Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 My Krag is ready for the range (Read 2208 times)
Cadcord
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

My Krag is ready for the range
May 23rd, 2020 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
I am new to this Krag Association and since I have this carbine I thought I would share it here. This is my 1st one and I am excited about taking it to the range this weekend. Associations like this one are really great and important. I will post photos of the experience with it at the range. Smiley Happy Memorial Weekend!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My Krag is ready for the range
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2020 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
'Cadcord' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Of course we want to know more about you, your model 1896 carbine, and how it performs at the Range?

That modified 1898 rear-sight looks peculiar on your model 1896 carbine with its sight-protecting barrel-band. But, there's lots to be said for having adjustable windage!

Oh ... got to go reload for my Range Outing.

Watch your 'social distancing'.

(Is that sight-base 1898 carbine or 1902 carbine? Both are rare sights and the converted eye-piece is rare).
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2020 at 1:56pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

S99VG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2020 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Nice and happy Memorial Day to you too!

IP Logged

Cadcord
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2020 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
The site base appears to be an 1898. Serial number is 77679. I took this carbine with my 1903 Springfield, M1917 Remington and M1 Garand to the range, and wow. I love how smooth the action is. I had never shot one before, and it very forgiving for a guy that is not the best shot..lol Amazing carbine, time to get a rifle next, I am hooked! Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2020 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
We have a common understanding amongst many of us Krag lovers here at KCA- Krags have a tendency to multiply. It becomes addicting to buy and shoot your Krag.

Your carbine is a great one to start with. Many people have a Krag rifle for years before even seeing a carbine. So, you are ahead of the game.

It is wonderful to work the action and shoot the Krag. They can be very accurate, quite surprising for a 120 year old firearm.

Keep us informed and welcome to the addicting world of Krag!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2020 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I'm a Krag 'Sight Junkie' and your pictured rear sight is a bit of a riddle. It is a combination that should not really exist.

The right knob appears to be an S&S Firearms replica.

The base appears to be a real model 1898 carbine-sight base.
The elevation slide may be correct, (with no plunger hole on left side).

I believe the leaf is a rifle leaf with a faked "C", added. (The blurry "C" is not quite in the correct location. The three notches appear off-set slightly to the right).

Springfield Armory salvaged the 1898 rifle leaf by adding serrations on the left edge and rounding the corners of the eye-piece, to eliminate the outside notches.
The altered leaf was put on a 1902 base to make a variation of the 1902 sight.

I believe 1898 (rifle and carbine) sight-bases ultimately became scrap.
Some were used on the surplus parts market to make non-official arms and 'mix-master' sights. (Bannerman, Stokes-Kirk, S&S Firearms).

The 1898 'three-notch' carbine rear sight is pretty rare. (The notches on the carbine eye-piece are centered).
The carbine leaf, like the rifle version, was probably salvaged to make some 1902 sights.

An example of an 1898 (correct carbine?) eye-piece, that was later 'altered' by rounding the corners, is listed on Grandpa's Gunparts. It is rather expensive.

I wonder if Cadcord's unusual rear sight was possibly put together by S&S Firearms as a "replica"?

Attached altered photo highlighting notch 'off-set' and approximate correct "C" location.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2020 at 6:43pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Cadcord
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2020 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
I am not really a collector of Krags, but I am now. As far as the sight it works great. I am sure it is probably is a fake based on reading through all the information on this site. But as far as a wonderful carbine, I love this carbine, we will be having a lot of good times together! Smiley Happy you all are here to give information about it! Thank You!!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2020 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
I am not being critical or trying to find fault. I just love a good puzzle!

IP Logged

Cadcord
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2020 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
This site part is on ebay. Is this a correct one or a fake? I notice too that we have rounded and square.. Very interesting. I wonder why these Springfield Krags have so many variations especially with the rear sight. Why reproductions exist? My thoughts are this rifle was not used in ww2 or ww1, melted all the parts for the war efforts?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 26th, 2020 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
'Movieman630' is 'Grandpa's Gunparts'.

He is the grand-son of the late Joe DeChristopher.

Joe was a noted, highly knowledgeable, and ethical dealer in original U.S. military gun parts. He knew his stuff!

The grandson seems to be carrying on the tradition and is a pleasure to do business with.

(That particular 'eye-piece' is a bit of a head scratcher for me. IMHO - There is something that looks odd about the shape of the "C").

It is a fact that the 1898 rifle sight-leaf was recycled by rounding the eye-piece corners and adding serrations to the left side of the leaf. These 'altered tops' were put on model 1902 bases and became an "official" 1902 sight variation.

(The model 1898 rifle and carbine bases are believed to have eventually been auctioned off as scrap. They were 'ramped' for a different cartridge and used a different type of spring).

I do not know if the model 1898 carbine sight-leaf was recycled to build 1902 sights, like the rifle ones.

The eye-piece of the 1898 carbine sight was stamped with a "C".
The three sight notches were not 'off-set' to the right, like on the rifle version.

(BTW - With the 1902 carbine sight, only about 1,000 were made. The base was marked with a "C", but, not the 'eye-piece'. 1902 rifle and carbine sights use the same leaf).

Attached:
1. a complete 1898 rifle-sight and a rifle-leaf with a fake "C".
2. a model 1898 rifle-leaf 'altered' for legitimate 1902 rifle-sight variation.

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2020 at 6:45pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 26th, 2020 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
I don't want to piss anyone off.

You judge - are notches off-set or not?

The 1898 "Dickson" carbine sight did not off-set notches for 'bullet-drift'. The 22" carbine barrel was found not to show the same degree of drift experienced with the 30" rifle barrel.

(Funny thing, FWIW - Rotational bullet drift is to the Right.
Krag 30" rifles, possibly from vibrations due to asymmetrical lock-up, had their bullets veering to the Left, upon leaving the muzzle, reaching an extreme at about 800 yards, IIRC.
The bullet path remained to the Left of point of aim, until about 1,100 yards, when rotational drift brought rifle bullet back to line of sight. Carbine 22" barrels did not manifest the same extreme behavior so sight notches were not off-set.
The Dickson rifle sight-notches, being positioned to the Right, appear to have been intended to correct bullet going Left, rather than 'rotation drift' to the Right).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2020 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
IMHO - An example of a complete and real Dickson, model 1898, carbine sight.

IP Logged

Cadcord
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2020 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers, Thank you so much for this amazing information! These carbines and rifles sights can be really really interesting! Smiley
Thank you so much!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint