Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
'Faux 1896 carbine' next outing (Read 956 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

'Faux 1896 carbine' next outing
May 24th, 2020 at 1:54am
Print Post  
Loaded up some 180 grain RN and 168 grain Spitzer rounds today for the next range session with my model 1896 parts carbine.

Last time out was my début with the model 1896 rear-sight.

This faux carbine's 1903 front-sight is taller than a Krag sight and the present blade favors the right side of the 'fixed-base'

I had to set the rear-sight slide to 400 yards and aim two inches to the right of the Bull to center my group at 50 yards.

I have a spare Redfield 102-K 'peep' sight, put together from accumulated parts.
I found that it mounts solidly just using the lengthened side-plate screw (and dispensing with the sheet-metal 'claw', that requires removal of the Magazine Cut-Off Lever).

This gives me a nice range of adjustments and a view with no distraction from the lowered model 1896 sight.

We'll see how things work out in the next few days.

IMO - The 'peep-sight' doesn't look too out of place and seems secure.

With simplified mounting, it can be taken off by removing one screw and allows keeping the 'Cut-Off' in place and functioning.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2020 at 6:05am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 'Faux 1896 carbine' next outing
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2020 at 5:25am
Print Post  
A nice hot 90 degree Range Session, this afternoon.

I tried out two loads using 168 grain Sierra Match-Kings and 180 grain RN Sierra Pro-Hunter projectiles.
Both loads used once fired W-W Brass (neck-sized) with 42 grains of WW-760 ball powder and RWS primers.

I fired several 5-shot groups through my Faux 1896 carbine at 50 yards from the bench.

I installed a Redfield 102-K 'no-drill peep', held on with one screw, for the occasion.
Because the hot day called for light clothing, I strapped a Pachmayr leather butt-pad on the stock.

The 'little beastie' showed a preference for the 168 grain Match-Kings, which printed a nice group to point of aim.

The group with the 180 grain RN opened up and printed a bit higher.
I don't think that WW-760 is an optimal powder for these projectiles. Next outing, I think I will try H-4895.

For comparison, I fired 4 rounds of old Remington "Kleanbore" (180 grain) RN-soft points.
The four shots made a 3/4 inch group, but, up in the backer six inches above the point of aim ... go figure!

Comments: This is a fun little rig to shoot. The 102-K 'peep' stayed tight with one screw. It did tip forward a bit, possibly altering elevation slightly.
I need to anchor it better and use a smaller aperture.

The 1903 front-sight has a 'sheard' blade with a bead. It may be nice for Hunting, but, it's not conducive to a consistent sight picture with a 'Bull'.

(Although, I did not use the model 1896 rear-sight today, I noticed after every couple of shots, the locked Slide would move forward, up the inclined ramp).
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2020 at 2:46pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 'Faux 1896 carbine' next outing
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2020 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Too late smart!

The other day while shooting, I was having an unusual problem 'centering' consistently on the peep-sight 'hole'.

Duh ... I was wearing 1X Readers.

I think this resulted in the 'peep' being magnified and in clear focus, instead of my eye just being naturally drawn to the bright center of the aperture.

Next outing, I will just use uncorrected shooting glasses.

(The 'weak' Readers may help focus with open sights, but, give unwanted clarity on the close aperture eye-piece, when a person is far sighted).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint