it for light loads in my 45s for snake shot and with some plated hollow points for varmints.
If your 2400 was not stored in direct sun and under reasonable temperatures it should be alright. Your metal container will be reasonably air tight, my paper canister was not. I made the mistake of using the 2400 for some higher pressure loads in a 30-06 with 100 and 110 grain bullets. It did make a ring at the point the bullet bases were and actually enlarged the chamber at that point. My solution was to set the barrel back .200 inches to get past that ring with the extraction problems. If you use it in your Krag with lighter loads and cast bullets you should not have that problem.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2020 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Fred, That is pretty old but, as you have found, can still work.

I would always recommend keeping powder in its original container, though. Glass is not recommended because the chemicals are a little less stable next to glass and it is more fragile in case something happens. Plus, non-transparent materials do not let U/V light penetrate and affect the chemical structure of the powder. Similar to medications- keep away from heat, light and moisture!

But, that's older than some of the powder I have used successfully!

IP Logged

craigster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2020 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
It's probably OK, only one way to find out.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2020 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
That's the vote of confidence I needed. Ths owner gave me a real good price on it so I will pick it up today. My friend says this powder is also good for .357 and .44 magnum loads. The cabelas by me had about 8 one pound cans of mostly shotgun powder in stock. It seems there is a run on reloading components. The clerk said they might not have any powder for 4 or 5 months thanks to a huge government order and the beer flu. I am glad there are still a couple mom and pop gun stores to shop at by me. Their days seem to be numbered thanks to increasing taxes and laws on them. This is a shame. Thanks again for the help.KC

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2020 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
KC, thanks for the tip about the run on reloading supplies. I'm retiring the end of this month and looking forward to reloading and casting as relaxing hobbies rather than just supplying the other hobby for the past 45 years.  Will have to check a couple gun stores on the way to the cabin this weekend and see what's left. I have a good and varied supply but never know how long the shortage could go for. As with the last hoarding episode I revert to plinking mode for a lot of my shooting to help stretch out supplies.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 13th, 2020 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Good luck with upcoming retirement mavt. I look forward to that someday and lots of reloading and shooting!

One of my favorite places on the internet for powder, primers and bullets is

(You need to Login to view media files and links).

I've bought lots from them in the past. Check them out to see what they still have in stock.

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 13th, 2020 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Whig, Thanks for the site info but the  "ma" in mavt is for Mass and we can't get reloading suppplies delivered here so have to physically search for them.  There is a rather large gun only store in NH I can check on the way to VT. Good thing is NH has no sales tax but even this store requires us to show a Mass FID just to be safe I guess.

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 13th, 2020 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
mavt wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 7:44pm:
Whig, Thanks for the site info but the  "ma" in mavt is for Mass and we can't get reloading suppplies delivered here so have to physically search for them.  There is a rather large gun only store in NH I can check on the way to VT. Good thing is NH has no sales tax but even this store requires us to show a Mass FID just to be safe I guess. 

FWIW, MidwayUSA will ship both ammunition and reloading supplies to MA if you scan and send them a copy of your FID or LTC. I’ve had powder and primers shipped several times. Just have to pay an additional hazmat fee. TargetSportsUSA will ship ammo to MA as well, just need to provide a copy of your license.

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2020 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
That's  good to know as a last resort with the extra cost involved. When this first went into effect a couple of the then smaller sources still shipped and then no one did and I never looked into it again.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2020 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Didn't know those restrictions. We don't have them here in Ohio and I have my own FFL which helps, I guess.

Hazmat fees are a problem if you try to order just a few things. Helps to go in with other people and get a bigger order.

Good luck finding what you need and want!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint