Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Question on powder (Read 4695 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Question on powder
Reply #15 - May 13th, 2020 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
FWIW, I have a thirty year old can of HERCO that my dad had used reloading 12 gauge skeet loads.  It's a cardboard can with metal top and bottom... and I used it for loading some .45 ACP ammo with no problems.  All went bang!

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - May 14th, 2020 at 1:24am
Print Post  
Whig wrote on May 13th, 2020 at 9:33pm:
Didn't know those restrictions. We don't have them here in Ohio and I have my own FFL which helps, I guess.

Hazmat fees are a problem if you try to order just a few things. Helps to go in with other people and get a bigger order.

Good luck finding what you need and want!!

I used to live in Ohio and it was certainly simpler times. I remember the old gun shows and commercial row at Camp Perry back in the 80’s and 90’s. I haven’t been back to CP in years, but hear it is far different than it used to be.

MA has come down so hard on suppliers that most wont sell any reloading supplies regardless of willingness to provide proof of license and referencing online government laws stating it is legal to do so. Graf & Sons refused to sell me some 30-40 brass a few months ago. They did run it by their legal department, but ultimately got back to me and said it wasn’t worth it.

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - May 14th, 2020 at 2:41am
Print Post  
Yes, 30-40 brass is impossible to find around here. The last 100 cases I got  were ordered by a fella from another state that works with my son. I keep a supply of 303's in case it ever gets to that point to convert them.

IP Logged

Olpeddler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - May 14th, 2020 at 1:33pm
Print Post  

Hello from central Massachusetts.  Since early March I and my family have been sheltering in place. and I have not been to my gun club.   As such, I have not spoken to any of my reloading buddies.  On this and other forums I have recently noticed  references to members' inability to purchase various brands and types of powder.  What is causing this?  Did reloaders begin hoarding powder late last year, and/or have powder manufacturers cut back on production, or are there other reasons for the powder shortage?  Thanks for any insight you can provide.

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - May 17th, 2020 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I stopped at Shooters Outpost in Hookset NH yesterday which is a large firearms only shop with a fairly extensive reloading dept and at first glance it didn't look like there is a run on reloading supplies. But they were out of a couple of the more popular powders - Bullseye and Unique and there was one lb. of H4895 left after I got mine.  Also out of CCI and Federal std large rifle primers but there were a couple other options available.

There were 16 in line waiting when the doors opened and I was the only one to go straight to reloading. They still ask for ID to make MA residents show an FID or LTC to purchase reloading supplies and ammo.

Picked up the free Hodgton basic reloading guide that has a powder burn rate comparison chart - there are now 168 powders listed WOW! Do we really need that many options? Many of the new ones show compatible to another in the same company's lineup. Are they actually generating addition sales or just replacing the sale of existing products?

When using a Citibank Mastercard the chip reader doesn't work. They said it is turned off (by Citibank I presume) because they are a gunshop. Has anyone else experienced this? You can use it just have to manually enter it - doesn't make any sense.  Just smoke and mirrors to appease some political group?
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2020 at 8:28pm by mavt »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - May 17th, 2020 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Not being from a Nazi state, yet (Ohio-not happy with Dewine about Covid crap), can you tell me what the FID and LTC licenses are?

Thanks and good luck finding what you need and want!

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - May 17th, 2020 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Whig wrote on May 17th, 2020 at 6:24pm:
Not being from a Nazi state, yet (Ohio-not happy with Dewine about Covid crap), can you tell me what the FID and LTC licenses are?

Thanks and good luck finding what you need and want!

LTC = License to Carry. It allows you to carry concealed firearms and own large capacity (over 10 round) rifles, pistols and shotguns. You must be 21 or older. Magazines that are over 10 rounds must be pre-ban era (before Sep 1994)

FID = Firearm Identification Card. It allows possession of rifles and shotguns that are not large capacity capable. You can apply for an FID at 18 or 15+ with parental approval

Both Licenses require safety training and an interview with local police which ends with photo and full set of fingerprints taken. All non antique firearms (1899+) must be registered with the state.

Any purchase of ammo or reloading supplies (primers, brass, powder or bullets) requires proof of valid license. Purchase of firearm requires online verification. There is still a ban on assault and copycat firearms made after 1994 and you can only buy pistols that are on the “approved roster”. The roster is limited to firearms submitted for testing and approval by meeting certain requirements set forth by the state. You can do a person to person transfer within the state, but are limited to 4 per calendar year.

Simple, right?   Cheesy

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - May 17th, 2020 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Olpeddler wrote on May 14th, 2020 at 1:33pm:
Hello from central Massachusetts.  Since early March I and my family have been sheltering in place. and I have not been to my gun club.   As such, I have not spoken to any of my reloading buddies.  On this and other forums I have recently noticed  references to members' inability to purchase various brands and types of powder.  What is causing this?  Did reloaders begin hoarding powder late last year, and/or have powder manufacturers cut back on production, or are there other reasons for the powder shortage?  Thanks for any insight you can provide.

In one word, hoarding. Think of grocery stores. You don’t call ahead and tell them that you’ll be there in an hour to buy some milk and bread yet they always have it. They have it despite them not knowing that you’re coming and not being able to get it from the farms and bakeries when you show up. They do that by knowing buying patterns and forecasting enough to have on the shelves but not so much that it spoils. This works well as long as the demand is stable and predictable. When there are catastrophic events that disrupt the equilibrium, you run out. Much like toilet paper, people began to panic buy ammunition. When ammunition ran out, many began buying reloading supplies. Eventually people realize they don’t need 2 years worth of toilet paper and things get back to normal. I suspect you’ll begin to see ammunition and reloading supplies returning shortly. Just my thoughts and 2 cents...

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #23 - May 17th, 2020 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Which is why I do not panic buy whether it is food or food prepping equipment, lead, copper, silver, gold, electric dog polishers or whatever.  I made a plan to stock up on items little bit by little bit and stick with it every payday.  Then when times like these show up, and it will only get more frequent, I am sitting pretty on a stock pile or a hoard as some folks are wont to phrase it.

Wink

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - May 17th, 2020 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the explanation Mike.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint