Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Larry Koller's Krag (Read 906 times)
mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Larry Koller's Krag
May 24th, 2020 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
In the thread about looking for a home for a set of 250 Savage dies I mentioned Larry Koller in his classic "Shots at Whitetails" was a proponent of the 250-3000 for deer hunting. But long before and after using that cartridge his favorite was the 30-40 shot from the Krag sporter he built when he was 19 and hunted with until his death in 1967 at 54.

For those familiar with Koller's book which was first published in 1948 this is old news. But for those not familiar with it there were additional versions that came along in 1970 and 1975 initiated by his wife Alma after his death and the final version in 2000 brought to us by Krause Publications in their Deer and Deer Hunting Classics Series along with his son Paul who as the last surviving member of the family held the copyright.

This last version was different than the others in that it was printed in a larger format and in addition to the original text had stories and pictures documenting the group hunting camp Larry belonged to in the Catskills of NY, it members and their relationship with him, and of his beloved Krag. There are no specific details or pictures of the camp, the members, or the Krag in the original versions although he included a chapter on modifying surplus military rifles which as we know was popular back then and centerpieces Krags in general.

Here is a link to a more recent article by Patrick Durkin who was responsible for getting the last version of the book published and does a much better job of describing the influence Koller and this book has had on so many sportsmen. He was invited back to the Catskills to hunt with some family members of the original hunting camp group. Surprisingly, he doesn't mention publication of the 2000 version of the book but all that he refers to in this article is the basis of the additional storyline added to the original text brought out in that last printing.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2020 at 10:37pm by mavt »  

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Larry Koller's Krag
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2020 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I purchased the 1970 version of the book from the Outdoor Life Book Club shortly after it was first offered.  And when the latest version came out I picked up one of those - mainly to save wear and tear on the older version. I subsequently bought several more to give as gifts to family and deer hunting friends.

When the 2000 version came out there was an article in Deer & Deer Hunting to announce it and explain why it was being made available again. The article mentioned Paul Koller was tracked down for the project and was the owner of a flyfishing shop and guide service in Missoula MT.  A couple years later the
Friday after a business trip to WA state found me driving across Idaho to Missoula for the weekend. I stayed about a mile from that shop and took a Saturday morning walk to check it out. I recognized Paul from pictures and references to him in the book  and told him I was a big fan of his father's book. He said no one had ever come into shop and mentioned the book before. He took me to his office and handed me a copy of it and then went to wait on a customer.  When he returned he said that was the first copy of the original printing sent to his father. Paul passed away in 2004 so that may have been the last printing we will see of this book.

Below is a close up of the Krag from the latest version. I read somewhere that Larry used a kit that was available back then to modify the original magazine which looks much different than the usual loading gate. I have never seen any other details on model or the origin of the rifle. Maybe someone here can enlighten us. We'll have to excuse the 308 Win cartridges used in the picture - not everyone has 30-40 cartridges hanging around.

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2020 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
The latest version of this book also pays tribute to Larry's Krag by adding an imprint of it at the end of each chapter.

I have taken the concept of a Krag sporter carbine and "Shots at Whitetails" to heart with the final configuration of my sporter SN 456713 being cut to 20" barrel (as it was before rebarrel) with standard dovetail front sight added...just wish I'd get a few more shots at them....

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2020 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing about Author Larry Koller and his works.

Must have been the influence of 'lever-guns', 'back in the day', a lot of Hunters and 'Gun Cranks' use to like to Flatten the Krag!

Your 'Sporter' turned out nice. Your Grand-Kids will love it!

Attached Photos honoring Deer Camp spirit & traditions that also inspired humorous tales of: "Escanaba in the Moon Light", the Soddy Family Deer Camp and 'Da Jimmer', (Jim McGhee from Menominee).
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2020 at 6:20am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint