Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Question on sights! (Read 3192 times)
TheFlynn01
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Question on sights!
May 25th, 2020 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone! I fixed the stock on my Krag, and got her out to shoot and it’s a blast! I only have one question, the front sight is hard for me to see, any tips? Paint or something I can remove? Did Krags have any scopes? Thank you much for all the info!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Question on sights!
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Hi, Flynn.

You ask a good question about your Krag's front sight. It is hard to pick up quickly and focus on when you are shooting. With the rifle 30 inch barrel, there's a long sighting distance to be able to have both in focus while looking at your target.

I'll add a couple points and others may chime in with comments also.

First, you need good light on your front sight to be able to see it well. It is dark and yes you can paint a little bright paint on to pick it up easier, if you wish. I make sure my front sight blade is sharp to give me a good edge to focus with.

Many Krag rifles and carbines have been adapted and altered to have a peep rear sight back near the bolt or a scope mount from drilling and tapping the left receiver to place a mount on. These sporterized Krags that have been permanently altered lose much, if not all, of their military collectible value. But, they can be good hunting or shooting rifles with the scope or peep sight. There are some "no drill" peep sights that can be used. This peep sight still uses the front sight blade to focus with.

Keep in mind, also, with open metal sights like on the Krag that you are trying to bring into focus three different distances at once- your rear sight notch or peep hole, your front sight blade and your target. This is really impossible, so, you have to have something slightly out of focus.

This is the skill of sighting- to use these three points to repeatedly be able to have a good sight picture before pulling (pressing) the trigger. Many people spend years trying to accomplish this. Most people have vision problems that make sighting like this difficult. Astigmatism can make sighting challenging as can regular age changes in vision.

We have also discussed the benefits of one Krag rear sight compared to others.

So, there are a few thoughts on your good question. Lighting, focus and steadiness make for good shooting practice with open sights.

Good luck and keep us informed!

IP Logged

TheFlynn01
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2020 at 2:08am
Print Post  
What would you recommend to brighten up the end sight? What kinda paint?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2020 at 2:42am
Print Post  
FWIW:

'Day-Glo' nail polish will make a sight-blade stand out!

1 power reading glasses help me see the sights more clearly. (I'm 'far-sighted' and only need glasses, 2X, for reading and close work).

You can make a thicker front-blade and thin the lower part to fit into the front-base 'slot'.

IP Logged

TheFlynn01
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2020 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Hmmm Day glo I will look into that thank you.

What about scopes? What scope, if any, did the Krag have? What can be used without drilling into my gun, because I refuse to do that.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2020 at 3:41am
Print Post  
How much money ya got?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2020 at 3:50am
Print Post  
Probably, the best Scope option is a 'rail', that places a long eye-relief Scope out on the barrel, 'Scout Rifle' style.
This barrel mount uses the rear-sight holes and requires the hand-guard and rear-sight be left off the rifle.

A vendor, "Kraghaus", listed in KCA Classifieds, makes and sells this mount.

The S&K company makes a 'no-drill' scope-mount for the U.S. Krag. This mount is off-set to the left and requires the removal of some stock wood.

Receiver mounted scopes on the Krag have to be 'off-set' to allow ejection. Also, some type of 'cheek-pad' is needed or you soon get a stiff neck.
There may also be interference with using the issue 'safety'.

BTW - There are lots of Krags, often cheap, that have been 'drilled and tapped' for a scope. Sometimes an extra, 'special purpose', Krag is a good idea!

Attached photo - A model 1898 carbine ruined by scope holes, but, still a useful 'shooter'.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - May 26th, 2020 at 6:21am
Print Post  
Has anyone ever seen a 'scope mount which only attaches to the side plate? Would seem that is something that should have been explored, back in the day. Would have saved a LOT of receivers.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2020 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 6:21am:
Has anyone ever seen a 'scope mount which only attaches to the side plate? Would seem that is something that should have been explored, back in the day. Would have saved a LOT of receivers.

I had one custom made years ago and it works quite well. Modified a shotgun side mount and had it welded on to a spare side plate. I will dig it out for pics this afternoon

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 26th, 2020 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Good idea. How come Bubba never thought of that? Woulda saved a bunch of Krags!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 26th, 2020 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
RomeoJim  had a no drill S&K scope mount on his Mauser, seems like a similar no drill mount was mentioned in an email for a Krag. Just checked the S&K site and Krags are not on the list of ex-military rifles. Not sure if they can be special ordered or not. I will check with Jim to see if he did mention a Krag S&K or not.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

If a person was interested in fast on target but not necessarily precision shooting a red dot could be used on the no drill rail. They are good for low light hunting, very little weight so there is no strain on the 2 mounting screws.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2020 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
A 'side-plate' rig that mimicked the Norwegian sniper mount would be a neat thing.
(There certainly are a lot of loose side-plates around, with bad cosmetic blemishes, to serve the purpose).

IP Logged

S99VG
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2020 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Redfield made a Sourdough site that fit the Krag front post.  I used to have one.  Not ony are they thicker but have a brass insert at the top.  It's a square post sight.  You might be ablto kake one out of a Sourdough for a 03 - they turn up more often.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - May 26th, 2020 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Might be easier and less expensive to buy a nice sporterized Krag for around $400 with a scope attached!

There are many fro sale out there and lots of variations to choose from.

IP Logged

mavt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - May 26th, 2020 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Williams has an inexpensive receiver sight model for the Krag that mounts  on the right side  of the receiver. It is drill and tap but only if you want it to be. I had one on my sporter (see SN 456713 thread) I attached with JB Weld along for with a regular front sight base for 12 yrs. 

There are also old EL Rice peep sights out there that mount on the extractor and are less than other options mentioned (see same sporter thread for picture of a Rice sight).

May not be ok in regulated shoots but for casual shooting you will see better than with the issued sight options.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint