Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Palma Match Target 1901-1903 (Read 1526 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Palma Match Target 1901-1903
May 14th, 2020 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
The Palma Match was initiated by the U.S. NRA in 1876 to commemorate the U.S. Centennial.

The inaugural match was fired at Creedmoor with muzzle-loading target rifles. The match was a team-aggregate affair, fired at 800, 900, and 1,000 yards.

In following years, the match was fired with breech-loading target rifles.
U.S. teams dominated and the match fell into a period of hiatus.

In 1901, with fanfare, Riflemen of the World were invited to compete in a Palma Match to be held at Sea Girt, N.J.

The basic premise was that participating countries, would send an eight man national team. The shooters would be native residents of their country, and use their country's Service Arm in the match.

The Krag rifle was used by a U.S. Team at Palma Matches in 1901 (Sea Girt), 1902 (Rockcliffe Range - Ottawa, Canada), and 1903 (Bisley Range, G.B.).

In 1901, Canada the only 'visiting' team, won.

In 1902, the British Team won at Ottawa.

In 1903, the U.S. Team won at Bisley, but, the outcome was voided, because the U.S. Stevens-Pope barrels did not follow regulation dimensions, rifling pattern & twist. There was no official winner.

BTW - The U.S. aggregate score (total scores of 8 men, firing 15 shots, at three distances - 800, 900, & 1,000 yards) was 1,570 out of possible 1,800 points.

The British Team scored 1,555 points and the Canadian Team scored 1,518 points.

None of the U.S. or British shots failed to hit the 6 foot X 12 foot Palma Target. The British shooters all fired 'prone'. One Canadian and some U.S. shooters apparently used the 'back' position.

The Norwegian Team scored 1,241 points, shooting Long Range Offhand!!!

The Palma Match was not fired again until 1907. When the U.S. Team would use model 1903 Springfield rifles - (Wrong). 
The US Team would use model 1898 Krag rifles at Rockcliffe in 1907, with improved ammo.

Attached is a diagram, I made, based on the description of the Palma Match Target. The same target was used at all three long range distances.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2020 at 8:49pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Palma Match Target 1901-1903
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2020 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Now that's amazing!

" The Norwegian Team scored 1,241 points, shooting Long Range Offhand!!!"

Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2020 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Very interesting information!!!

I find the target info to be of particular interest.  My son and I fired in the Viale and Critchfield Long Range Matches last year at Camp Perry.  Both were fired at 1000 yards!  Each match was 20 rounds fired prone with unlimited sighters, all in a 30 minute time limit.  The target was 6 X 6 foot square, with the bull being 10 inches in diameter, ten ring 20 inches, 9 ring 30 inches, 8 ring 40 inches, 7 ring 50 inches, and anywhere outside of the 7 but still on paper scores a 6.  We used my 1903A3 (Remington, with a 2 groove barrel).  Let me tell you, that target at 1000 yards with iron sights?  Beyond "Painfully Small"!!!  It was like trying to see a postage stamp at 50 feet.  I just aimed between the adjacent targets because my front sight post completely obliterated the target.  I also knew zip about wind doping and other LR sighting tricks.  Still, we had most of our shots ON paper... and I even had a couple Xs.  After that experience, I have a new respect for Palma Match and other LR match shooters!!!

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2020 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Here is some Palma Match info with targets fired at on page 78 from 1907. Click on the right side bar tab and scroll down a page or two:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2020 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
'Knute' - Your last 'link' is a fascinating read on the 1907 Palma Match.
(There are three books bound together, 1905, 1906, and 1907. The 3rd book, pages 53 to 78, shows the 1907 Palma match reports).

(I was mistaken in my above 'target post', saying that 1903 was the final use of the Krag rifle in Palma Match competition).

The U.S. Team used 'regulation' model 1898 Krag rifles in the 1907 Palma Match, held at the Rockcliffe Range, Ottawa, Canada.

The US Team of 12 men qualified by their performance at the 1907 National Matches at Camp Perry. The team was kept intact and the final official 8 man team was selected at Rockcliffe, based on performance during practice matches.

The U.S. ammunition was carefully loaded using a pointed UMC projectile designed by Hudson and (UMC) Thomas.

The British, Canadian, and Australian Teams used Lee-Enfield long rifles, (not SMLE rifles). The British and Australians used special ammo. I'm not sure what the Canadians used.
(The Canadians beat the US by 3 points on the 1,000 yard leg of the match, but, placed 2nd, behind the US Team by 40 some points).

The rules allowed that rifles could be private-made, but, had to follow government pattern.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2020 at 5:45am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint