Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Some museums have bad examples (Read 1946 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Some museums have bad examples
May 18th, 2020 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Looking at several museum sites today for arms connected with Theodore Roosevelt, I noticed several Krag carbines that are very poor examples.

At quick glance they appear nice, but, careful scrutiny reveals them to be outright total 'mix-masters' or at least to have incorrect rifle rear-sights.

I don't want to come across as 'bitchy' or arrogant. It would just be good to identify museum mistakes and in time, maybe through endowments and donations, improve museum collections.

I have not been to the NRA museum in Virginia. They appear to have awesome displays and it is definitely on my list to see it.

Their U.S. model 1899 carbine is a 'mix-master'. (Nice parts, but, wrong).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Some museums have bad examples
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2020 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Ok, so 1899 receiver with a saddle ring stock and an 1896 rear sight.  Mix master!  I guess they just assume that most people viewing it would not know the difference... or they themselves don't know the difference... or don't care. 

I visited the USMC museum at Quantico several years ago.  They had a few Krags.  I'll have to take a look my pictures again and see what they have.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2020 at 12:20am
Print Post  
FWIW - The rear-sight is not seated properly and appears held on with a 'dome-head' screw.

There is no hand-guard, of course, and the short stock and sight-protecting barrel-band flies in the face of what defines a model 1899 carbine.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2020 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Heck... I'm still stuck on the fact that they are representing Roosevelt's Rough Riders with a Carbine that would have been manufactured AFTER the disillusion of the outfit!  LOL

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2020 at 12:36am
Print Post  
I think a lot of museums get donations with stories instead of provenance. It is up to the curator and his staff to verify these items as correct and original. I was in a small VFW mueseum in central Illinois that had many reproduction WW2 items on display. When I inquired about them I was assured they were original pieces brought back by vets. I could see were a Krag rifle would be accepted as stock and original. Especially by someone who is not a member of the KCA!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2020 at 1:59am
Print Post  
This cabine is displayed in the NRA museum and clearly labeled as a "model 1899 carbine", by the NRA curators.

It is a model 1899 carbine receiver & barrel. The stock is just clearly incorrect.

(My apologies, for any confusion; I happened upon the photos of this Krag, while looking for "TR" connected arms.
I did not mean to imply the museum was presenting this Krag as a 'Rough Rider' item or display). 

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2020 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Gotcha.  That makes a little more sense.  Still, as you said, the stock is wrong.  I suspect the rear sight may be only held on by that rear domed screw, and that's why it isn't seated in the front.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2020 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
What is MOST frustrating about this whole issue is the fact that museum staff - in general - are NOT receptive to the great unwashed telling THEM (no matter how gently or politely) that THEY could ever be wrong. Or, they'll smile and say we''ll fix it but years later, they haven't. An educated person is their own best museum.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2020 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Makes you wonder if the person that donated the Krag carbine got a tax deduction of $5,000 for the valuable collectable?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2020 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Only $5,000, Fred!?

I took $10,000!

(Just kidding.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1