Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
 25 Criterion Barrels (Read 10745 times)
S99VG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Criterion Barrels
May 21st, 2020 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I posted on another forum and someone suggested that I ask over here so here goes.  I have been looking for a carbine barrel and determined them very hard to find.  As an alternative, I am considering using a Criterion barrel.  Does anyone have experience with these barrels and, if so, how would you recommend installing the front sight?  Many thanks and I appreciate any help I can get.

PS - I guess an alternative question is should I hold out and keep looking for a carbine barrel?  I have a 1896 carbine that has most everything but the barrel and a few other bits.  Many thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2020 at 3:49pm by S99VG »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Criterion Barrels
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2020 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
There are some people here with experience with the Criterion barrels.

I would hold out for a nice Springfield Armory Krag barrel instead. So many people, unfortunately and against the desire of many true Krag collectors, buy and sell parts from Krag rifles and carbines. They are usually found on ebay and I have seen numerous carbine barrels over the past couple years.

Just my 2c worth.

Good luck. Do you have a correct M1896 carbine rear sight?

IP Logged

S99VG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2020 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks, I appreciate your response.  I have two ways I can go with the sight.  I have a 1901 carbine sight that is missing the slide assembly.  Obviously I would have to find the slide.  I also have enough parts to build up a 1902 carbine sight which I may end up using as I have a correct reproduction hand guard.  My stock is the later replacement stock and not the original short forearm saddle bar stock.  However the 1902 sight does sound interesting.  I just joined the forum and will probably become a paying member and after that post a WTB in the classifieds as finding an original barrel would be great.  Thanks again

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2020 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Is your serial number in the range of known model 1896 carbines? (That can make a difference in recommended actions).

If your action was from a model 1896 rifle and you seek to assemble a nice replica carbine for shooting, that opens possibilities.

Quite a few 'cut-down' barrels show up on ebay, that have been taken off of 'sportered' Krags. They often seem to have nice bores and sell for reasonable prices.

Such a barrel can be cut to 22  inches, re-crowned, and have a S&S Firearms replica front sight put on it.
(You would need access to someone, who can perform the work).

This is likely the least expensive route to go. Unless you refinish the action, everything is 'Parts' and reversible.

FWIW - I really like shooting at 50 and 100 yards with the 1902 rear-sight.
Also, a 1901 rifle slide will work on a 1901 carbine leaf.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2020 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
This is an example of barrels sold on ebay.

Certainly an option in addition to above mentioned options.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2020 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Ouch! That's overpriced.

I was suggesting salvaging a 'cut-down' barrel with a good bore, often available for around $100 or less.

IP Logged

S99VG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2020 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
My carbine is a "put together" project from parts I've had lying around for some time now.  The receiver is what I would call in excellent condition but I don't know if it originated from a carbine or a rifle or was ever used at all.  My hunch is it came from a rifle.  All I really need to finish the project is a barrel and barrel band.  I probably also have some work to do on my sights to make the the 01 or 02 usable.  Which all gets back to my question about Criterion barrels, or any barrel that would need the front sight installed.  How do you do it?  Or maybe better yet, is there someone I could send it to?  Thanks again guys, I appreciate your help!   

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2020 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Oh, yea, that barrel is real high! I wouldn't pay that for it. Re-blued and no front blade, also.

CMP's custom shop still lists that they work on Krags:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2020 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
I guess it depends on if you're looking for a shooter or a museum piece.  If you're assembling it to shoot and enjoy, then Criterion is the way to go!  Their quality is spot on!  They do take a bit of work to install - they need to be finish reamed and have the front sight post brazed on... but it will be dovetailed for the sight post and drilled for the rear sight.  There have been a few guys here that had them installed, and I've heard no complaints!  FWIW, the CMP gunsmiths can and will do the work... but you will have to wait in line for their services.

Now, if you're building this to create a wall hanger, then an original barrel may be the ticket!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2020 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
S99-

Could you post some pictures of what you have to work with? We're all just "shooting in the dark" with opinions and recommendations without full awareness of what you want or need based on where you are starting with this project.

A sporterized Krag, with a cut down or replaced barrel and other modifications from original military configuration, is usually valued from $300-500, based on some criteria.

So, it is not really worth sinking big bucks into re-doing pieces into something that will not be worth that much as a finished product. A valuable M1896 carbine, for example, will wear a correct M1896 rear sight which is essentially unobtainable. If you see one, chances are it will cost north of $600.

Sporeteized Krags, though, can be fun to own, collect and shoot! They can still be very accurate.

So, post some pictures and quit teasing us!!

We will help as much as we can, though. We love to see Krags reborn and fixed up in any form.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2020 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
It takes some gun-smith skills and equipment to fit a Criterion barrel to a Krag action.

The Criterion Chamber requires finish reaming (for head-space) and proper 'timing' of threads, so that the factory 'extractor notch', rear-sight holes and 'flat' for front-sight base end up in correct orientation.

You have to provide a front-sight base to be fitted and brazed or silver-soldered on the barrel 'flat'.

Criterion barrels come drilled and taped with rear sight holes. They use a different thread. Original Krag rear-sight screws won't work.

It is likely the CMP has a lengthy wait time.

A replica front-sight installation will look something like the attached photo.

Hopefully, somebody responds that has direct experience with a Criterion barrel Krag installation.

IP Logged

S99VG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2020 at 12:46am
Print Post  
I’ll post pictures when I get home.  I’m new here and will have to figure out how that works on this forum

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2020 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Thanks.

If you need help let us know.

IP Logged

S99VG
KCA Forum Member