Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Krag Carbine (Read 5013 times)
Krag 1895 27635
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Carbine
May 15th, 2020 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Please find the attached pictures of my Krag Carbine I purchased yesterday.  The serial number is 27635 and dated 1895.  I believe this was originally a long rifle but later made into a carbine (see barrel proof marks).  However I really don't know.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ordnance bomb is stamped on the barrel with other markings?
The front sight looks not to be military? 
Barrel length from receiver to end is 22"
I believe I am missing the forward hand guard?

Thank you,

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Carbine
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2020 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Howdy... and welcome to the forum!

Nice looking cutdown sporter.  The front sight is an aftermarket banded sight.  This is usually a good indication of a Krag that has been shortened.  The stock has also been shortened and the front band reinstalled.  How does it shoot?

IP Logged

Krag 1895 27635
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2020 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Hey Thanks for this info.  I was afraid of that; haven't shoot it yet.  Any idea of its value as it stands? 

IP Logged

Krag 1895 27635
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2020 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
one additional question; why are there inspection markings on the barrel?   Thanks for your insight!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2020 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
The barrel sounds like it may be a M1903 barrel with the Springfield Ordnance Bomb on it. Is a date on the barrel also?

These barrels were used on Krags at times like the 1905 Springfield banded front sights.

Your bore for this sporterized Krag is probably quite nice. I would expect it to shoot well.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to KCA! We love all Krags here!

IP Logged

Krag 1895 27635
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2020 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
No date on the barrel; but thank you for the info...

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2020 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Holy Smokes!!!

If the serial number is correct, you have a "Model 1896 Carbine Issued To Personnel Of The 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry (Rough Riders) in 1898" according to Mallory's "The Krag Rifle Story" appendix 19.  It was issued to Edw. 8. Arnold (that's how it's listed), Troop G.

It's also listed in appendix 20 as a 96 carbine, 1st USV Cav, dated 062098.

Looks like the company W. Stokes Kirk may have had their way with it.

Many company's at the turn of the century like Stokes and Bannerman purchased military surplus rifles and modified them for resale.

Congrats on purchasing a nice piece of history!!!
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2020 at 7:11pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Krag 1895 27635
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2020 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Good Morning,  That is what I was told; however the front sight and the fact that there is no inspection marking on the stock made me wounder.  The serial number is indeed correct; now that is has been modified; what would you say the worth is?   
Best regards,
Michael

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 17th, 2020 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Michael,

That's a good question. I collect Krags but I would not pay much at all for a sporterized Krag even if it had a documented serial number. They're worth something but hard to sell because whatever history is connected with that Krag, it has been forever altered significantly from the way it was when it was used in battle.

You could "restore" it, as much as possible, to more correct configuration but it will never be original and carries a stigma with it, unless it is restored and sold as original, which happens all the time.

I would say it's worth 50% more than it would be without the documentation.

A sporterized Krag is worth $300-500 so that would possibly put a value on it of $450-750. I'd stay at the lower end for this one.

The real value is in correct AND original military configuration. A nice documented Krag in this condition has value that shoots through the roof, sometimes into the $3,000-5,000 range!

See what others think.

Sporterized Krags are still good shooting firearms!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2020 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Agreed!  Even sporters are GREAT shootin' rifles! 

If it were restored with a Krag carbine barrel (new barrels are available from Criterion, but would require work since they're "In the White" and without a front sight post), carbine stock, and all the bells and whistles... AND you stated that it was restored (not original), you could certainly get decent value, especially because of it's documentation... anyway, more than if it remained in it's present condition.  But you're looking at quite a bit of work too.  Carbine parts are sometimes available, but an original carbine barrel might be a tall order!

My biggest question is why did someone remove the carbine barrel and install a 1903 barrel... and why with (what appears to be) a Stokes Kirk banded sight?  I agree with Local Boy that it may be a Stokes.  They may have gotten a hold of it with a damaged barrel, and (not knowing or caring about the historical provenance) rebuilt it for sales from their catalog.

Anyway... Great find, even if it IS sporterized!

IP Logged

Krag 1895 27635
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2020 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the follow up; dumb question #1 and #2

In order to try and make it "period correct"   What parts of the carbine need to be replaced other then the barrel?

Can I assume the stock should be a "Traditional" carbine stock with out bayonet mount?

Thank you again,

Michael

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2020 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I don't know how much you have in your altered carbine, but if it isn't much, you ought to think about selling it to a collector who knows what parts are needed and has access to them.
They will be expensive.
Properly brought back to original configuration, the carbine will never be worth what it would be if it still had its original parts.
Its basically just a documented 1st US cavalry receiver. Thats something that will net you some profit.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - May 17th, 2020 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
I think this is a real cool rifle I would love to own just as it is. There are so many candidates for restoration out there I wouls leave this as it is.

At last count I may have done as many as 14 rifles and I can say with a high degree of certainty that it is rare that you can return a rifle to military config for less the 650. Do i think it is worth it in the end? For sure, all but one of my 6 rifles was a cutdown. Getting back to the rifle at hand, this is a neat rifle, matches the one in the add. Was the barrel turned down so it will take the bayonet?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - May 17th, 2020 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Offhand, I do not recognize the pictured barrel markings.  (Maybe, made from Winchester model 1917 barrel)?

Where is the "Ordnance Bomb"?

From the 1910's to 1930's, it was a common practice for gun-smiths and surplus dealers to put improvised replacement barrels on Krag actions to make sale-able guns.

Can you post a close-up photo of your rear-sight?

Although your receiver is dated 1895, when first assembled by Springfield, it was regarded as a Model 1896 carbine.

Original model 1896 barrel, stock, hand-guard, rear-sight, barrel-band, and carbine saddle-ring & bar are rare and expensive parts.

The valuable part of your Krag is the 'Rough Rider' numbered receiver, (#27635), that was issued to Trooper Edward Arnold, Co. G, 1st US Volunteer Cavalry.

A somewhat unscrupulous person would be sorely tempted to acquire a 'plain Jane' model 1896 carbine and put your receiver on it to enhance collect-ability and value.

This would tempt many, but, totally violates ethics.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2020 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Your Krag is worth $13.75...less if it doesn't come with a bayonet Cheesy

IMHO:  Your Krag has a history all it's own.  An original unmolested Rough Rider is like the Holy Grail of Krags.  So yours isn't as Holy...but it is a Rough Rider Hybrid!!!  How awesome is that!  Just think of it...someone in the picture below may have held your rifle, or at least part of it.

Lets make a partial parts list if you were to decide to restore it.  Remember, some parts will be hard to find:

Carbine Barrel $200+
1896 Carbine Rear sight $500+
1896 Saddle Ring Carbine Stock (good condition and correct) $450+
1896 Carbine Hand Guard $250+
1896 Carbine Barrel Band $85+
Saddle Bar and Ring $100+

If it were up to me to decide...I would enjoy it as is.

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2020 at 9:39pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint