Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1898 Krag Carbine Serial Number Help (Read 1607 times)
BenW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 Krag Carbine Serial Number Help
Jun 3rd, 2020 at 4:20am
Print Post  
I just bought a model 1898 krag carbine and have been trying to figure out whether it saw service in the Spanish American War. I've been scratching my head now going through the serial number excel sheet because the serial number of my rifle is 467968, but the highest carbine serial number I see is 429596, and that particular carbine was made in 1899. How is my 1898 krag carbine a higher serial number than a later model? Also if someone could give me some help on identifying the exact model and if it saw service that'd be great too! Thanks

IP Logged

BenW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Krag Carbine Serial Number Help
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 4:21am
Print Post  
Here are links to pictures of the rifle

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
ng

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
ng

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 4:44am
Print Post  
'BenW' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. Your pictures are "locked" and can't be viewed by some. It is better if you post pictures using the KCA tools.

It is most likely you have a U.S. model 1898 Krag rifle that some civilian has made into a "carbine".

Springfield Armory only made 5,002 model 1898 carbines. They fall basically in the 118,000 to 125,000 serial number range.

Springfield Armory began making model 1899 carbines at around serial number 226,701, starting in September 1899.

Your Krag, #429596, was assembled around December, 1902, to January,1903, as a U.S. model 1898 rifle.

We would all enjoy seeing photos of your Krag.
Detailed 'close-ups' of markings, sights, and muzzle area, always reveal the best feedback.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2020 at 7:12am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

BenW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 4:52am
Print Post  
My bad, just made them public. The pictures were too large to be added as attachments when I was trying.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 7:08am
Print Post  
BenW - Your Krag was altered long ago for Hunting by a civilian.

It was cut-down from a 30 inch infantry barrel and the rifle stock was shortened to carbine length.

It has the model 1902 ('Dickson') rifle rear-sight.
The 'banded' front-sight appears to be a 1903 Springfield sight; this was a common practice on cut-down barrels.

Your stock and metal have been refinished. The receiver appears to have some 'plugged' holes, that likely were for a commercial off-set scope-mount.

It also looks like you have screw holes, metal removed from the side-plate, the magazine cut-off is removed and a notch cut in the stock, to accommodate a Lyman 'peep'-sight, like the one in the attached picture.

(I am not trashing your Krag; just identifying what I see).

Your Krag has lost its collector value. It still has a lot of use and fun value as a shooter & utility rifle.

This is the type of Krag many members of this forum started with and still enjoy.
"May you find it the start of a beautiful relationship"!

BTW - Model 1898 Krag rifles saw some use during the Philippine Insurrection and campaigns against the Moro's.

IP Logged

BenW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Thank you for your help!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint